Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
SniperX13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to SniperX13
Head Gasket Question.

Ok, we were looking for a cheap vehicle for my brother in law, and we came across a 1998 chevy S-10 pickup with the 2.2L 4cyl. It's also a 5spd. The engine has roughly 155k miles on it. It needs a new headgasket. The vehicle is 400 asking price, with about 50 bucks for the new gasket and head bolts.

my question is.... what else could be wrong? what do I need to check when or if we go look at it. what all needs to be done after we change the gasket. I would assume that changing the oil and radiator fluid is probably a must.

would the gasket fail again? would it be worth purchasing and repairing? would it be reliable? He is a single father with kids. he needs something dependable to get him back and forth to work.

thanks for the help
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: Head Gasket Question.

timing chain set will definitely be required

Otherwise, hard to say.

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

If the head gasket just failed, replacing it will be all that's required. If it was run long with the gasket blown, chances are the head or block surface is not going to seal again without machine work.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I have always thought that compact pick ups make great alternatives to cars for cheap transport.
I have owned two cheap s-10 beaters, both were excellent, relaible, useful vehicles.

At least if the head gasket blew, the vehicle was running at the time; a good sign.

As noted above, the head would have to be removed and inspected by a decent machine shop, at least for straightness on all machined surfaces, cracks, especially around the valve seats, and valve seat and stem wear.

At worst, a rebuilt cylinder head would be required, which would be $200 - 300 for the part.

Have a close look at the oil. If it looks a bit old, but not milky, likely the oil was not contaminated with coolant.
If the oil looks really clean, it may have been changed to disguise such contamination.
If it is milky and contaminated, the engine bearings may be damaged and might require an engine rebuild.

IMO, if the rest of the truck is solid and in good shape, the price is a decent bargain.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical