Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
01.se.v6.xterra
AF Newbie

Unhappy noise from the engine compartment!

I have a 2001 SE V6 with 80,000 that has a ticking noise that has occured ever since I bought the car used at 40,000. The noise is a ticking noise coming from the center of the engine compartment. The ticking seems to become a rattling sound under extreme loads, such as climbing a hill at 4500rpm

The noise occurs at cold-start and while under load such as when towing or driving up a hill. It only occurs while driving in gear. If the noise is occuring and I rev the engine in neutral it does not occur (possibly emliminating a loose heat-shiled as the source).

I have taken it to the Nissan dealership multiple times! They first replaced the manifold, no change. Then they changed the timing belt, no change. I have tried using 92 octane gas for several weeks, no change.

Besides the noise it is a great truck.

Help!!!!!!1
01.se.v6.xterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: noise from the engine compartment!

Did they replace both exhaust manifolds? The fuel injectors can also give off a noise that sounds like a broken manifold even though they're operating correctly.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
01.se.v6.xterra
AF Newbie

Thank you for your response. I think they may have only replaced one. The problem has existed and documented prior to my warrany expiration, but what can I expect the charge for a new manifold (beefier 2003?) or feul injectors?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Re: noise from the engine compartment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01.se.v6.xterra
Thank you for your response. I think they may have only replaced one. The problem has existed and documented prior to my warrany expiration, but what can I expect the charge for a new manifold (beefier 2003?) or feul injectors?
Well if it's documented then you shouldn't have to pay since they didn't fix a broken manifold (if that's the problem). I think it runs around $450, but don't quote me. If you search there is a price somewhere in the forum. Replacement manifolds are all the beefier ones now. The injectors can make a noise (albeit quieter) like a broken manifold, but it doesn't mean they're faulty, just noisy.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
paul89se
AF Newbie

sounds like it could be lifter noise. Also, you could have a loose spark plug. It will sound like a light tapping if a spark plug is loose.
paul89se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
01.se.v6.xterra
AF Newbie

Just got back from the dealer. It is the other exhaust manifold. I opened a claim with Nissan to try and get it cover. I have documentation, so I hope it goes through. Thank you for your help, I'll let you know how things work out.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail