Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinnym86
two 4ohm subs on a mono amp?

sry if this question is retarded, but i don't want to make the stupid mistake of buying the wrong amp.

If i'm looking at a mono amp that can perform 250wrms from 1.5ohm - 4ohm (i'm looking at the JL500.1), can i wire two 4ohm subs in paralell safely? i know that makes a 2ohm mono imped. but its not a stereo amp.... does it matter? bcea1 warns against it using an example of a 2ch amp, not a mono. just confused, thnx for any help
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
vinnym86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
balls_to_the_wall
AF Enthusiast

Re: two 4ohm subs on a mono amp?

The amp dosen't know how many speakers it has hooked up, It just sees the load on it, as long as you don't exceed the impedence ratings on the amp, you will be fine.
balls_to_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b

not true, if an amps only rated for 2ohm stereo 4 ohm mono than you should not go below 4 ohms when bridging the amp.
(2) 15" Q's 8 cubes after 80sqin. 28hz
CDT EF-61's
Profile AP1040 on comps
NSB-100
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: two 4ohm subs on a mono amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyb18b
not true, if an amps only rated for 2ohm stereo 4 ohm mono than you should not go below 4 ohms when bridging the amp.
i understand the stereo vs. mono thing, bridging a 2ch amp which is 2ohm stable stereo, 4ohm stable mono, shouldn't see a 2ohm load when bridged, but when a manufacturer writes 2ohm stable for a mono amp, that must mean 2ohm mono stable. That's what i would believe, the reason i posted this was to make sure, cuz i don't wanna fry an amp outta ignorance.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

Ive had a profile amp hooked up at 2 ohm from 2 4ohm speakers for over 3 months and ive never over heated the amp, never blew it up never hurt it. It can be done like balls to the wall said it doesn know how many speakers are there just the load thats being presented. The 4 ohm bridged thing however as long as the amp doesnt go below 4 ohm or something of that nature ie. iv used a jlw3 on my ca600 bridged with no problems. Just that i know 2 ohm will completely toast the amp. But all in all yes it can be done with no problems.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

aright, thanks guys. i've put a bid at ebay for a JL. 500.1, cuz God knows i cant afford a new one.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio