Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
INF3RN0666
AF Regular

The IAC is acting up...

Whats up

The other day, I had the key to "ON" but the engine wasn't running. I went to the hood and opened it to hear a clicking sound. I felt around and noticed that the IAC is opening and closing randomly. This leads me to wonder if my car is possessed. For example, the relays will randomly start clicking sometimes. Sometimes the car refuses to start on the first try although the battery and alternator are fine. Sometimes, my signal lights refuse to work, but suddenly work flawlessly. One time, my radio would play for 2 seconds and then shut off, but it hasn't done that in a month. LOL, somebody help me?!?!! I'm replacing the ECU for the sake of replacing it and eliminate that suspicion. What do you think about the rest?
INF3RN0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

Re: The IAC is acting up...

I'd guess all the symptoms are being caused by a poor ground connection somewhere. I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals and the mating surfaces of the connectors with a wire brush. I don't like to reassemble them dry - I smear them with a protective coating of Vaseline™ petroleum jelly prior to reassembly, or you could get proper dielectric grease from your autoparts store. Also remove, clean, and put a protective coating on the heavy-duty ground lead which runs from the battery negative terminal to the engine block - I mean remove it and clean it at the engine end of the lead. If you have a ground lead running from the battery negative terminal to the vehicle body then do the same with that one too, and if there are any smaller ground leads running from the negative terminal then follow those and if they're bolted onto somewhere then remove them, clean them and put some protection on them prior to reassembly. That isn't guaranteed to fix the problem but there's a good chance that it will, and it's the obvious first step in the process of elimination.
Selectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: The IAC is acting up...

ignition switch

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical