Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
gypsumpete
AF Newbie

cold air intake sys for SBchevy

i would like to install a cold air intake (cai) on my small block chevy new engine in a full size '83 jeep cherokee. MY PLAN: run 6" aluminum tubing from front of grill (ill use a spare [or two] headlamp hole, i'm only using 2 of 4 headlamp holes left over from earlier SJ models, cherokee/wagoneers) to an air box w/ filter inside. From the air box to the carb i'd like to use an insulated tube (for denser air), and i'm not sure how to fabricate the airbox-to-carb piece (will i have to fab the piece that fits over the carb?)
p.s.1. 420 hp edlebrock 385 ci chev (@ sea lvl)
p.s.2. I live at 7500 feet
p.s.3. I'm sure i could use smaller cai tubing (than 6")
p.s.4. what type of welder is used on aluminm

thanks,
pete
gypsumpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: cold air intake sys for SBchevy

since there is no pressure worth mentioning in a naturally asperated engine, you can use the most flimsy methods imaginable to connect the pipes/airbox. I would not recommend buying a welder just for this project. Use silicone hose, rivets and silicone goop to seal/connect the setup. It might not look as bling bling as a perfectly welded setup, but frankly, you'd be a minimum of $600 in welding equipment to have even a crappy welder that could do the job, and thats assuming you had a lot of experience welding AL to pull it off and make it look decent. No experience with welding AL, forget it. It'll look like bird poop

AL is very hard to weld for the newbie and shouldn't be pursued unless you are serious about learning about welding, practicing often, and having constant projects and/or desire to do it for a living. Otherwise you'll be frustrated

But if you do wish to pursue it, either MIG or TIG can weld AL. MIG sometimes requires a spool gun, or a different wand/hose. TIG only requires AC capability. AL requires more amperage for a given thickness compared to steel. So a little 100 amp welder can't do much beyond sheet metal

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
turtlecrxsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to turtlecrxsi
Re: cold air intake sys for SBchevy

I agree. You don't really need to weld it together. I bet you can find what you need in a junkyard off of existing Jeeps or Chevys (like air boxes) and maybe if you look at some junked up ricemobiles you can snag some 3" tubing and fab up the snorkel/cai you desire. GL

turtlecrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical