Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
mooreci
AF Newbie

Not enough something?

My deck takes time to come on completely. There is a muffled heart-beat type sound for anywhere from one to ten seconds after startup. The LCD dims dark to bright along to the beats. It plays and displays fine after the initial distortion. The distortion goes and goes while the ignition is off.

There are three occurences that coincide with the audio problem. The first is that i disconnected a disc-changer's rf cable, from the factory deck wires that the previous owner had sliced into.

Secondly, I disconnected the rear door electric locks. This had disabled all the door functions and some of the seat functions. Once reconnected, the doors and seats worked fine; maybe nothing.

Last, but not least, I changed all my factory speakers and added two more. The problem began after I did whatever with the deck, door locks, and speakers and didn't go away when I was finished.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Chris
mooreci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Not enough something?

added 2 more speakers?
could you give us a bit more detail?

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
you may be overloading the amps on your head unit
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
mooreci
AF Newbie

I have a 95 deville that has cut outs in the rear door for 5 1/4" speakers. I now have 5 1/4" 's in the front and rear doors, 3 1/2" tweeters in the front door, and 6x9's in the rear deck.

Chris
Old 03-22-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

How are they wired to the headunit? Do you just have the + and - on the rear channels running to both sets of rears? If so then you're showing your headunit a 2ohm load and that's most likely causing the problem. Your headunit's amp has 4 channels, each of them is only stable down to 4ohm. That means you can only attach a max of 4 4ohm speakers to it. It sounds like you have 6, or maybe even 8 (if you aren't using crossovers for those fronts) separate speakers connected to it, which is definately overloading it.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
mooreci
AF Newbie

I do have the + and - on the rear channels working both pair of rears. -Main problem identified- Thanks. As far as the two fronts, I used a harness on the 5 1/4" and cut the wires to replace the factory tweeters. They had a phuncky connector and I couldn't find a harness to fit. Is a crossover needed for the fronts now when it wasn't needed before?

I had planned on adding a new deck, an amp and two subs. Is this possible? That would be 10 speakers. I read a little about parallel and series wiring, but have yet to fully grasp the concepts. What's the best way to wire this setup?

Amplifier features:
60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
75 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
60 watts RMS x 2 + 150 watts RMS x 1 in 3-channel mode
4- or 3-channel output (no 2-channel operation)
Tri-Way capable
MOSFET power and output stages
rear-channel high-pass/low-pass crossover (50-300 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
front-channel high-pass crossover (50-300 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
speaker-level inputs
gold-plated connectors
variable bass boost (0-10 dB at 40 Hz)
15-3/4"W x 2-1/4"H x 11-1/2"D

Thanks again for the responses
Chris

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio