Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 12:32 PM   #1
b-b00gie
Banned

Send a message via AIM to b-b00gie
12 Volt DC outlet

Any help would be appreciated...

I've been trying to find some specs on the 12 Volt DC outlet in our cars, but have been unsuccessful.

I'd like to know if the output is exactly 12 Volts DC or a little off. Not sure if there's any voltage regulator which brings it down to exactly 12V. I'm also looking for the amperage ratings for the outlet.

I guess I could just take some voltage readings, but I cant find my voltmeter.
b-b00gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 03:53 PM   #2
nis.k.a.
AF Enthusiast

Just out of curiousity, why does it need to be exactly 12 volts? You would be hard pressed to get a rock solid 12 all the time, unless some modification was done. I run my PS2 off an AC inverter and it works just fine. Altough the voltage is not exactly 12 (mostly in the range of 12.4-14.5), it really doesn't matter that much, just as long as the inverter has a decent range of voltage and the amps to support the draw of the PS2 (or whatever accessory).
Old 11-28-2001, 10:55 PM   #3
b-b00gie
Banned

Reason is: I'm installing a Gamecube which runs on 12V DC (its power supply is external)

So I figured I could skip the power inverter and the Gamecube's power supply (which changes the 115V back to 12V) and just wire the GC to 12V directly...

Anyhow, what I was wondering was if those 12V outlets were regulated or not... maybe i'll make my own voltage regulator if need be.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:08 PM   #4
wickedG20
AF Enthusiast

Why not just go straight with the inverter?

I think the game cube will absorb more power if you wire it directly to the dc outlet. If I am not mistaken, the inverter generates its own power to to run the system and it doesn't need as much power from the 12 volt source itself.

I have a dreamcast with a 250 watt inverter, works like a charm. The hardest part is actually figuring out where to put the system hehe. At first I wanted to custom install it in the glove compartment but it was to big for it.

I found a perfect spot. Its in the back, sitting on that little hump. It is mounted there and the wires run under the passanger seat (including the controller wire) looks wicked

peace
Old 11-28-2001, 11:35 PM   #5
b-b00gie
Banned

If I could skip the inverter it'd be so much easier and cleaner. No messy wires.

I just dont see the point in converting 12V DC to 115 V back to 12VDC for the GC.

The gamecube unit runs on 12V, 3.25A and uses 35W

Old 11-28-2001, 11:49 PM   #6
wickedG20
AF Enthusiast

I agree with you there, but if the inverter is going to conserve some of the car's power it would be worth it to get one.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:54 PM   #7
nis.k.a.
AF Enthusiast

Since the GC can run off 12V, it must have a fuse for that right? If it doesn't, I'd go with the inverter. Mine has low-power warning and is fused. If they intended for the GC to be installed in a car, they know that the voltage will fluctuate. I'm positive that it will work by just connecting to any 12V wire just make sure you have it fused. The 12V sign is the universal for car use. They know that it's not going to be 12V solid.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:36 AM   #8
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
wow doesnt suck that many amps either, just put in a good 7.5 amp fuse and youll be fine. you have a monitor for the GC?
Old 11-29-2001, 12:46 AM   #9
wickedG20
AF Enthusiast

I think he is planning on putting 2 Monitors in his headrests. I was going to do that but then decided its not worth it since I don't travel with a lot of people so I just put 1 monitor in front.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:03 AM   #10
nis.k.a.
AF Enthusiast

Me too, one monitor right above the deck.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:09 AM   #11
b-b00gie
Banned

I have a 7" Alpine flip out and 2 6.5" Alpine monitors waiting for headrests...

Anyhow.. the GC wasnt "designed" to be used in a car, I just happened to notice that it runs on 12V since its power supply is external.

I might go w/ the whole inverter setup just to be safe, but I really dont want to. I have no room left... anywhere! Too much stuff installed in my car.

I also installed XM radio last week. NICE! www.xmradio.com
Old 11-29-2001, 11:04 AM   #12
jmgladden
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jmgladden
I was thinking about doing the whole XM Radio deal in my car. I work at Best Buy, so I get the equipment fairly cheap. Is the quality as good as people are saying? Personally I don't believe any of those jokers at work, most of them don't have the slightest clue what they are talking about.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:18 AM   #13
b-b00gie
Banned

the sound quality is definately way better than FM. Close to CD quality... no background fuzz at all. Sound quality is like a CD made from MP3's

There's 100 stations for now which you'll probably listen to maybe 10 to 15 on a regular basis. There is usually one 30 second commercial every 30 minutes.

My only complaint about it so far is that it doesnt work in my parking garage at work but thats only because of several tall buildings surrounding it
Old 11-29-2001, 11:22 AM   #14
jmgladden
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jmgladden
I was told that it works nation wide (middle of nowhere), not just in select areas. Do you know if this is true?
Old 11-29-2001, 11:28 AM   #15
b-b00gie
Banned

Yep... it works everywhere....

There's 2 huge satelittes above the US and XM has been installing repeaters (dishes) on buildings for 2 years now or so to help keep the signal strong and insure quality when they launched this summer...

I got this from XMradio.com

Why Reception Stays Strong
Originating at the XM broadcast center, XM's broadcast signal is beamed from two huge earth-station antennas to our broadcast satellites, known affectionately as "Rock" and "Roll". But despite their names, these satellites don't move; positioned more than 22,000 miles above the earth in geostationary orbit, their beams combine to span the entire contiguous U.S. while remaining stationary with respect to the land below. This enables XM's signal to reach from coast to coast. Ground antennas, or repeaters, keep the signal strong in challenging locales such as urban canyons.

Bi-coastal satellites?
Yes. Rock and Roll are positioned over east and west coasts and both keep the entire contiguous U.S. continuously within broadcast range.

Can you hear the focus?
Definitely. The XM satellites' fixed orbits ensure a focused and consistent signal, eliminating broadcast irregularities associated with moving satellites.

Power-hungry?
Rock and Roll are the most powerful commercial satellites ever, beaming 10 megawatts of equivalent transmitted power back to earth. They were built by Boeing Satellite Systems, the world's leading commercial manufacturer of satellites.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General