Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Forester
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 07:11 AM   #1
MMF
AF Newbie

Unhappy Forester transmission problems?

I purchased a used 1999 Forester S with an auto transmission approximately 5 months ago from a local dealer (70K miles). Everything has been sort of fine (minor problems only) until about a month ago when I noticed some hesitation in the transmission engaging (shifting from reverse to drive). Dealer nows says I'm looking at either a total rebuild or new transmission ($2-4K)???
MMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Kibo Knight
AF Newbie

Re: Forester transmission problems?

I have a '99 Forester S with the same problem. I started experiencing the hesitation about 2 years after I bought the car and have been to 3 different dealers to correct the problem, which none have been able to correct and only one claims to have been able to duplicate. The hesitation is now 15 sec in duration at times and my car is currently at a dealer who also cannot determine the problem. I paid for the extended warranty, but Subaru will not pay for any of the tests since they can't seem to find the problem. I would be most grateful if you could tell me which test(s) your dealers performed to conclude that your car required a new or rebuilt transmission to correct the problem? Thank you!
Kibo Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
MMF
AF Newbie

There wasn't any real diagnostic tests performed, just the "opinion" of the service technician when he noticed the transmission hesitating when shifting. The service manager suggested I get the transmission fluid and filter changed, which I did, but the problem went away only temporarily. As I didn't purchase an extended warranty, I'm currently putting up with it until being forced to do something. The service department did indicate that to do an actual diagnosis (pull the transmission) would cost about the same as replacing it. In your case, it seems unusual for the dealer to not change the transmission, especially if there is hesitation changing gears as I was told the problem would only progress to full failure.
MMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 AM   #4
Kibo Knight
AF Newbie

Yeah, I had my transmission flushed and the problem went away for about 6 months. After perusing numerous message boards on this problem, it is apparent that SOA and dealers will acknowledge this problem only after a car is out of warranty. I read something about a recall for this in Japan but can't find the actual bulletin. This is a serious and potentially fatal problem and maybe SOA is waiting for a $billion lawsuit before they are moved to action.
Kibo Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
mike40175
AF Newbie

Angry 99 Forester Trans Problem

I have a 99 Forester L w/auto tramsmission. I can drive in reverse all day with no problem. Going forward is hit and miss. Sometimes I can sit for 15 to 30 minutes before the forward gears engage. Once forward engages, I have no problem until I turn off the ignition. Servicing the trans is a temporary fix for a few thousand miles and then the problem slowly returns. I really like my car, but I'm sure the trans will eventually cease working all together.
mike40175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
Mtngal
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Forester transmission problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo Knight
Yeah, I had my transmission flushed and the problem went away for about 6 months. After perusing numerous message boards on this problem, it is apparent that SOA and dealers will acknowledge this problem only after a car is out of warranty. I read something about a recall for this in Japan but can't find the actual bulletin. This is a serious and potentially fatal problem and maybe SOA is waiting for a $billion lawsuit before they are moved to action.
I also have a 99 automatic Subaru Forester (only 51K miles) with a hesitation/lurching problem when putting it into drive. A local transmission co recommended rebuilding the transmission ($2-3k estimate) I called SOA but they said the vehicle is several months out of warranity and there weren't any recalls. They said I would have to take the vehicle to an authorized Subaru dealership for them to diagnose the problem before they would be able to look into my situation. I don't want the added expense from the dealership if SOA won't do anything about it. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
Jonee5
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Jonee5 Send a message via AIM to Jonee5 Send a message via Yahoo to Jonee5
Re: Re: Forester transmission problems?

Have 2002 forester, Transmission (torque-converter) started making a low pitch hum at about 57k, have extended warranty. Dropped at dealer, diagnosed as bad TqCvtr, the replaced tranny with re-mfg unit from SOA. No questions, No hassle. Have 67k on vehicle now..everything seems OK.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
SUBARU_TECH
AF Newbie

the fault with your hesitation from park to drive or reverse is from a worn piston seal on the fwd clutch pack.common problem with foresters.the time lag test should be no more that 1.5 seconds from park to drive/reverse.if you apply the throttle you are producing greater line pressure to overcome the lack of pressure in that clutch pack.then when it does apply the clutch pack with throotle you will get a shift shock.rebuild if you know your dealer tech is confident in trans rebuiling or just get the reman unit.
SUBARU_TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
NYowner
AF Newbie

I also have 99 Forester with the same transmission problem. It will not go into drive at times and when it does you have to give it gas, Subaru dealer told me after a 10 minute inspection that I need a new transmission, $,4,080. Has anyone used any other method to solve this problem
NYowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
michael2q
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 Subaru Forrester with 62.5K on it and the Transmission just went. The estimate is $3,800 for a rebuild. I have no other choice but to get it fixed. And to think I was considering to buy another Subaru to replace my other car which is a Honda with 120K with no major problems. NOT!! I will most likely replace the Honda with another Honda.
michael2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #11
drew.mather
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 S series AWD automatic. Have had similar problems described in this thread When I accelerate on hills (mostly when it is cold outside) I get a hesitation in the shifting of the gears and then a sudden engaging that gives the car a slight jolt. Have heard this is a transmission problem and a design flaw in all Forrester models. Is this true? I've had my tranny filter and internal and external grates replaced. Seemed to help for about a day and then it went back to the hesitation phase again. My mechanic says it's not a major problem and to just let the car warm up. I've done that to no avail. I am beginning to think it's worse than I am being told and am considering selling the Forrester and getting something outside the Subaru family. Anyone out there have any ideas on what's going on or what you think I should do? Thanks!
drew.mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
michael2q
AF Newbie

We had the same problem last year and earlier in the Winter with the transmission jerking when it first starts out. The car wouldn't move any more and had to be towed. The total cost $3,800 as estimated. What a piece of junk. I never heard of a car blowing a transmission at 62.5k miles. We also supplied proof that the fluids were changed every 20K as recommended. My next AWD will be a Toyota or Honda. This car will be sold in the next few months. Beware, don't buy a Subaru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.mather
I have a 2000 S series AWD automatic. Have had similar problems described in this thread When I accelerate on hills (mostly when it is cold outside) I get a hesitation in the shifting of the gears and then a sudden engaging that gives the car a slight jolt. Have heard this is a transmission problem and a design flaw in all Forrester models. Is this true? I've had my tranny filter and internal and external grates replaced. Seemed to help for about a day and then it went back to the hesitation phase again. My mechanic says it's not a major problem and to just let the car warm up. I've done that to no avail. I am beginning to think it's worse than I am being told and am considering selling the Forrester and getting something outside the Subaru family. Anyone out there have any ideas on what's going on or what you think I should do? Thanks!
michael2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
lloydro1
AF Newbie

We have a 99 Forester w/auto tramsmission. My spouse can drive in reverse all day with no problem. Going forward is hit and miss. Sometimes I can sit for 15 to 30 minutes before the forward gears engage. Once forward engages, I have no problem until I turn off the ignition. The transmission was repaired under the used car service warranty. This transmission failed three times in the last two years and all internal transmission sensors were replaced. The xmission expert said he did not know what to do? The problem seemed to get better when we had the engine seals replaced which were leaking?? Keep in mind these failures could produce a lethal result. My spouse has had many serious close encounters when the transmission fails. And yesterday, the car has a Check Engine light". My spouse has been very afraid of this lemon as should be all owners.
lloydro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
freakray
AF Modelrater

A '99 Forester a lemon? Get your head checked, you're talking about transmission issues on an 8 year old car!

What's the mileage on the car?

Sounds like there is a fluid issue, have you checked the fluid level in the transmission? When last was the transmission flushed and the fluid replaced?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
scooby-doo-b-doo
AF Newbie

I am also having problems with my auto tranny on my 1999. When i am cruising at 40 MPH no problem apart from a little kick when it changes gear but if i was to put my foot down its a totally different store, it just doesnt change up a gear unless i drop off the accelerate and back down again it will then change up a gear?!.. it has 116000 on the clock and i have just services the gear box i.e. tranny fluid and filter but still have the same problem... The Subaru Forester is a well built car, then again Subaru do build good motors so i wouldnt get shot of it or go out and buy something else... All i want is to find out what the problem is and fixing it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray
A '99 Forester a lemon? Get your head checked, you're talking about transmission issues on an 8 year old car!

What's the mileage on the car?

Sounds like there is a fluid issue, have you checked the fluid level in the transmission? When last was the transmission flushed and the fluid replaced?
scooby-doo-b-doo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Forester