Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
flashlight
AF Regular

Fuel Saver Chip

Just wanted to know if anyone has put one of those fuel saving chips in a Geo Metro. And do you think that it would get even better fuel mileage than it already does?
flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fuel Saver Chip

I've grown very skeptical of these 'chips.' I equate them with the bottles 'octane booster' at the local gas stations and autozones.

-MechanicMatt

1993 Geo Metro - Accident

1991 Caprice 9c1 - Destroyed

91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

OK...I'll take the bait.

What are you talking about?

What chip?

Where do you get it and where does it go.....?

What is it 'supposed' to do ?

Is this a chip for $19.95 sold by the bearded TV guy (Hi! Billy Mays here for Oxy Clean!)
who yells at you while energetically pouring fake Ink on a shirt and making it disappear....?
(With simple high school chemistry).

BUT WAIT....be the first caller and they'll include a used 1990 one liter engine
block for free - you just pay the extra shipping costs!

Shipping and handling is $8.95....just give them your Credit Card number...?

DoctorBill

DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
flashlight
AF Regular

First I would like to say that I know a guy that has one on his truck and it does happen to work for him. As for where it goe and everything it's supposed to connect to a sensor on the engine. It's made to increase the fuel mileage and the horsepower of your car.
flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

So what are they called and where does one get them?

I have never heard of such a thing.

Harbor-Freight sells strong magnets to place around the fuel line that are supposed
to "magnetize" the fuel molecules and give better mileage....lol.

I placed one around my fuel line, but it just pinched it and made it hurt.
Had to take it off.....couldn't drain the fluid.

DoctorBill

Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Woodie83
AF Enthusiast

These can work, somewhat. They can't work to live up to the puffery used to sell them. A $20 bit that increases power AND mileage? And the car companies who spend millions don't use them? Right. What it is is a 10 cent resistor which you install on a sensor, usually the coolant temperature or incoming air temperature sensor. It fools the computer into thinking that the car is cold, it adds fuel and timing giving you better performance. Wastes fuel, increases unburnt hydrocarbon pollution and kills your cat faster. Or you could spec it the other way and it would deliver less fuel, boosting mileage, cutting performance, increasing NOX pollution with skyrocketing combustion chamber temperature. You could install a variable resistor on the dash and spin it like a crazy man trying to keep up, or you could let the very sophisticated computer do it's job, which it does pretty well, managing performance, mileage, emissions, and longevity in a nice balance.

98 Metro and 06 Aerio SX

Don't waste your vote on one or the other of the Republicrats, vote for Gary Johnson and really do something for a change
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

Woodie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

So what are you try to say, Woodie83 ?

You don't think a little magic device sold by Dr. Wonka's DNA Emporium and Beauty Salon
is a good product.

BUT WAIT!

For being the first caller, they will include two Bass Lures and a pair of Pruning Shears!

If you are nor completely satisfied, simply return the unused Magic Chip and they
will refund the price within the next ten Solar Sun Spot Cycles. You keep the Bass Lure and
Pruning Shears with their Complements.

Send all returns to

Dr. Wonka's DNA Emporium and Beauty Salon
Suite 1001 End of Culvert
Algae Island, Lake Michigan 00092-0000
USA

Did I miss anything?

DoctorBill

Old 11-20-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
91Caprice9c1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie83
These can work, somewhat. They can't work to live up to the puffery used to sell them. A $20 bit that increases power AND mileage? And the car companies who spend millions don't use them? Right. What it is is a 10 cent resistor which you install on a sensor, usually the coolant temperature or incoming air temperature sensor. It fools the computer into thinking that the car is cold, it adds fuel and timing giving you better performance. Wastes fuel, increases unburnt hydrocarbon pollution and kills your cat faster. Or you could spec it the other way and it would deliver less fuel, boosting mileage, cutting performance, increasing NOX pollution with skyrocketing combustion chamber temperature. You could install a variable resistor on the dash and spin it like a crazy man trying to keep up, or you could let the very sophisticated computer do it's job, which it does pretty well, managing performance, mileage, emissions, and longevity in a nice balance.
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want to try this for cheap(er), stick your IAT in the oven at ~100-120°F and measure it's resistance. Go buy a resistor with measured value and install it at the IAT connector all by itself. Keep a sensative ear out for pinging, especially on cold days. Same hack garbage.

Go get a bottle of octane booster while you're at it. Adding a bottle of the "Nitro" brand is like having a supercharger, a turbo, and a nitrous system - all in one easy-to-pour bottle! Easy 50HP increase at the wheels AND better fuel economy to boot! Take that turbo cars!!

-MechanicMatt

1993 Geo Metro - Accident

1991 Caprice 9c1 - Destroyed

91Caprice9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
HannabilRox
AF Newbie

OK folks, I can say for sure I have tried the resistor route. I actually contacted someone who purchased a "10+ MPG magic chip" off eBay. This "chip" actually ended up being a 4.7K ohm resistor that was inserted in the IAT (Intake Air Tempurature) sensor connector once removed from the sensor. So I have tried various resistances. One eBay ad claims that the ideal air temp is 56 degrees F and that they will be sending you a 3,000 (3.0K)ohm resistor. According to the books, it should be around 4,900 (4.9K) ohms for the resistor to match 56 degrees F. Anyway, I have tried with many tanks of gas, and not a one has made any significant change to my MPG, sometimes it lowered it. However, in most cases the motor was definitely more "peppy". I have tried 2.2K, 3.3K, 3.9K, 4.7K and 5.6K and NEVER saw a measurable MPG increase. I drive at least 160 miles a week in a mixed highway / city environment in a 1992 2 door hatchback GEO Metro 1.0 L engine w/ a 3 speed automatic transmission.

Check out item # 230193745130 on eBay to see what is said. There are a half dozen or so people selling these "amazing" performance / fuel saving chips!
HannabilRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

As W.C. Fields said...

that seems to be the worldwide philosophy these days.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
dwendt1978
AF Regular

This goes right along with these clowns on ebay selling chips for 25 more hp for a geo metro. You morons the engine is a whopping 55hp. So for 10 bucks I can up it to 80? What a bunch of idiots. Selling stuff like that ought to be illegal. Should email those sellers and tell them what a rip off that stuff is.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro