Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #16
zx2srdotnet
Banned

Send a message via AIM to zx2srdotnet
Re: Re: New ZX2 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMoMike
They had only found a wire underneath the cup holder and spliced in a switch inline to disable it is all.

Michael

i know that but it screws up teh auto's shifting and sometimes makes the car stop acceling at 80mph, it also screws up the milage odometer some how on many auto's
zx2srdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:26 AM   #17
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: New ZX2 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMoMike
Have any of you bought the Accel HP coil? I'm thinking about it?

Has anyone found and bought a capacitive discharge ignition and where it can be found? I had one on a car I used to own and it helped quite a bit. The engine ran smoother, stronger spark, and improved gas mileage a little.

Michael
i have theories that a ZX2 will neva idle good because of the crappy balancing job put on our crank by ford. i plan on getting my whole bottom end balanced in the near future by a professional. and for $300 i could get alot of shit better than that.

the s/r pcm is the upgraded pcm from the s/r. it has an eliminated speed governor, advanced timing and it learns your mods very well. for anyone w/ a manual i recomend this. for anyone w/ an ATX i recomend a chip from superchips. you can find them all over the place. the only downside to a chip is every time you get a mod... you gotta get your chip reprogramed for that mod. the pcm just learns that you have it and after a certain amount of run time it operates to better that mod... its smart as hell and i love mine. but eventually ill probably have to chip mine once i get to a certain whp... i think its like 145 whp or something.

matt
ZX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:56 AM   #18
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Re: Re: New ZX2 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX2000
i have theories that a ZX2 will neva idle good because of the crappy balancing job put on our crank by ford. i plan on getting my whole bottom end balanced in the near future by a professional. and for $300 i could get alot of shit better than that.

matt
This car is new to me, and not one that I have any real familiarity with yet, but the idle seemed to me to be charactaristic of 4 cylinder engines that are set to idle very lean. The earlier Honda and Toyota four's would idle like that, and get more annoying as time went on, to the point that some drivers would take 'em outta gear (auto) when sitting at a light with the A/C on, because the idle harmonics were just too brutal.

But drilling out the cap on the throttle body and fattening them up just a little would make them idle smooth as glass (for a 4 cylinder, anyway)

I don't drive this car much, so it hasn't irritated me enough to take a look and see if there is any provision to adjust it on this one ('98)

But if that is the case, I would think that any mods that increase breathing might even aggravate this condition at idle.

Does this engine have a counterbalancer? I'm guessing not.

BTW, the wife said the SES light was on, so I did a visual check, and didn't see any reason for it. I thought the idle seemed a little harsh, but thought it might be me, 'cause I hadn't driven it for a while. But she said it seemed a bit more vibey at idle than normal since the light came on.

I took it out, and drove it like I stole it for about 20 minutes, and the light went out, and the idle returned to what I consider normal for this car.

Anybody else experience this?

I have a '97 Chevy Lumina that pops the SES every couple of months, with no other symptoms. The first time it happened, the light was on for almost 6 months, when I happened to be driving about 90 mph for several miles, and the light went out.

Now, every time it comes on (every 60 days or so), I just take it out on a Sunday morning, hit 90+ for a few miles, and it goes away, just like the first time. I guess I should pull the code and see what it thinks, but I'm lazy.

Besides, this gives me a semi-legitimate reason to go burn up some highway (honest, officer!) on a Sunday morning.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:58 AM   #19
zx2srdotnet
Banned

Re: New ZX2 owner

i have never heared of the zx2 not being balanced cuz the block is the same as the focus, contour and cougar, just a different head. if you want to help the idle get FR wires they help a lot.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:04 AM   #20
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

never said it wasn't balanced... the just didn't do a good job of balancing it. pistons and rods being to dissimilar in weight could cause a bad idle as well as none to tight tolerances being held to the bearings on the crank. i know the crank is balanced to a certain degree (ford specs) but not to the degree you need it for a race engine. ask johnp how his car runs w/ a blueprinted bottom end.

as for FR wires... got 'em. my bad idle comes from a shitload of breather mods and ES motor mount inserts... that combined w/ the a/c kicking on all the damn time and you can imagine i get quite the jolt every day while sitting at stop lights. but... upside is my car pulls like a mudafukka. but then again ive done alot of custom work to it. i am the one putting on the FS: stock bored throttle bodies on teamzx2. just bored my manifold too... good mod... good mod.

matt
Old 12-16-2004, 08:42 AM   #21
zx2srdotnet
Banned

dude you cant compair anything to JohnP's car lol the way his set up its like 2 different cars lol. Ive ben meaning to ask him to to a PnP head and intake for me lol
Old 12-18-2004, 08:46 AM   #22
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

shit ill do the intake for you for cheaper. haven't experienced much w/ headwork though. he does have a kick ass setup, but thats the kind of shit im talkin about. in order to push the kind of #'s he does you gotta pay attention to all the little details. you can't expect your stock engine and internals to tolerate a 8500 rpm rev as much as a blueprinted bottom end and ported head w/ new valve springs and titanium retainers.... aint gonna happen. its the little shit that makes it go fast... attention to detail and close tolerances as well as how deep it can breathe w/o takin a piston w/ it.

matt
Old 12-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #23
zx2srdotnet
Banned

Well you have to think. The guy did help design the car. lol
but im going to get a FR mani and get it ported when I can afford one.
I've still never seen a 1/4 or dyno number from him though.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:10 AM   #24
ZX2000
AF Enthusiast

id love to see that too. don't think it'll happen though cuz he's got better things to do... like make money. LOL

matt

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2