Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
dahoss2x
AF Newbie

'79 diesel rabbit won't start

Alot of memories in this old ride. Has been in storage for ten years. Will not start... cranks but wont fire. Glow plugs? Any Ideas?
dahoss2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
zagrot
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to zagrot
Re: '79 diesel rabbit won't start

it could be a whole host of stuff, but if it ran when you parked it then it should be relatively simple to revive. check to be sure it has fuel, and some fresh fuel probably would not hurt. check all of the belts (especially the timing belt, if it looks like crap plan to replase it immediately afetr you hear that the engine will start) and hoses to make sure they are in good condition and that you have coolant. check that the oil level is good and that it isn't sludge; if it is change it, and if not plan a fresh oil change shortly after it shows that it will run. now the fun can begin; remove the banjo bolt on top of the pump and see if it is full of fuel, if it is not then fill it with new automatic transmission fluid (because it is clean, if you insist on using diesel fuel make sure it is well filtered) and relpace the banjo bolt. while you are in the fuel pump area have a helper turn the ignition on and off and make sure you hear the fuel shutoff solonoid on the pump make a faint clicking sound (it is the only part of the pump with an electric wire going to it). now get someone with a suitable towing vehicle and a tow strap to tow you to aproximately 25mph and once at that speed engauge 1st gear and let out on the clutch. if the engine has any hope of starting at all it will do so within about a minute even if it is really grumpy, but they ususally start imediately. hope it helps.
zagrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
moparvwfreak
AF Newbie

also check to make sure the electrical connection on the injection pump is hooked up. thats why my 79 wolfy wouldn't start. dont know why but thats the reason.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
dahoss2x
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparvwfreak
also check to make sure the electrical connection on the injection pump is hooked up. thats why my 79 wolfy wouldn't start. dont know why but thats the reason.

Thanks for the suggestions. The bunny will get some attention this weekend as I will visit my parents place in Phoenix(it sits in thier back yard and they want me to get rid of it). If I cannot get it running this weekend I may just sell it. Are the wolfsburg diesels worth anything? Only 127,000 original miles on this old hare.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
dahoss2x
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagrot
it could be a whole host of stuff, but if it ran when you parked it then it should be relatively simple to revive. check to be sure it has fuel, and some fresh fuel probably would not hurt. check all of the belts (especially the timing belt, if it looks like crap plan to replase it immediately afetr you hear that the engine will start) and hoses to make sure they are in good condition and that you have coolant. check that the oil level is good and that it isn't sludge; if it is change it, and if not plan a fresh oil change shortly after it shows that it will run. now the fun can begin; remove the banjo bolt on top of the pump and see if it is full of fuel, if it is not then fill it with new automatic transmission fluid (because it is clean, if you insist on using diesel fuel make sure it is well filtered) and relpace the banjo bolt. while you are in the fuel pump area have a helper turn the ignition on and off and make sure you hear the fuel shutoff solonoid on the pump make a faint clicking sound (it is the only part of the pump with an electric wire going to it). now get someone with a suitable towing vehicle and a tow strap to tow you to aproximately 25mph and once at that speed engauge 1st gear and let out on the clutch. if the engine has any hope of starting at all it will do so within about a minute even if it is really grumpy, but they ususally start imediately. hope it helps.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will attempt to revive the bunny this weekend as I will visit my folks place in Phoenix. My father wants it out of his back yard soon!
Old 12-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
moparvwfreak
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoss2x
Thanks for the suggestions. The bunny will get some attention this weekend as I will visit my parents place in Phoenix(it sits in thier back yard and they want me to get rid of it). If I cannot get it running this weekend I may just sell it. Are the wolfsburg diesels worth anything? Only 127,000 original miles on this old hare.
if i was closer i would be all over it. as for if they are worth something.... its diesel so yeah. check craigslist for rough pricing. also check vwvortex.com the classifieds there will help with pricing to. most are very anal about their rabbits though. look under golf\jetta 1 classifieds.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
bradengow
AF Newbie

So, what I learned works for priming the fuel system all the way to the cylinders as described in a haynes repair manual, is to lossen the fuel line nuts attached to the top of each of the four fuel injectors (17mm crescent wrench). Then crank engine without letting the glowplugs warm up, this will pump fuel all the way to the injectors. When you can see fuel on the injectors, tighten the nuts back up, warm up the glow plugs and you should be good to go. Of course it's important also that the timing is correct, which is really rather simple, but time consuming.
bradengow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
VDUB RABBIT
AF Newbie

i also need help my fuel pump is not getting any power i changed the relay but it still will not get any power
VDUB RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit