Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 07:24 AM   #1
cedrec
AF Newbie

Pepboys Futura Tires

Hello:

I'm new to this forum, so forgiveme if someone allready asked this.

Anyone checked the Pepboy's Futura Enforcer and Dakota tires?

The Enforcer is an Mud type and the Dakota is an AT. I would like to get the Enforcers 31x10.5r15 for my 2001 4WD Xterra, they are around $97.00 ea.
What are your opinion about these tires?
Thanks for your help!

cedrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 09:42 AM   #2
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
From what I understand they are sourced from cooper. I have heard decent things about these tires and should preform well for general offroad duty.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:12 PM   #3
XSAL
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang
From what I understand they are sourced from cooper. I have heard decent things about these tires and should preform well for general offroad duty.
I agree... I have set of them for about 13,000 miles so far. They performed well on the muddy trail where BFG A/T and Scorpion A/T had a hard time (those are the tires two other NCCX members had at that time). They did well with rock crawling as well. However, if you often go to trails where you need to worry about more sidewall protection, you might want to choose other brands. I am very happy with them. ..I am not sure if I'll pick them again after this set, though.
XSAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 11:58 PM   #4
O1SalsaX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to O1SalsaX Send a message via Yahoo to O1SalsaX
I'm actually looking into the 265-75r16 (32"X10.5") model of the Futura enforcer m/t. I owned 235-75r15 Enforcer on my S-10 blazer and those tires kicked major ass, only downfall (or plus) they were noisy as hell. And at $97 each or $380 for 4 tires with a 35,000 mile warranty, you cant really argue. BFG doesnt offer ANY treadwear warranty not even on their AT tires.
If you are only going to get 31X10.5s then why dont you get TrXus tires by Interco (also make super swampers). I havent heard anythnig bad about these tires, and they are only about $105 or so per tire.
If you want to go with 32X10.5s (265-75r16) Trxus tires. Steinism is selling his lightly used set for $75 per tire and $90 for the spare. They dont have much mileage at all.
Good luck
O1SalsaX
O1SalsaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:38 PM   #5
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
The traction of the M/Ts is pretty good for the price. However, the side wall protection is really weak. The rubber compound is super soft! I've got some 3 and 4" cuts and more gashes than I can count. Most of my lugs have chunks or slices in them. I would replace them because I'm always crawling rocks but I need to get a couple other mods in so I can jump up to 33's.
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:51 PM   #6
cedrec
AF Newbie

Talking

Thanks for your information!

I just installed a set of Pepboy's 31x10.5r15 Enforcer's and I like them a lot. they look good too.
After searching around the diferent tire shop's I decided that for the money
theres no better tires around. Specially after I got their insurance, if it breaks I get a new tire.

Can't beat that!

Again guys theanks for your help!

Next I will be getting the ARB winch bumper!

Cedrec
Old 07-06-2002, 04:06 PM   #7
Jackk
AF Newbie

Angry FUTURA CHALLENGER GTH

Haven't had experience with the Enforcer tires talked about here but, have just had an experience with the Futura Challenger GTH tires. They just went out of warranty (90 day warranty) only had 3600 miles when I noticed a large bulge in the sidewall. When I went back they said I had to pay $47.00 for a new one. Thats almost what I paid just three months ago.
I'll never go to Pep Boys for tires again.
Jack
Jackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 06:09 PM   #8
AF Newbie

where does the 50,000 mile warranty on challenger GTH tires fit into that?
37143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:20 AM   #9
Jackk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by 37143
where does the 50,000 mile warranty on challenger GTH tires fit into that?
Pep Boys says I should have purchased the road hazard insurance. I maintain that a bubble is a tire defect.
I did not mention, the same day I purchased the tires, one went flat for no obvious reason (no puncture, no cut, no pothole, nothing). On July 8 one tire went flat on the Jersey Turnpike, again no obvious reason. The only conclusion, defective tires.
Jackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #10
AF Newbie

I think you have very good reason to take issue with what you've been told so far. The warranty doesn't appear to require you to take 'extra' insurance. Go complain, you have nothing to loose.
37143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 01:56 PM   #11
XMan9
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackk

Pep Boys says I should have purchased the road hazard insurance. I maintain that a bubble is a tire defect.
I did not mention, the same day I purchased the tires, one went flat for no obvious reason (no puncture, no cut, no pothole, nothing). On July 8 one tire went flat on the Jersey Turnpike, again no obvious reason. The only conclusion, defective tires.

when you get new tires, sometimes you get a bead leak. sometime you get a stem leak also...
Old 09-10-2002, 08:26 AM   #12
phantomdr
AF Newbie

How loud are they??

Anyone know how loud these tires are on the road?? Any basis of comparison? They sound good, but if they are noisy enough on the road to be annoying, then a few extra buck may be well spent. Any experiences here? Thanks!
phantomdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:26 AM   #13
cedrec
AF Newbie

Hello:

Here is a picture (hopefully I got right this time) of my Xterra with these tires. They're really good for the money. I think that noise is not as bad as other tires, probably like the BFG's M/T.

In the highway, with windows, A/C, and radio up, all I feel is a slight humming. I don't know if tires with similar thread design might have similar noise levels.

I used them in mud, sand, and rocks (not rockcrawling) and I had no problems so far.

Happy trails!
cedrec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p8240018.jpg (83.8 KB, 5312 views)
Old 12-01-2002, 11:08 AM   #14
ktjensen
AF Newbie

All Terreign version

I am thinking of buying the all terreign version of these tires (285x75x16 size). The advantage is:

1. Tire is cheap at $100 (versus $200)
2. Treadwear is 50,000 miles
3. Roadhazard is available.

Disadvantage is:

1. Sidewall is soft with not much protection at all.
2. Size is not available in a larger 315x75x16.
3. May wear out faster (not sure if true).
ktjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 12:41 PM   #15
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I understand needing to keep expenses down, but tires are the contact point between your truck and the road. Just keep in mind how important that contact is for your safety and your truck.

Just a thought.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail