Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 10:34 PM   #1
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Horn inoperative

The horn on my 1995 TS has stopped working. This is the first year GM installed an air bag on the steering wheel. Horn will not sound however I press on the center.
momentarily connecting ground to the horn signal wire on the 11 pin steering wheel to body connector located under steering column will get the horn to blow, so the problem is between that connector and the horn pad.
The manual is rather sparse on information about the horn function on the steering wheel. Not sure if the horn function is part and parcel of the air bag ie if there is a problem there the whole air bag has to be replaced, or if the horn button switch ( p/n 17999094 ) can be replaced separately.
If so does the air bag have to be totally removed, or can the cover just be removed as the air bag remains in place?
Anyone been down this road before?
Thanks
Jeff
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Re: Horn inoperative

Well, removed the airbag exposing the 2 horn contacts. Pressing either button made the horn blow. The contacts are actuated by a pair of bumps on the back of the airbag that rest over the horn contacts. They are fixed to the frame of the airbag and do not move in or out when the airbag cover is pressed. I presume the entire air bag moves when the cover is pressed to close the switch contacts. I cleaned the contacts with a bit of emery cloth followed by contact cleaner. It does take a fair bit of pressure, but the horn is working.
In the second pic the airbag is rotated 90 degrees; the right side is actually the top of the airbag. Those cone shaped bumps are what presses on the contacts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airbag1resize.jpg (297.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg airbag2resize.jpg (292.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Jeffrv; 06-30-2022 at 09:36 PM. Reason: pics uploaded
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport