Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Prairie | Liberty | Axxess | Bassara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
jeremymwest
AF Newbie

Driver side brights not working?

I have a 1990 Nissan Axxess and the inspection came due, so I was just checking out my lights before I took it in. I noticed that my head lights would come on and work normally, but when I switched to brights, the driver side headlamp would go out. The passenger light would work fine though.

At first I thought it was just a burned out bulb, so I bought a new one and installed it, but I still had the same problem. Besides, it wouldn't make sense that the bulb was burnt because the brights just apply power to the second filament in the bulb while leaving the normal filament on at the same time. In my situation, the normal filament is being turned off when I go to brights.

I'm not sure what to look for now. I checked the wiring on the connector and it seems to be fine. Any ideas?
jeremymwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Mustang88lxvert
AF Newbie

Re: Driver side brights not working?

Hey Jeremy i also have a 1990 Nissan Axxess but havent had that problem and wish i could help but the only thing i can figure is maybe there is a bad connection in the plug maybe? might wanna check and see if there is a good connection with a volt meter. I am having trouble with my Axxess right now it Quit on me while driving it and have no idea whats wrong with it it just died. it will turn over but acts like its not firing i sprayed a little starting fluid in the throttle body, didnt hit , so i pulled the plug wire off the coil to see if it was sparking and it does. I cant find a service manual for the axxess i dont believe haynes or chiltons makes one, i have been told the same motor is in some 240sx,stanza, and pick-ups but not sure, If you have any suggestions or info that could help i would appreciate it. Thanks, John in KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymwest
I have a 1990 Nissan Axxess and the inspection came due, so I was just checking out my lights before I took it in. I noticed that my head lights would come on and work normally, but when I switched to brights, the driver side headlamp would go out. The passenger light would work fine though.

At first I thought it was just a burned out bulb, so I bought a new one and installed it, but I still had the same problem. Besides, it wouldn't make sense that the bulb was burnt because the brights just apply power to the second filament in the bulb while leaving the normal filament on at the same time. In my situation, the normal filament is being turned off when I go to brights.

I'm not sure what to look for now. I checked the wiring on the connector and it seems to be fine. Any ideas?
Mustang88lxvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

Sounds like 1 of two things.. Check your fuses. Sometimes there is a high beam fuse, If thats not it i m betting it's the switch . gl
FixUrNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
western
AF Newbie

I have read your story with interest and was wondering if the socket was checked for both power and condition. Is there a possibility that the contacts inside the socket are too corroded with age? Could that light in particular be grounding out through a short circuit somewhere in the wiring? What about the possibility of a bad contact on that bulb. I hope these ideas prove fruitful in your frustrating quest in figuring out the electrical problems in your Nissan. Good Luck!
western is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
jeremymwest
AF Newbie

As it turned out, my friend was able to fix it. He had to clean out the switch and replaced the bulb socket. After that it started to work again.
jeremymwest is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Prairie | Liberty | Axxess | Bassara