Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
dezso3
AF Newbie

Angry Loose Steering

I feel like my 2006 Volkswagen Golf has loose steering. Whenever I make a right turn, it feels like I have to turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees to make a 90 degree turn, and when I straighten out the wheel, the car doesn't go straight. I told the mechanic that I think it is loose, but he dismissed my claim and said that it's okay. I think he's in denial, but I could be wrong. This car is freaking driving me crazy since it gets really bad acceleration, plus the RPM at 70 MPH is 3500, which is way more than most cars, which are usually in hte 2000 RPM range at 70 MPH (For example, the car that I used to drive, which is a 2004 Saab 9-3, has an RPM of 2400 at 70 MPH).
dezso3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Loose Steering

Let me guess, 2.5L motor and 5 spd tranny. They gear that thing extra low. You can shift to high gear at 35 mph, so then on a 70 mph speed limit highway you are screaming the rpm's and getting terrible gas mileage. Bad VW design there. All I tell everyone is never get anything with that engine. I didn't know any better at the time and got a '05 VW with the 2.5 instead of the 1.8 turbo because I thought a turbo would get worse mileage. My '02 Ford Escape V6 four wheel drive got two mpg better than that VW. I don't know what they were thinking. I don't know what to tell you about the steering. See if a different mechanic has an opinion.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf