Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
smata67
AF Regular

Sound Deadening the Windstar

I admit I have only put a couple of thousand miles a year on my Windstar, in fact, I got it 12 years ago and have only put 40K. It now has 130K and I have really not had alot of problems with it. But I am going to be retiring soon and the vehicle will most likely be implicated in long road trips so I'm considering going all out and making it as comfortable as possible. I've done the usual searches, but have not found some Windstar specific videos for applying the sound deadening materials. I'd appreciate any tips and pics from those who have done this to the Windstar variants. I will most likely go for the Dynamat clones such as Noico and such that are selling via Amazon.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: Sound Deadening the Windstar

I have not added any sound deadening other than thick rubber floor mats. I find the Winnie runs pretty quiet ... if there are no loose "clunks" in play. Worn suspension points of any kind can contribute. Anti-sway bar bushings and links; tie-rod ends, inner and outer; motor and tranny mounts... any looseness caused by cracked welds, such as on sub-frame supports for anti-sway; etc, etc.

Happy miles!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: Sound Deadening the Windstar

I put dynamat at various places in my 1996 Windstar.
Rear wheel wells as much as I could from the inside....and cargo area (under carpet).
Back area seemed to quiet down a lot, not that I noticed it as particularly noisy before.

Some placement of dynamat on the inside of the front doors (helps the front speakers sound better).

As 12ounce mentions, keeping after worn suspension items helps a LOT.
Front strut assemblies helped......complete unit with springs and upper mounts as well as sway bar bushings.
I ran into this with my 2003 Sienna as well.....it sounded like a carnival with all the racket up there until I had the front strut assemblies sway bar links and bushing replaced.....SUPER improvement.

Quiet tires help also....rotating them so that they don't become "cupped" as happens if you leave the rear tires back there too long.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar