Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - New/New Beetle Convertible
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
VividVisions
AF Newbie

how do i remove crank pulley to replace timing belt 2.0

Why am I breaking tools?? What am I doing wrong, am I suppose to get the bolts red hot n remove em?? I haven't had good luck with allen heads not rounding out, am I suppose to remove the big bolt?? Any help would be appreciated
VividVisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
FishFind
One Hot Shot

Re: how do i remove crank pulley to replace timing belt 2.0

I know nothing about this car but most of the time you need a puller to remove. Call a auto parts store and see if they have one you can rent.

Yes the big bolt in the middle needs to come off. It is best to use a impact gun to remove it. There is a tool that will hold the pully in place when you take the nut off. FYI take off the ignition coil before you start the car on accident.

Also a Haynes repair manual may be worth the $30 in your case. It will give you many details including torque and all the things that you will need to know.
FishFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
VividVisions
AF Newbie

Well.... it seems like I don't have to remove the big bolt, common sense tells me that the 4 allen head bolts connect tell serpentine belt pulley to the timing belt gear, which the gear is held on by the big bolt. And I wanna stay away from putting any heat to it because there has to be a seal right there n heat n seals don't mix.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
culliphj
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VividVisions View Post
Well.... it seems like I don't have to remove the big bolt, common sense tells me that the 4 allen head bolts connect tell serpentine belt pulley to the timing belt gear, which the gear is held on by the big bolt. And I wanna stay away from putting any heat to it because there has to be a seal right there n heat n seals don't mix.
i guess you have already got bolts out
if not,,grind the heads off
you can use a pair of pleirs to remove the remaing studs
culliphj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
VividVisions
AF Newbie

I ended up using 2 10mm studs (lower engine studs from type 1 beetle) and a flat piece of stock with a M4 bolt to hold the crank pulley, and I ended up hammering a T40 hex bit in the SHCS (Socket Head Cap Screw) n got 2 of them out, got one out with a T45 n then last one T50. Also made the tensioner tool out of the same pics of flat stock, if I ever get time I will post pictures n measurements of the tool.