Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 01:30 AM   #1
pimpclipse
AF Newbie

Best shifting time?

Does anyone have the perfect rpm set to shift the most efficiently in a race? I got smoked the other day. I was trying to race an integra (not sure of the model) and i knew i was gonna lose but it was for fun and uh... i kinda got killed. That thing took off and is second gear scratch was like my zx2 peeling out in first gear. I was so shocked and hypnotized byits tires smokin that i forgot to shift ad i redlined my car in first gear....... How the hell do u redline in first gear...I remembered to shift when i felt alot of resistence and my car popped back...Im still havin nightmares... but i love my zx2, thats why im gettin a gude turbo for it and a combat kit for it...
That was my little story..
pimpclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:57 AM   #2
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

Re: Best shifting time?

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpclipse
How the hell do u redline in first gear....
Its easy to redline in first gear... I don't know if you're kidding around or maybe you felt a little intimidated by the Integra, but don't be, just concentrate on yur shifting and practice a little and you'll smoke that damn Integra, someday.
kaoru-tochiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
red cat
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to red cat

never tried for myself but I have read a lot of posts that say the GUDE turbo is not very good. I recommend looking for a better one. then again all I have are opinions from other, I havn't gotten a turbo yet so I can't say much
red cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I have read a lot of boasting here, but I can tell you, that even though I'm no Honda fan, the Integra can be a bad MF'r. With a few mods, they will give a V8 musclecar a good run, with a good driver. I have a friend who has a '99 Civic SI Vtech, after cold air system, cat-back exhaust, Vtech controller and upgrade wheels/tires/ride height, he was able to keep up with my '94 Impala SS up to about 85 mph, at which point he would start to fall back slowly. That's no mean feat! The SS is 260 hp stock, mine with Flowmaster system and ECM upgrade is probably closer to 275. He admits that the Integra has a better flowing head design than his Civic, so I would think that one with similar upgrades to his could embarass me! That would suck.

Anyway, the ZX2 is zippy, but I can't see it running with the SS, no matter how much work I put in it. I might be wrong, but that's what I feel when I drive the ZX2. I'd be curious to know about some that were modded, and what kinda numbers they put out?

Also, the ZX2 is so light, and jerks those front tires loose so readily, what can be done to plant more of that torque to the ground? I'm thinking increased damping in the rear suspension and less travel (lowering) all around would help, and obviously better tires and wheels. But if they are made to hook up well, it has been implied in some threads that the diff might not be too strong on these? What has to happen there, to improve durability?
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
zx2srdotnet
Banned

Send a message via AIM to zx2srdotnet

the SS also weighs about 1500lbs or more, and they are automatics arnt they? that makes it like a low 15sec car(15.1 being the best time i could find stock) and you should be in the 14.7-8 range. you should have taken the Si, hes 15.5 stock. Rims, intake and vct contorller doesnt drop .7sec

its 0-60 is only .1 faster then a ZX2. and you should only be about .7 ahead of it stock for stock with equal drivers. 4-2-1 header, 2.5in exaust, intake, pully and superchip should make things even if the zx2 is a 5spd.

the diff is good for about 130-150whp depending how you drive.
zx2srdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
zx2srdotnet
Banned

oh and to answer the post, about 100rpm after redline in 1st and about 50rpm b4 red in every other gear
Old 11-12-2004, 02:35 AM   #7
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

i disagree... ive found that this works better and have gotten some good times w/ the strategy:

1st: almost to the rev limiter, about 6900 rpms
2nd: at redline, 6500
3rd: 6000-6100 rpms
4th: 5800 rpms

i launch at 4000 rpms and slowly slide the clutch out. i know its not good for the diff but in a drag race (3-4 times a year) its not gonna hurt much.

again, this is my best strategy ive found... you shift right into another building powerband w/ each one of those rpms.
ZX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:22 AM   #8
zx2srdotnet
Banned

4000 is WAY to high launch should be 2000-2500
Old 11-13-2004, 07:37 AM   #9
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Re: Best shifting time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX2000
i launch at 4000 rpms and slowly slide the clutch out. i know its not good for the diff but in a drag race (3-4 times a year) its not gonna hurt much.

Shouldn't be hard on the diff at all. Hell on the clutch, though.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #10
zx2srdotnet
Banned

out diff is crap, its easy to break it f you keep trying to do one wheel peels
Old 11-15-2004, 10:29 PM   #11
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

my z bogs at anything below 3500 rpm launch... ive tried and tried and tried to not let it but for some reason it does... so i launch high. ive pretty much perfected it (kinda).

and yes our diff is fucked up. outta curiosity, do they still make the Phantom Grip? or did they stop producing it?

matt
Old 11-15-2004, 10:37 PM   #12
sivic02
AF Enthusiast

pimpclipse, there is an ideal rpm to launch from for each car but it does also depend on the driver. Also to get better practice a lot. I spent 40 bucks on a g-tech performance meter, it can measure your 1/4 mile time, speed, 0-60, 1/8, all that good stuff. I spent about an hour each day for about 3 days trying different rpms to launch, different clutch releases, etc and then i found what worked the best every time. If you want to get good at drag racing thats what worked for me.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:38 AM   #13
zx2srdotnet
Banned

i THNK they still make teh phantom grip but i'd reather get eh cusom axles fro a REAL diff like the one Qualife(sp) makes for the MSP
Old 11-18-2004, 01:31 AM   #14
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Best shifting time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx2srdotnet
i THNK they still make teh phantom grip but i'd reather get eh cusom axles fro a REAL diff like the one Qualife(sp) makes for the MSP
think that will ever get made for a discontinued car that neither Ford nor any of the companies that make aftermarket parts give a shit about?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:55 AM   #15
zx2srdotnet
Banned

actually after they stoped making the car a lot more companies started to make stuff for the zx2, and ford USED to make a lsd for te ZX2. and if you get custom axles you can use the MSP lsd.