Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Daki
AF Newbie

humm 69 Mach1 to current Mustang conversion?

Been sitting on this for a while and thought I would share. Take a new Mustang and make it look old school 1969 Mach 1 style. The body would not need much work except the rear scoop on the upper deck behind the doors. Not sure if I would clean up the sides to make it more simple like the 69 but the front needs no work. Revell makes a 70 Ford Torino Cobra that has a nice 427 engine to replace the factory stock in the 06 kit. Olny thing missing is removing the side windows and making a rear louvered part for the back glass.
What do you all think??
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Re: humm 69 Mach1 to current Mustang conversion?

I think it's highly unnecessary because Revell has produced an excellent 1969 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet kit that (while I believe it's out of production now) is still easy to find and easy to assemble.

And, by the way, the 427 side-oiler never made it into production Mustangs, nor is it in the 1970 Torino Cobra. The big Mustang engines have either been the Cobra Jet 428 or the Boss 429.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex

are we talking converting the new mustang into an old mustang or simply a retro theme added to the new body style?

I'd rather be hated for Who I Am than be loved for Who I Am Not
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Ford is doing just that for the next version of the Mustang. The front end will be more aggressively pointed like the '69, and the rear fender will be given a "hip" aft of the doors. The taillight panel is to be unique, and the rear fender corners are apparently beveled off in a similar fashion as the Porsche 928. A lot of the flavor of the Giugiaro show car from last winter is apparent in the production version.

Don't ask where I found this out, or I will have to kill you

Cervini's has a body package pretty much as you describe for the '05 body style.

http://www.autoblog.it/galleria/ford-mustang-u69/1

Scroll down the following link for more of Cervini's stuff. Get past the Eleanor stuff and down to the models that are a lot better looking, such as the M1, B2, B9.
http://www.autoblog.it/galleria/ford-mustang-u69/1

The Revell '69 Mach I is great, once you get past the horribly mis-shapen front end where outboard headlights are on a lower level than the grille-mounted foglamps, which really spoils the appearance tremendously
Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

ZZ, considering the amount of putty work it'd take to revise an '06 back to a '69, I think a little bit of resculpting isn't a big challenge. Not to mention, at least the majority of the contours are right and the dimensions are more or less spot on, as compared to the old AMT-annual '69 Mach 1.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
ZZ, considering the amount of putty work it'd take to revise an '06 back to a '69, I think a little bit of resculpting isn't a big challenge. Not to mention, at least the majority of the contours are right and the dimensions are more or less spot on, as compared to the old AMT-annual '69 Mach 1.
Converting an '06 to a '69 isn't going to be much harder than making a Revell '69 Mach I look correct in the first place

I would assume he wants it to have the flavor of a '69 with the proportions of the new car, much like the current Mustang has the flavor of a '68. It's a decent plan, especially since Ford is going in that direction w/the Mustang...

Long story short, get a Revell Mach I, compare the front end to photos, and start crying. It's way harder than you think, it's monumentally worse than just a little recontouring. It's a terrible depiction of a '69, and it's the face of the car that they botched. It's defied many an experienced modeler so far. If it were that easy I'd have personally done it long ago. The problem is if you fix one area it creates a domino effect. Sad that the kit the Mach I is derived from, the '69 Shelby, is such a sweetheart. It's fantastic, and it was such a letdown to see how badly Revell goofed on the Mach I.

AMT actually did a beautiful '69 Mach I annual kit. Rarer than hen's teeth, it didn't get much distribution-and I've never, ever seen one (nor the '70 Mach I which they also did). Both '69 and '70 Mach I's have been repopped by Missing Link Resin Casters. They're the only accurate looking '69 & '70 in 1/25 scale that have ever been done. The AMT '69 that was most recently reissued is really the MPC '69, which is a dog of a kit. Starting with it's 1/26 scale dimensions, and going downhill from that
Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Daki
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replys and yes those photos of the yellow stang is exactly what Im talking about. Not so much on the side window areas because they would need to look more like an original Mach 1, but the overall picture is what I want to do.
As far as an engine-would a stock o6 engine be OK or go for the 427 ??
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
rsxse240
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rsxse240

In my opinion, I'd get some sort of forced induction placed in the engine bay (it looks more powerful) with either a stock motor, or possibly take the intake and what not from the Ford GT from polar lights (if it has one, I don't know) because it is supposed to be pretty sweet.

but if we are talking a complete custom job for a concept (which most...well...all are) I'd go here Rad Rides by Troy (Tripanier) and look at some of his motor set ups, and see how motors should look, as well as how custom work SHOULD be done. Look in particular, at the "Fastforward Fastback" (it's a Mustang.) That man is a freaking genius when it comes to making horsepower look as good as it feels.

While you are there, just for fun, take a look at the projects page, might pick up a thing or two, I know I did.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling