Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:35 AM   #46
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
Re: Machining Discussion-Lathes, Mills, CNC.

Awesome, Rob, I just seen it from your katana's thread

we have also a workgroup, done by GTMike and friends, here on AF, concerning milling, turning etc. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...lay.php?f=1774

I'm very interested to learn more about how did you turn the rims inside: is a nightmare for me. And about your set, I'm tempted but I feel too much joy on my crappy lathe
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #47
mario lucchini
AF Newbie

Re: Finally I own a lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
Sherline makes a good lathe, super precise. I have one. A CNC lathe is a little ridiculous though. Turning on the lathe is a lot of fun, and is easy with practice, milling is a lot more difficult. A CNC mill would be a little more worth the CNC trouble. With a CNC mill, you also need to be able to design parts, and write the code for it, usually involving CAD and CAM software.

EDIT: Thread split from: Finally I own a lathe-by gionc. This thread will cover all aspects of machining for models, and any questions you have. We will discuss potential buys, reviews, how to's, and just basics of the lathe, mill and CNC.
Mike:
I came casually to this posts and I would like to share with you my machinig experiences. It certainly adds a lot to modelling!
I own a Boley F-1 lathe & a Unimat 3 lathe, & I've spent years making accesories for both...

Looking forward to post more pics & experiences...

Mario
Old 10-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #48
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Hi Mario, welcome.
Something italian in your name?

Well, Mike done those thread http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...lay.php?f=1774 to share our passion on machining stuff: I'm looking forward to see your experience and stuff

ciao
giovanni
Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 AM   #49
mario lucchini
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc
Hi Mario, welcome.
Something italian in your name?

Well, Mike done those thread http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...lay.php?f=1774 to share our passion on machining stuff: I'm looking forward to see your experience and stuff

ciao
giovanni
Grazie Giovanni:
Assolutamente italiano, sono un vecchio architetto vivendo al Cile...
Arrivederci pronto
Mario
Old 10-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #50
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Hi all. I am entering the world of lathing parts for my projects. Would it be possible for the lathe users to post some pics of the tool/cutting bits that everyone uses? I am curious on how to make certian shapes (no mill yet). I spoke with Robrex about a few shapes and he says he grinds a bit into the shape he needs and goes from there. Is this what everyone else does? Or am I missing a few of the basics. Thanks and looking forward to seeing some pics.

Mike.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 AM   #51
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

I have a set of three HSS Sherline bits- left, right and boring.

Recently I also found a set of brased carbide bits at Harbour Freight.

95% of all the turning I do now is with one of these or the boring tool from the Sherline set- and probably 70% is with a standard left hand bit. I also have a bench grinder and a handfull of HSS blanks to make my own cutting tools, but I almost never bother to. If I need a strangely shaped cut, I find I can often do it as easily with files instead.

What shapes are you trying to make?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #52
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario lucchini
Grazie Giovanni:
Assolutamente italiano, sono un vecchio architetto vivendo al Cile...
Arrivederci pronto
Mario
So we have also the school in common, not only the italian soul

I'm tuned to see more from your desk, Mario.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #53
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR
What shapes are you trying to make?
Thanks MPWR, I was curious about making a curved piece with a somewhat rounded corner. Something like this.

I think it would be fairly simple in 1:1 scale but in a smaller scale and me never using a lathe before I seem to have hit a roadblock.

Mike.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:38 AM   #54
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

OK, I've been given the OK from my wife to go out and buy a milling machine...
Question is, aside from the basic milling machine, what other specific tools do I need?
As most of you know, I have the lathe already so I'm really interested in all the little tips of the trade with regards to milling?
I only use it for modeling.
Thanks

Old 11-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #55
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrex
OK, I've been given the OK from my wife to go out and buy a milling machine...
Question is, aside from the basic milling machine, what other specific tools do I need?
As most of you know, I have the lathe already so I'm really interested in all the little tips of the trade with regards to milling?
I only use it for modeling.
Thanks
Rotary table (a great one, mine is shit) and some great tips: I got last (0.4mm) for 40 euros, not cheap.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #56
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

What mill are you looking at getting? If it has no accessories at all, a good first shopping list would include:

- a milling vise
- a set of parallels for use w/ vise
- end mills and end mill holders (I have a 2 and 4 flute 3/8" for rough cutting, plus a 1/4, 3/16, 1/8, 1/16, and a couple of 1/32s. 1/16 and smaller are very fragile and expensive!)
- an edge finder set
- a dial indicator (for squaring the vise)

This will get you started, and is most of what I use with my mill. For example I used all of these to make the valve cover for my 7- but I didn't need anything else. To this list I would also add a fly cutter, but with the stuff above and your lathe you can make your own. You can also make your own hold down blocks (I made a set and almost never use them, as nearly everything I make can be held in the vise) and your own slitting saw holder- when you feel a need.

Yes, you will definately want a rotary table- but you can start milling without one. When you start spending alot of time/effort figuring out clever ways of how to do stuff without it ("Sure, I can cross drill brake rotors with just XY coordinantes, right??!"), it's time to get one.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #57
drnitrus
AF Regular

Have any of you guys used one of these multipurpose machines?
any thoughts...pros/cons?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39743
Old 05-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #58
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

If you buy the right machine, a modular/multipurpose machine can save you money and space. The Sherline rig I use is essentially a lathe converted to function as a mill as well. It has definately saved me space and money- at the expense of some capacity (I'm limited int he size of things I can mill, but I've never had need to mill something too large for my setup), and the fact that it takes a minute or so to convert to or from mill/lathe- which means I can't leave something setup if I need to switch modes. However this rig has been more than enough for my uses, and essentially at the cost of some convenience I've probably saved $500 USD or so.

However, you must buy the right machine- and it almost goes without saying that if it comes from Harbour Fright, it is the wrong machine. Everything I have ever heard regarding their machine tools is to avoid them like the plague- they are worth no consideration at all. On the other hand, it can be a decent place to pick up a bench grinder or a stock cutting bandsaw- both of which you will likely need.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #59
Cold_Fire
Vendor

Hi guys, I though it would be better to bump this thread than starting a new one.

Some friend is selling his lathe, and I'm thinking about getting it. It's this one:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/minilor/index.html

It would be the german version, the Robbe Romat Vario 300. It has some accesories and bits, everything in perfect condition.

I would like to know if anyone knows this lathe or has had some experience with it. Is it an old lathe? I mean, would I have problems trying to get the mill or any other accesories / spare parts for it? Do you think it's a good option for 300 euro? (around 400 USD).

Is there any manufacturer selling this model of lathe nowadays? If anyone knows some webpage to get accesories please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #60
jbain
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR
However, you must buy the right machine- and it almost goes without saying that if it comes from Harbour Fright, it is the wrong machine. Everything I have ever heard regarding their machine tools is to avoid them like the plague- they are worth no consideration at all. On the other hand, it can be a decent place to pick up a bench grinder or a stock cutting bandsaw- both of which you will likely need.
Don't know where you got that MISS-INFORMATION from, seems that you have NEVER personally taken a good look at what is being sold there.

So you have bought a Sherline, an aluminium piece of over-priced, undersized, over-rated, super-hyped up junk and it's still a TOY.

If you had a decent look at a Mini-Mill from Harbour Frite, you would find that it is at least made from CAST IRON, has a far greater work envelope, tooling is available quite readily and the price is a fraction of what you paid for that TOY.
So, anybody who is interested in buying a mill or a lathe for modelling, don't be put off by persons saying that the Chinese stuff is CRAP, go and have a look for yourself and you can then decide if you want a Mini-mill or a toy sherline/taig, unimat or whatever.

The choice is yours.

The reason that I state this, is because I bought a Unimat 3 about twenty year ago, this is what Sherline tried to beat, by bringing out a machine that was CHEAPER to make than a Uni 3, how, by making it from aluminium, where-as the Uni 3 is at least cast iron. I struggled along with this combination machine for years and eventually had to buy a bigger stand alone lathe. Then, another mill was in order, had a good look around and came across these Chinese Mini-mills, value for dollar they could not be beaten and I've been happy with these larger machines for years now.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools