Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Constantino
AF Newbie

Detail-up kits for Tamiya SLR or Tamiya F40?

Hey guys, new here, looks like a nice active modeling forum which is great.

Ive built sporadicly in the past, this xmas I decided to do it right, got a dedicated table, build a spray booth, got a new airbrush, and my model, the tamiya LFA.

Its finished now

Im no custom builder like I see in alot of the threads here, I can paint, follow instructions, and add a few personal touches (IE fingerprints). I am not fabricating wires and stuff though, wouldnt know where to start.

But all the same, the question I have now is, on these 2 models, are there any good (but not too much $$$$) detail up kits that will be worthwhile? I see some from A+, Hobbydesign, crazy modeler, but I cant really see what they include and dont include, just a bunch of tiny PE peices.

Any input would be welcome!
Constantino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Re: Detail-up kits for Tamiya SLR or Tamiya F40?

Welcome to AF! Great choice in your first model; I've built one in pearl white and I've gotten to see the real car in Atlanta at several shows (the one in Atlanta is silver, and it is the first production LFA in the hands of a customer).

Can't directly answer your question about the detail-up sets in particular, but in general the aftermarket parts are decent. Between Strada Sports, Mediamix hobbies, and other online retailers, you should be able to see photos of what is offered.

Since you are in Atlanta, do you know about ACME, our local model car club, or perhaps have been to our show in November? We have a meeting this coming Sunday from 2:30 to 5:00 at the Smyrna Community Center. There are several of us in the club that build a lot of models like the LFA, SLR, F40, etc.

ACME Meeting Information

ACME Facebook Page
Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
petesy
AF Regular

For the F40, it would be nice to get the detail set from Hobby Design to replace the rear grille, the drilled brakes, the front mesh and the various scripts. I saw it listed in Hobby Easy for around $20 + shipping.

For the SLR I probably wouldn't bother. Tamiya has already included metal emblems, and the rest of the little bits aren't really that noticeable once the kit is finished.

One thing you can do is to search this forum for other people's build of the F40 and SLR. I think some members have used detail parts set on their builds, you can see if their use is justified for their price.
petesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
andybmw7272
AF Enthusiast

Hey Constantino,

Welcome!!!! That LFA looks great!

I have the SLR kit and got a detail up kit from Top Studio, Hobby Design, and KA Models. All are great and will bring your project to life even more. Top Studio has less pieces, HD has a ton of pieces and their prices move respectively. Go to stradasports.com and search SLR and you will get an idea of what each kit contains.

Like Bob said, since you are in Atlanta, come to an ACME meeting!
Maybe we can see you tomorrow.

Can't wait to see this SLR come to life!
Andy
andybmw7272 is offline   Reply With Quote