Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
91MercSable3.8L
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 91MercSable3.8L Send a message via MSN to 91MercSable3.8L Send a message via Yahoo to 91MercSable3.8L
Life expectancy for a 91 3.8L V6? need to find out what kind of life she's got left

I'd like to find out what kind of life I can expect out of my 91 Sable GS witht he 3.8L V6. It has been fairly well maintained, only problems I've seen so far, Power steering pump leaks and is on its last leg, the Transmission is a Pain in the ... and it runs a quart low after 2 months of mostly normal driving, (I tend to get a little bit of spirited at times since I havent had a chance to drive my RX7 in a few months)

Looking at carfax history I may have just rounded the 210K mile mark but not sure if that is possible with original engine or not.

Any info, advice, or comments welcome.

thanks.

Johannes
91MercSable3.8L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
Beau8
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Beau8
ive got a 1992 sable 3.8L and shes runnin pretty great its my first car and even as a speed hungry teenager i love it its fast and reliable even tho it has a tranny prob and fan prob and some grinding in the wheel when i turn it still runs beautifully.

sry for the life story
Beau
Beau8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:19 AM   #3
JimLev
AF Newbie

Re: Life expectancy for a 91 3.8L V6? need to find out what kind of life she's got left

The 3.8 was famous for head gaskets blowing, that repair only cost me $1200 after the car had 110K miles on it, and then the $2400 tranny rebuild at 120K miles, I later sold the car for $2K, should have junked it at 109K
JimLev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
Wren84F
AF Newbie

Our 91 Sable had the same problems. Head gasket went, and very soon after, the tranny went. I did some research on the net and found that the 91' AXODE tranny was the most unreliable in it's class. They make rebuild kits that fix some of the major problems with the tranny, something about an aluminum piston being replaced with steel ect... Anyway, I did my own work and the repairs have cost me about $500 in parts.
Wren84F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
mikeemon
AF Regular

Re: Life expectancy for a 91 3.8L V6? need to find out what kind of life she's got left

The grinding while turning thing sounds like a wheel bearing. That is no fun to fix, but is less fun to have sieze up on you while driving.
mikeemon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable