Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
chasemclamb7
AF Newbie

Installation of Classic Instrument Cluster for Modern car

I figured I would post this in the classic section because I thought y'all might have more experience as far as restoration related installations.

I have a '96 Cavalier, and I want to install a classic instrument cluster...something from the 1950's (i've specifically looked at bel-air clusters, but am open to other suggestions)......Is this possible?? If so I have no idea where to start....what would this project entail? Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks
-Chase
chasemclamb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Installation of Classic Instrument Cluster for Modern car

Well, almost anything is possible.

The gauges from a classic panel are easy enough to wire up. Likely you will have to replace the coolant temp and oil pressure senders with ones that are compatible with the cluster.

For decades, GM used a 0-90 ohm variable resistor for the gas gauge. You will have to study some wiring diagrams to see if the Cav sender is compatible with the classic cluster.

Most of the early 50's clusters were designed for 6 volt electrical systems. One can get power supply resistors to drop the 12-14 volts in a modern system down to 6 volts to power the cluster. (The rest of the car would remain 12 volts, though.)

But by 1955, most cars were 12 volt, so this may not be a problem.

The tricky part would be the speedo and odo. The Cav units are electronic, whereas the 50's items were mechanical, with a speedo cable. I think there is no way to hook up a speedo cable to the Cav transmission, unless you retro-fit an early -80's transmission.

It maybe more practical to remove the actual Cav electronic speedo mechanism and retro-fit it to the old cluster. This would likely require some precision fabrication at best. At worst, it may not fit at all.

An alternative is to use a new retro-look cluster. There are several companies who make retro-look gauges or even entire clusters aimed at the custom car hobbyists, who work with 1930's, 40's or 50's era cars. These clusters are all modern electronics with a look that is compatible with the 1950's. Also, these clusters are kits intended for custom installation in cars, complete with all senders, wiring and instructions.

Have a look on your local magazine store for some mags directed at the custom car hobbyists for availability (these magazine names elude me right now)

Usually these gauges are designed to be set in a piece of sheet aluminum, polished wood etc that has been cut to fit the instrument cluster opening. You would need to have some decent metal working,wood working and electrical fabrication skills to make this project work.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars