Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

acceleration problem

I've got a '92 accord EX and every once in a while when i try to accelerate the car will accelerate very slowly and shake like hell. it starts when i start the car and stops a few minutes after it warms up (like 3-5 minutes after the car is warm).

so when i start i'll only be able to use half throttle or less in low rpms, and at about 2800rpm it'll let me use about 3/4 throttle. i can use full throttle after about 3000rpm.

any ideas about what could cause this?

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
mazdatech177
AF Regular

Re: acceleration problem

might wanna look at the coolant temp sensor, or in the far fetched category... a sticking valve
mazdatech177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

what would the coolant temp sensor have to do with this?

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
mazdatech177
AF Regular

if the pcm is seeing the wrong coolant temp input it will deliver the wrong amount of fuel. ive seen it only on a handfull of cars but its one of those great "test questions"
mazdatech177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_bourito
what would the coolant temp sensor have to do with this?

It's a known problem with honda's made between '88 and '00, the ECU thinks the car is still cold when it isn't.

However, it could also be a more common ignition problem, especialy given the age of the car.
I would check all the usual suspects, leads, dizy cap, rotor, coil etc.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

i've had the cap and coil replaced within the last year or so (trying to fix another problem, turns out that these didn't fix it) so i doubt it's those.

so if the ecu's telling the engine to inject more fuel than it needs i know i'd have a lack of power but would it make the whole thing shake? and this isn't like a little shake, the whole car feels like it's going to fall apart when it happens.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
INF3RN0666
AF Regular

What's happening is that you have a misfire, so it's most likely a lean mixture because it's violent. Rich misfires are generally not as violent. If you have a scanner, then it would be pretty obvious to eliminate the coolant temp scanner. However, if you don't, you can try disconnecting it and seeing what happens. Other than that, you might have a clogged injector? Try disconnecting spark wires one at a time to see if it changes the problem.
INF3RN0666 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical