Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
CyberFyber
AF Newbie

Question Buy Rebuilt Engine...or what?

Hello, Well at long last my car's had it...or so it would seem.
It's a suzuki sidekick '95 which I've had for 3.5 years.

Took a trip to upstate New York in the mountains and I pushed it as I usually do, though that may or may not have anything to do with it.

Here it is: got stuck on the road at one point with a blown/cracked radiator. AAA man shows up and tows it away ready to order me a new one then tests it a bit and states how it's probably the head gasket or worse. Then a day or so later I had Midas up there check it out and he comes to the same conclusion......BUT, everyone seems to be going only by symptoms and such, which is what? Well, a continuous cloud of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, but they all also agree that the gook inside the radiator was most likely due to someone overloading it with some sort of sealant. (probably one of two spots I'd taken it to a week or more prior to my trip).

Anyhow, I spent plenty of money getting us back home then having to return to tow my car back down. 'and no, it was impossible doing it all in one shot for reasons I can't get into right now.

My brother inlaw (no trained mech but knows his way around) is really convinced that No, it's not the engine only because the oil looks fine and dandy (nother words, not the milk shaky residue I've read about so much now as a symptom of head gasket being blown...or cracked head and such). Hey I love the man since he's family but I don't know what to do.

We replaced the radiator today with a brand new metal one and there's still white smoke coming out the exhaust continuously. Dang! he's still convinced that it's not the engine head but hey, after he left and me doing some more research I thought to go back and let it run for a half hour or so to see if it runs its course....but then I see how the entire car's shaking. Something I'd already gone through last year and the mech back then claimed it was the spark plug wiring and such. 'and so I didn't let the engine run because of the serious shaking.

Well, now I don't know what to do. I love this car and well, all things being perfect, I'd love to keep it. BUT, cost is cost is cost and I'm getting tired of planting down good money after bad. The body is awesome as is everything else (seemingly). Don't know if the blue book value is worth a hill of beans or not, though it says that even needing a new engine the car can still demand $2K. Not a bad deal for a trade-in? or can I even get that amount from anyone?

HELP? I don't know what to do now. Should I consider a rebuilt engine?...or try to go for a trade in as is and see what I can get? OR, get that rebuilt engine and try to dump the car on someone else...of course clearly letting them know the car's history. Since I could never see myself cheating anyone. Uggggggghhhhhhhhhh
CyberFyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: Buy Rebuilt Engine...or what?

you's got a blown head gasket, cracked head, or cracked engine block. The white smoke is coolant entering the exhaust via the combustion chamber. The heavy shaking is the coolant fouling the spark plug.

You could pull the head off, and if it is just the head gasket, you'll be $60 or so lesser.

If its more, well, you could fix it. Or replace it. Is it worth it? Only you can know that

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
CyberFyber
AF Newbie

Thank you Uncle Bob....meaning what?

I'm best off with dealing with the blown head gasket altogether?...which in your mind is the total cause/problem?

'and if so, then can you recommend where I should go for a Suzuki Sidekick?....that is, a rebuilt engine?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

well, sounds like this has been an on-going issue, which makes it *more likely* to be a more expensive fix. IE, replacing head/block could be very possible.

Where to find an engine. The cheapest method by far is to get a used one. It comes with risks also.

You have multiple options. Those options vary greatly in price. Without more info, you and I can't know what is the minimum you can get away with, but the bottom line is, if you love your car, and its worse-case scenario, you will have to get a used engine at the least to fix the problem.

If you love it enough to pay for that, then you love it enough to fix it. But thats your call

Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
CyberFyber
AF Newbie

thank you UncleBob, but there's no mention of a rebuilt engine. I would never want to buy a brand new one cause of the cost and a used one is out of the question.

So, can anyone suggest a spot to look into for rebuilt engines?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

I'd assume your brother in law can pull the head off for you. Then you can figure out if its a gasket, or something worse. I think you should do that before contemplating a "new" engine.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
CyberFyber
AF Newbie

Hi vgames33 and thanks for chiming in.

Unfortunately family can go only so far in helping, and like I said, buying a "new" engine is out of the question. Which is why I'm asking for direction to getting a "Rebuilt" engine.

I'm not fully intending to do buy one yet. I just want to weigh my options and I can't do that if I don't know of a reputable seller or what the costs would be.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFyber
thank you UncleBob, but there's no mention of a rebuilt engine. I would never want to buy a brand new one cause of the cost and a used one is out of the question.

So, can anyone suggest a spot to look into for rebuilt engines?
uhh...places that sell/rebuild engines is the best place to look for rebuilt engines.

you need a phone and a phone book for that.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
CyberFyber
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob
uhh...places that sell/rebuild engines is the best place to look for rebuilt engines.

you need a phone and a phone book for that.
hehe, thanks anyway.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

If you're looking for a rebuilt engine, he's right. You're going to have to call around and see what can be done.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFyber
hehe, thanks anyway.

hehe, sorry my answer wasn't more attractive, but they don't sell rebuilt engines in the shampoo isle of Safeway......not sure what you were really asking.

If you're looking for outfits that are on the internet, I have no worthy suggestions. Due to warranty issues and shipping costs, I don't highly recommend most, and have little experience with most. At the very least, find someone that is a distributor in your area.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #12
oedipussy
AF Newbie

Why not just have your current engine rebuilt? Seems like it would be a lot cheaper than buying another rebuilt one as you'd only be paying for the parts and labor. And then at least you'd still have a numbers-matching car...

You'd have to shop around to get some prices, check with your local mechanics, or even Autozone, etc.
oedipussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
CyberFyber
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob
hehe, sorry my answer wasn't more attractive, but they don't sell rebuilt engines in the shampoo isle of Safeway......not sure what you were really asking.

If you're looking for outfits that are on the internet, I have no worthy suggestions. Due to warranty issues and shipping costs, I don't highly recommend most, and have little experience with most. At the very least, find someone that is a distributor in your area.
Thanks UncleBob and yeah, maybe I shoulda been more specific. I know very little 'bout this 'cept how everyone keeps reminding me how old this car is and how hard it'd be to find anything for it. Whether they're right or not I wouldn't have known. Thus I thought maybe there was a nifty way of my going about it.

'been away again and only now checking in here and with family. Got someone who'll look into mech's they seriously trust.

oedipussy, yup, we're looking at our options based on what a future mech will say after looking at my situation. Thanks also. :-)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical