Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
ashah000
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ashah000
Popping/thud noise

When I turn my headunit on/off my subs make a popping/thud noise. It is the factory headunit and it is hooked upto the acc wire. I was told that a relay might fix this problem. Can it? Is this hurting the subs?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KMoney28
I had a similar problem. Even when the subs were off I still had the popping sound. The only way I could listen to the components was to remove the fuse for the subs. Turned out my amp to the subs was fried! Hope this isn't the case with you....

P.S. try taking the fuse out and see if ur vocals play, I'm sure the continuous popping isn't good for the subs.
KMoney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
ashah000
AF Fanatic

Re: Popping/thud noise

It is not continuous popping it makes a thud noise when i turn the headunit on and then when i turn it off. Only those times otherwise the subs/amp play/sound perfect
Old 08-22-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

It's fine a lot of amps will "pop" or "thud" when they are turned on or off. Profiles thud when theyre turned off my Tsunami would thud when it turned on my brutus don't thud at all because it has quiet start. It's fine it's just the amp kicking on or off and sending a small signal to the sub no damage will happen.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
ashah000
AF Fanatic

Aight thanks, mine is a profile amp and now it is only making the noise when it is turned off.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

it's 1 of 2 things

1 - small turn on/off thump, a lot of cheaper amps have this, more expensive amps have protections built in to get rid of it. Nothing to worry about, but it can get annoying. Neither of my Avionixx amps did it when turning on or off, but if they were turned off and then immediately back on (like running them with the key in ACC, and then starting the car, they would turn off and then back on within a second) they had a pretty bad thump. My Linear Power and Cadence amps never thump though, but they both have delays built in to stop it.

2 - your amp has a DC offset and when it turns on or off the speaker cones move out/in to their new "zero" position. This can be very very bad for your speakers, depending on how severe the offset is

to check what it is, watch your speakers the next time it does it. Have a friend turn the headunit on or off while you watch the speakers. If it pops out or in and then returns to the normal spot then it's #1, if it pops out or in and stays there then it's #2.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio