Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 02:54 AM   #1
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Dual batteries and optima weight stuff.

Does anyone know the weight of the optima batteries compared to the factory battery?

Reason I ask is because I found a potentially good place to put a second battery, but most people wouldn't want to do it if it adds too much weight. Basically, I was under the front of my X and realized that there is tons of room behind the ARB on the passenger side. I don't have a winch, but I don't think that would affect the end section. Anyway, I was thinking a tray could be built up in there to hold a second battery and it would be close to the other one. If the Optimas are lighter, then a reduction of weight in the regular spot would help to balance out the extra weight in the corner of the bumper, I think.

has anyone else thought of this or am I the only one coming up with silly ideas?

Old 07-08-2001, 07:11 AM   #2
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Chuck,

There are a number of people looking for alternatives for mounting dual batteries. I was forced to locate mine in the rear over the rear wheels (a good place to mount them for weight distribution) so I could make room for my air compressor. The only negative side to mounting it in the bumper is if an accident occurs. It puts the battery in harms way and creates a potential fire hazard if it should short in an accident. I wish Nissan gave us more room under the hood. Making stuff fit can be quite a trick.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 09:19 AM   #3
gothamist
AF Regular

I thought of that as well...

But I ditched the idea because I'm always dropping my ARB into water holes (edge of streams and the like), and I don't want to submerse the battery.

Good luck if you end up trying it though!
Old 07-08-2001, 09:50 AM   #4
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Im not much of a 4wd expert, but isnt being worried about the extra couple of kilos a battery will add a bit unnessacry? You guys seem pretty into your off road work, (why else would you need the extra battery) so your going to be carrying lots of extra gear anyway, things like spare wheels, chains, ropes, etc, not to mention really heavy things like passangers. I really dont think you could ever feel any diffrence from adding an extra battery.
And if your worried about dunking it, then try one of the new Sealed gel types, they can be mounted anywhere, in any position, and are deemed less of a fire hazard. They can be hard to find, but because of thier upside down mouting ablity, and very steady current supply are often used by Car Audio guys. So if you cant find one at the usual spots, try a car Audio supplier.
Old 07-08-2001, 10:21 AM   #5
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

I have been looking for a place for a second battery for some time.

I are with War I wish that they had made some more room under the hood.

I would not want the battery under the ARB I don't think that this is the best place for it. I would like it to be a little more protected from the elements (Water, Mud, Snow, etc...).

I still think that once I get a new bumper and more the spare either to the back or the top I will look at getting a box made for the rear portion of the truck. This will be where I will put the battery and possibly other stuff.

re:silly ideas

My last resort will be to mount a big hood scoop and hide the battery in there

I will call it my "Power Bulge"

rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 10:37 AM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I still wonder if you couldn't use a battery box like War has in his truck, and put the 2nd Optima in the rear right behind the center console? Seems like there would be lots of bolting options, and it wouldn't effect your passengers since they could use both doors to get in. They would just have problems sliding across.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 03:18 PM   #7
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

That could be an idea.
You keep the space in the back and lose the space that you never use anyways. Just need to check if the seats still fold down (I think that there is enough room).

So when are you going to add this so that the rest of us can copy it

I think that I will wait until the summer ends before I tackle the dual battery. I'm always busy going away on weekends to devote the time this project needs.

rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 07:22 PM   #8
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dual batteries and optima weight stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH

has anyone else thought of this or am I the only one coming up with silly ideas?

Ahh...glad to see I'm not the only silly-minded fool out there: see this link! & read the third post down.
xterrabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 08:18 PM   #9
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Dual batteries and optima weight stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull

Ahh...glad to see I'm not the only silly-minded fool out there: see this link! & read the third post down.
Ha...guess I missed that post or didn't read it carefully! Others are right about the water factor and such, but I still think it could possibly work if properly sealed for the folks that dump their bumper. With an Optima I wouldn't think an accident would be much of an issue. Infact, the factory battery is probably more of an issue in the current spot due to the acid. Anyway, I'm not really thinking of putting a second battery in at this point...just thinking for others!

Old 07-08-2001, 08:23 PM   #10
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Moppie,

Weight in general is not much of an issue. What I was concerned about is placement of the weight. Almost all the folks who would want a second battery have winches up front already. Adding the bumpers and the winches alone puts huge amounts of extra stress on the front torsion bars and shocks. Adding a battery up there puts even more weight out in front of the front axle and the spot I'm talking about would also put the weight off to the right. So, as you could imagine, the right front of the truck could become more bouncy than the left side and maybe even upgraded torsion bars would not like the extra lbs. Just have to cover all the bases!
Old 08-02-2001, 10:36 AM   #11
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

There is a "how to" article in the September 2001 issue of 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility on setting up dual batteries. For saving space they have an idea I haven't seen anyone mention. The article says that for your second battery you can use two Optima 6 volt batteries. I haven't investigated the situation, but maybe you could fit two 6 volt batteries under the hood easier than an extra 12 volt battery.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 10:53 AM   #12
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG
The article says that for your second battery you can use two Optima 6 volt batteries. I haven't investigated the situation, but maybe you could fit two 6 volt batteries under the hood easier than an extra 12 volt battery.

Goth looked into that and then (IIRC) decided against it.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 11:58 PM   #13
gothamist
AF Regular

re: 2 6 volt batteries

I did look into it pretty extensively, and was ready to place my order for the isolator, wiring, and batteries to do it, but when I realized the 6 volt cells cost as much each as the 12 volt ones, and you do reduce your reserve capacity a bit by running the two 6 volt batteries in series (as compared to one 12v battery), I lost interest. I still think it's the easiest way to get a dual battery setup into the engine compartment but since the prime mounting location ended up being where I mounted my QuickAir2 air compressor, the project is on hold indefinitely for me.

Maybe one of these days...but I'm certainly willing to let someone else try this mod first if they feel like it. If you have any questions about it though feel free to ask...as MT mentioned I did scope this option out pretty well. Warmonger also knows quite a bit about the whole dual battery setup as well...
Old 08-03-2001, 04:31 AM   #14
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
As I have said to several people in regard to my dual battery setup, you better have the time to devote to it. It is not a project for the non-mechanically minded! I don't regret doing mine at all. But be prepared to do a lot of research and planning to make it work on an Xterra. They make bolt-ons for a Jeep, but us Nissan folks are on our own.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:50 AM   #15
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger
As I have said to several people in regard to my dual battery setup, you better have the time to devote to it. It is not a project for the non-mechanically minded! I don't regret doing mine at all. But be prepared to do a lot of research and planning to make it work on an Xterra. They make bolt-ons for a Jeep, but us Nissan folks are on our own.
what is the difference between the bolt on kits for a jeep and what needs to happen for the X? i remember us talking a little when we were on the plant tour, but because of my lack of electrical knowledge i still didn't get it enough to say i understand the issues.

my questions would be, If i were to buy the kit from PNW power that is for the TJ, why couldn't I modify the cable lengths a bit and put it on the X? If I were to put the battery in the arb or in a waterproof tray up under my skid plates wouldn't that work? If i recall correctly from our conversation before the added cable lengths posed a problem for you, but you were going all the way to cargo area with yours, which i am not going to do.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote