Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
ice745
AF -Advisor

70-80 Amp Alternator Support 900 Watts?

I have a '94 Camry, it comes with a 70 or 80 AMP alternator. I have not checked to see which one my car came with. I have 900 watts, 500 watt Alpine Sub Amp and a 400 watt Alpine Speaker Amp. 2 Infinity Components, 2 Alpine 3-way 6x9, 2 Infinity 12" Subs.

The newbie thread says that < 1000 watts shouldn't need a new alternator. I just want to be sure, because I have an 80 AMP alternator at best, is that alright? Most alternators are at least 100 AMP, ya? I had an Interstate battery that the alternator couldn't keep charged, and I always had to put water in. Eventually that battery wouldn't hold a charge at all. Now I have Optima Yellowtop, and it's pretty alright, I just have to charge it every few months to keep it above 12. Usually it's at 12.50.

Voltage fluctuation with music playing at my preferred listening volume (loud) with Interstate battery was between 14.5 and 11.0. With Optima it's 14.5 and 12.5. Is this too stressful for the alternator, because I don't want it to blow on the highway or something. If I put a bigger alt in, I would probably use a CS144 from GM, I can get 140 AMP in the same mounting configuration. I would just have to rejigger the wiring to work, I don't imagine it will be extremely different, ya? Is there a way I can better test how the alternator is holding up now?

I have not done the Big 3 yet. And I know most of you will be like RAWR DO IT!! Ground to chassis won't be a problem. Is Ground to Engine Block ALWAYS there? Because my alternator casing is connected to metal brackets that connect to my block. I imagine if these work as that wire, then they are far superior to most wire I would put in, ya? Big 3 will also significantly reduce strain on alternator, or just increase supply to amps?

Thanks!

Fill the oil and check the gas, please.
ice745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112
Re: 70-80 Amp Alternator Support 900 Watts?

You cant increase the supply of amperage by changing a wire. You can however change the amount of current that actually gets from the alternator to the rest of the car. Using this equation but changing the 120 to 13.5 and you get 1080 watts. And i highly doubt the amps RMS is actually what they say.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
ice745
AF -Advisor

Yes, I understand the concept of watts as volts * AMPs. And I know changing wires isn't going to increase the AMP out from the source, but it will decrease inline resistance which can effectively increase the AMPs recieved by the amps. I was mainly asking if this increase is more beneficial to the amp(lifier)s, or more beneficial to the alternator. I.E. Would bigger wires cause less strain on the alternator, or more strain since it will allow more coulombs to flow.

And I understand my car has 1080 watts out of the alternator, more if it effectivly is 14.50 volts all the time... but it's not. The voltage drops I experience are indicative of too much coulomb demand, as in it is pulling too many AMPs too quick.

Now if I assume my system is what it says, 900 watts, that leaves little more than 200 watts for the rest of the car at peak points. If I take half of the RMS, 450 (about 1/4 of total power), that still only leaves 630 for the rest of the car. Is that enough for a 2.2L 4 cylinder? Or am I cutting it close and risking damage to the alternator?

Thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

What series amps are they. On my first car which was a toyota corolla i think it had like a 75 or 80 amp alternator and i was cranking close to 1k watts through it.

AS for the big three it will benefit the entire electrical system.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #5
ice745
AF -Advisor

MRV-F540 and MRD-M500 Digital

So I trust you in that the alternator should be sufficient. I will definitely do Big 3. The voltage fluctuation between 14.5 and 12.5 is ok? If the alternator does begin to die, will the high end, now 14.5, decrease? Or should I look for somethign else?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

better power wires helps both ..... as the power draw from the amp increases, the alt/battery eventually can't keep up so the voltage sags (drops), and more current must be provided to make up for the lowered voltage. The power demands from te alt are mostly dependent on your musical tastes, if you like real music then you will probably be fine - if you like mostly bass music played at very high levels then it your aly may not be strong enough.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio