Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #16
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b
Re: Quality 6.5", need help.

HAHA, DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT 240sx guy, hes an IDIOT. Listen to NGSM, he knows what he's talking about...and those brands he listed, well, CDT makes pretty much the best damn component speakers available. And Profile amps are great for the money. That setup would slaughter anything Infinity....slaughter.
(2) 15" Q's 8 cubes after 80sqin. 28hz
CDT EF-61's
Profile AP1040 on comps
NSB-100
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #17
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Quality 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13
So, if you have around $200...you can get a great set of COMPONENTS (not coaxials, these are a separate midbass, tweeter, xover) and a good amplifier to power them........

Total, it'll be $200 for good components and an amp to power them...it'll be a night and day difference. Also, the stock infinity amp is dinky...it's proly 32w PEAK and like 16w rms to each speaker...no better than a generic HU.

peace

NG
Nope. The older DCX Infinity system is only 9watts RMS per channel and 18 watts peak. So, hooking up ANY decent componet set is a waste. The stock unit is so sloppy when playing music. It distorts so bad that it's a wonder that he got 10 years out of them.

There's no way in hell that he can get a nice set of componets and amp for $200. My "decent" set with amp would be about $500. Then again, it's a waste because you have to deal with the OEM stereo.

My suggestion would be just to replace the speakers with nice sets of Coax style speakers. You'll have to bypass the amps on the old OEM speakers which is real easy.

If you want Pioneer stuff(at least it is better than what you've got) go to Ebay and do an advanced search for selzitall. He's real honest and usually you can pick up a nice Pioneer set for 1/3 the cost. Most of his stuff is either new or new returns but he checks out all of it. I've bought TONS off of him.

BTW, CDT is a great product but I just don't recomend it for this application.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Thourun

Lol ok a any more opinions? This is why I don't venture in here very much, people have so many differing opinions on what is best for other people, I just want somthing good quality for the money. I could spend maybe 250 tops on the amp and 6.5"s, the rest of my money is for performance stuff.

So whats wrong with the CDT stuff for what I want? The amp sounds like a good deal, but I dunno how good it would be for only that much, I thought non-Crappy amps were very expensive.

Remember people, I'm looking for refined quality with respectable power... like if we were talking about cars I'd want a porsche, not a top fuel dragster.
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Soon:Topline Engineering ground wires.
Thourun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #19
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thourun
Lol ok a any more opinions? This is why I don't venture in here very much, people have so many differing opinions on what is best for other people, I just want somthing good quality for the money. I could spend maybe 250 tops on the amp and 6.5"s, the rest of my money is for performance stuff.

So whats wrong with the CDT stuff for what I want? The amp sounds like a good deal, but I dunno how good it would be for only that much, I thought non-Crappy amps were very expensive.

Remember people, I'm looking for refined quality with respectable power... like if we were talking about cars I'd want a porsche, not a top fuel dragster.
Yes well, you are still bound by your OEM stereo. To me, it would be a waste of money to install anything over $100-$150 if it has to be ran from your stock radio. First thing I did when I brought home my Liberty was yank the Infinity system and sell it on Ebay. The Jeep had 12 miles on it when I did that. Just the stereo swap alone was a big plus.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #20
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Are the aftermarket headunits that good? I like the double din layout but it seems rare, how much would I have to spend to get somthing a good step up from stock?
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #21
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

If you are looking into a GREAT set of componets look at RE audio RE componets. It is amazing what mine are doing on the factory head unit right now. and from what i can gether it is 25w peak and a measly 10w RMS but one day i will break out hte multi meter and find out for sure. I cant wait to get the full 50w to each side or even 100w eventually on the midbass.
These componets are HARD to beat for the money. XBL^2 enabled and extremely underrated. i know of people putting 300w to each side with the midbass. the reason they are rated to 50w is because of the Xover and tweeter. so if yo uever want to go active it can handle it (in an enclosure. IB it doesnt need near that to reach the limits of its suspension).

However,
The tweets are harsh, so unless you like extremely non colored and very prevelant highs they either need to be aimed away (no on axis listening) or need to be EQed.

CDT is a wonderful componet company and Crystal audio isnt bad either. JL audio's componets are nice, but their midbass's sometimes add too much of their own perspective (color the music) in some cases.

if you really want to step up into some serious Midbass look at RE's XXX 6.5's or Adire's Kodas. These are all well above what you are thinking of but if you ever want to upgrade power wise they can always handle it and will just get even more great.

look in my thread
"bow before thy mater, bitches" to see my current IB install of my RE componet sets on facotry head unit. they are giving 1000% better than stock.

wait untill SR20 sees this or PM if he doesnt. out of the more knowing in this board he is the Mid/High Guru.
as for the 240sx guy....ptshhh.... CDT pwnzzzz the BS he spews....

PS
sorry for the spelling
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #22
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Ok so how much are the RE components? I can't seem to find AMYTHING on the speakers your talking about.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #23
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Re: Re: Quality 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
Nope. The older DCX Infinity system is only 9watts RMS per channel and 18 watts peak. So, hooking up ANY decent componet set is a waste. The stock unit is so sloppy when playing music. It distorts so bad that it's a wonder that he got 10 years out of them.

There's no way in hell that he can get a nice set of componets and amp for $200. My "decent" set with amp would be about $500. Then again, it's a waste because you have to deal with the OEM stereo.

My suggestion would be just to replace the speakers with nice sets of Coax style speakers. You'll have to bypass the amps on the old OEM speakers which is real easy.

If you want Pioneer stuff(at least it is better than what you've got) go to Ebay and do an advanced search for selzitall. He's real honest and usually you can pick up a nice Pioneer set for 1/3 the cost. Most of his stuff is either new or new returns but he checks out all of it. I've bought TONS off of him.

BTW, CDT is a great product but I just don't recomend it for this application.
The CDT cl-61's are a great set of components for around $125 or so. They were the first component set I owned...and are great for the price. The Profile CL400 can be had for around $75 or less. It gives you 100 rms x 2 to the components. There you go...$200 and a good component set AND amplifier to power them.

It's even EASIER to run components if you have a stock amplifier, the wiring is already there. I used a multimeter set to tone to trace the wires from the stock speakers to which ones they were on the stock amp...then I hooked up the correct wire to the crossover and the aftermarket amplifier.

If you want REAL audio advice, come over to www.caraudio.com my name is the same on their...and there's PLENTY of people that can help and point you in the correct direction! Believe me...

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #24
CBFryman
Banned

call RE for direct pricing. if you where looking for them about a month ago (like me) yo ucould have been a part of RE/soundillusion group buy and gotten them for $130 mid-high 100's is where they may be at, but im not sure.
just call or E-mail REaudio
www.REaudio.com
Old 03-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #25
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
call RE for direct pricing. if you where looking for them about a month ago (like me) yo ucould have been a part of RE/soundillusion group buy and gotten them for $130
What was the point of saying that?
(2) 15" Q's 8 cubes after 80sqin. 28hz
CDT EF-61's
Profile AP1040 on comps
NSB-100
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #26
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Quality 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyb18b
What was the point of saying that?
There's really no point in him ever talking ...

NG
Old 03-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #27
CBFryman
Banned

I'm really getting tired of you.
I was just letting him know of the kind of deals that go on on the internet. he asked how much they where. prices can vary and everyonce and a while you can find a good deal.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #28
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
I'm really getting tired of you.
I was just letting him know of the kind of deals that go on on the internet. he asked how much they where. prices can vary and everyonce and a while you can find a good deal.
Cool.

NG
Old 03-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #29
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Yea I did ask and I'm liking the RE the best right now. So if I decided to get the profile amp would I only be able to run the 6.5s on it? If I'm going to buy and amp I'd like it to work for the 6.5s and 6x9s and have enough power for everything.

Also why the CL61s and not the CL62s?

And a noob question... Whats a crossover for?

Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #30
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

a crossover is there so it passes the right frequencies to the right speakers

dont listen to the 240 guy

i dont know any head units that make 200rms, most barely make 25rms

anyways i REALLY suggest u go find djdilliodon, he sells cdt speakers at really good prices

also i would suggest the cl62 because its one beefy driver for 05, it handles 180rms now which is great
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio