Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Almera | Sunny | Pulsar | Bluebird | Tiida | Versa | NX | Avenir | Tino | Stanza
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
sherlok
AF Newbie

89 pulsar 1.8L ran outta gas, now doesnt run. help?

So heres the deal..my 89 pulsar just died today driving home on the highway, due to a lack of petrol. Went and got a jerry with gas, and put it in. Car was hard to start, but made it up the street to the gas station where i filled it and it didnt start up. I 'pushstarted' my car and got it running fine for about 2 km's where all of a sudden the power was gone. When ever i tried to give it gas it felt like i was applying the breaks, then i put it in neutral, pulled over and got a tow home.
Later...
Tried to jump the car, the battery was almost completely dead and didnt turn over the car the first couple cranks but after a few minutes it started up for a few mins. It ran for a couple minutes, it idled about 1200 then to 600 then i reved it up a bit, until the gas petal did the same thing it did earlier, the gas petal seemed to kill the car but without pushing it, it would die anyway. this is the dilema..any and all help is appreciated.
sherlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
mwolvin
AF Regular

Re: 89 pulsar 1.8L ran outta gas, now doesnt run. help?

Sounds like it may not be getting enough gas. Try checking the filter to see if it's clogged. If that's not the case, I'd move on to the fuel pump. Check to see the pressure and volume of gas you're getting.
mwolvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
sherlok
AF Newbie

I think it might be the alternator, it would explain the lack of power in teh battery, and the dead battery would explain why the electric fuel pump stopped working, and the efi for that matter..I will check the fuel filter tho..
sherlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
mmcleo11
AF Regular

Agreed, fuel filter and/or fuel pump.

The fuel pump has probably sucked all the dirt/water off the bottom of your fuel tank and clogged up the filter. Letting it sit for a few hours means all the crap can run back out of the fuel filter and remove the blockage until pressure blocks it again.

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
pokey69
AF Newbie

Definatly agree on the feul pump part, if you run them dry, they have a habit of not working after that.
pokey69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Almera | Sunny | Pulsar | Bluebird | Tiida | Versa | NX | Avenir | Tino | Stanza