Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #46
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97
How's the XXX 15" compare to a W7? I'm starting to wish I waited for this new RE subwoofer. Sounds mean.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #47
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77
Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

well considering dub7's aren't made in 15's and the extra power handling it shouldn't have a problem taking them
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #48
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13

Well...

As in ALL THINGS AUDIO!
Follow the golden rule MIKE!!

It's all in the install...

NO ONE can tell you which will win...period! So don't be fooled. Also, the radiating cone are on the 13.5 and the shear displacement are AT LEAST equal to that of an 15XXX. So...install...install...install...

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #49
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

Jesus how many times to i have to say the w7 is a good woofer. and did i not say Brahma 15? oh thats right i did. did i not explain why? yes they have like 35mm one way linear xmax (that is what i heard, you cant find true TS parameters worth a damn on the net. not even on JLaudio.com) thats nearly as much +- xmax as DD has suspension travel on their 9500's. and did i not say if they made a 15 i would like it. everyone is taking what i say in blowing it up out of proportion.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #50
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Noah..... yes i know that DAMMIT but in in optimum installs i think the XXX would take it...... they both have 32mm and i think the xxx has a little bit more cone area.
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 02-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #51
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman

1.) the MSRP on a w7 is $999

if anyone is paying retail for these things, then that person has the problem. Local shops everywhere down where i live has it WAY below $1000.

2.) $500 is 50% of $999 still cost more than a Brahma 15 and a XXX 15[/quote]

13w7 is not made to compete with the 15" brahma or XXX. Some random dude out on the interweb decided to stir up JL's biggest w7 against adire's biggest brahma and therefore led to the development of the 13w7 vs the 15" brahma.

Quote:
3.) Both the brahma 15 and XXX 15 will get louder than the W7. why? surface area and xmax. yes the w7 has hella lotta xmax. but then agian so do the brahma and XXX. the extra few mm of xmax that the w7 have are not enough to compnesate for thegreater surface area of the brahma and XXX. and SQ is nearly equal (not just my ears saying this).
see above

Quote:
4.) The shiva is known to have great SQ and will hit SPL levels near that of a W3v2. how in gods name do you think that a w1v2 will touch the shiva SPL wise if the w3v2 is made to be better than the w1v2.
You never know what can happen with products. SPL is almost unpredictable. Who's to say the w1v2 can't trail the w3v2? How is the shiva better just because it gets louder? Neither subwoofers were designed for SPL. Come to think of it, the 15W6 is suppose to be higher end than the w3, but it has been shown that the 15w3 will get louder without busting itself open. Yet, the w3 doesn't have the sound quality of the w6. You can't compare one sub against another because of one other sub.

Quote:
5.) say what you want, i dont care. im tired of argueing with someone who talks like an angry JL dealer. you dont even give the XXX props for what it is. at least i compliment JL for making a good product, but also an expensive product. you obviously look at numbers and JL's claims and not what you hear. IMO JL needs to make a larger W7, i would barely call a 13" woofer a sub woofer. if the w7's price went down into the 400's and JL made a 15. i would be behind JL 100%. but untill i see this happen, i will stick with RE, ID, Adire, etc...
You're right, i talk like an angry JL dealer, but i wouldn't if i didn't think JL made great products. I don't give the re xxx props because there are already enough props given on this forum that everyone knows the xxx is a great subwoofer. I look at subwoofers numbers, but only to compare them spec for spec, not for what i choose as my subwoofer. I hear what I hear, and i heard from w7, idmax, xxx, brahma, seas lotus, illusion audio nd-12, etc. I prefer one over the other, but i don't go out and say one of those is overpriced simply because the other subwoofers are "close" in performance, yet cost much less.

13" is plenty for a subwoofer. I don't see a reason why you need anything bigger unless you are going for a full ear bleeding SPL car. JL won't make a 15" because the design won't allow them to get what they want. There is a reason why they made the 13.5" and it not just to be different...

I use to be a JL hater until I finally found myself trying out some subs. I have used so many JL products that many other subwoofers fail to fit my application.

I would use the RE xxx, but box size won't allow me to use it. the brahma i might be able to use, except why would i need to spend money if my sub right now is doing fine?

no hard feelings. I just wanted to defend JL audio for what they are since the interweb family does not respect them enough.

EDIT: one more thing, the dd spec is 2-way as oppose to everyone else's 1-way.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #52
CBFryman
Banned

no shit? really. is that why i said one way xmax v +- suspension travel?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #53
Diceman83
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diceman83

Hehehe... I used to be into high performance computers, and we hardly ever got into fights about which processor was better, mainly because there were ways to test them head to head. I think someone should come up with a standardized car shaped room, and then try several different subs/amps/etc in it and see how they do. I know this isn't real world, but it would be a baseline on which to compare things to, and to see how your install compares to the "benchmark" trial. Seriously, 90% of the flame wars and debates here would be GONE if there was a system like this in place. We'd be talking all about how much better our installs are compared to the "benchies" and not debating which $700 dollar woofer can beat a $1000 dollar woofer because of suspension travel, cone area, etc.

Ok, my ranting is done. Have a nice day!
Old 02-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #54
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

Quote:
no shit? really. is that why i said one way xmax v +- suspension travel?

ok i'm really going to be an asshole on this one and say the 13w7 one way surpasses the dd xmax 2-way, by at least a good 5mm of travel. yes..w7 "almost" has more travel than a dd +- xmax.

i'm done.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #55
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman83
Hehehe... I used to be into high performance computers, and we hardly ever got into fights about which processor was better, mainly because there were ways to test them head to head. I think someone should come up with a standardized car shaped room, and then try several different subs/amps/etc in it and see how they do. I know this isn't real world, but it would be a baseline on which to compare things to, and to see how your install compares to the "benchmark" trial. Seriously, 90% of the flame wars and debates here would be GONE if there was a system like this in place. We'd be talking all about how much better our installs are compared to the "benchies" and not debating which $700 dollar woofer can beat a $1000 dollar woofer because of suspension travel, cone area, etc.

Ok, my ranting is done. Have a nice day!
it's true that we need a standardized way to compare, but then it'd be waste of time since everything we test will be thrown out the window.

Thats why most people rely on T/S parameters where they are measured with very little power and in an open environment. That's probably as good as it gets as far as making things equal.

but apparently, price has some affects on a subwoofer's performance according to many people.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #56
CBFryman
Banned

how far suspension can travel and xmax (how far the motor can push it in controll) are not the same thing....
Old 02-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #57
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
how far suspension can travel and xmax (how far the motor can push it in controll) are not the same thing....
Gsteg, JUST might know that too! haha, but I'll watch and observe...

NG
Old 02-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #58
CBFryman
Banned

he may but he tries to make me look stupid by putting words in my mouth. i said Xmax v suspension travel which is xmax v. xmech
Old 02-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #59
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

actually thta would be xmax versus xsus.......juss tryin to be an arse..... xmech is when the sub cannot move any more because it bottoms out, spider crashes the top plate.......and those type of wonderful things. And it is possible to go further then the xsus seeing scottie johnsons MT's..... only problem is that DAMN surround rips and ya gotta recone (no I'm not serious about running subs till the surround rips)
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 02-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #60
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpinstang77
actually thta would be xmax versus xsus.......juss tryin to be an arse..... xmech is when the sub cannot move any more because it bottoms out, spider crashes the top plate.......and those type of wonderful things. And it is possible to go further then the xsus seeing scottie johnsons MT's..... only problem is that DAMN surround rips and ya gotta recone (no I'm not serious about running subs till the surround rips)
Yup, and you have to put a spacer between the basket rim and the surround b/c they move so much. It was ridiculous the amount of woofers we took out and repaired! Some of the surrounds were ripped like paper...crazy...

NG

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio