Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > TVR > Wedge
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 07:06 PM   #1
ZondaFreak02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ZondaFreak02
pics?

anyone got pics?

eat...sleep...race...TOYOTA

SAAB...worlds safest..worlds koolest
ZondaFreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 08:56 PM   #2
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
I'll post some in a sec, heres some info on it, taken from http://homepage.mac.com/tvr43/history/wedge.html

Quote:
The "wedge" series of TVRs first hit the scene in the 1980 model year. The announcement of the fixed head coupe came in January 1980 from the factory while the +2 and convertible versions were unveiled just in time for showing at the British motor show at the NEC in October 1980. This new model was known by the name of TASMIN, which was the name of a girl TVR owner Martin Lilley knew at the time. This car was the result of Lilley's commissioning of freelance engineer-stylist Oliver Winterbottom who had been styling manager at Lotus when the Elite, Eclat and Esprit models were developed. As with previous TVR models, the new wedge-shaped Tasmin was constructed of a hand-laid fiberglass body over a strong tubular steel chassis and featured the Cologne-Ford 2.8 litre V-6 engine mated to a Ford 4-speed transmission.

The new Tasmin series was marketed in the home market, Europe and Canada beginning in 1980 but did not arrive in the U.S. market until 1983. That year, US importer Peter Bircumshaw distributed the convertible models of the Tasmin to American dealers where the cars carried sticker prices in excess of $28,000. They were quite a departure from the previous M-series models that had sold so well in the States. These cars were larger, were fitted with air conditioning, power windows, leather interiors, AM-FM stereo/cassette, and walnut dash. Approximately 40 1983 US-spec Tasmins were imported that year. Then, in 1984, the cars that came to the states were known as Tasmin/280i models and late in 1984 TVR began importing the Coupe model to be sold alongside the convertibles. For the 1985 model year, all the US-spec TVRs were known as the 280i(coupe or convertible) and are known as the series 1 1/2 due to changes made to the cars. The biggest changes to the cars came for the 1986 model year with the advent of the restyled Series 2 280i, available only in convertible. These cars featured neatly-swept faired-in door mirrors, smaller and much neater bumpers with rubber strips as opposed to the larger, more cumbersome bumpers that were fitted to the Series 1-1 1/2 cars. The cars also featured restyled front spoilers, rear valances, different taillights, and different rocker panel treatment as well as color-coordinated wheels.

By this time, the distribution for TVR in the states had moved to Connecticut where it was headed up by the Bradley organization. While other markets now had both the 350i and 390SE models, featuring different sizes of the Rover-based aluminum V-8 engine, these models were never officially available in the States, although a couple did come in as Auto Show Cars and remained in the country. Although 70 per cent of TVR production went to the states during the mid 1980's, by 1987 TVR was no longer importing to the US and these models were available only through the Canadian importer, John Wadman. While the US market dried up after several hundred 280i models, including a couple of dozen coupes, were imported, the sale of the wedge cars in other markets continued with the introduction of still more models, including the 400SE, the 450SE, and the 420 and 450 SEAC which featured a differently- styled front end, more highly tuned engines, and a special equipment aramid composite (kevlar) body. The last of these cars rolled off the assembly line in 1991 by which time another new series of TVR body had been on the market for several years, returning to the more rounded theme of styling. Although TVR has not had a dealer network in the United States for thirteen years now, the cars still remain popular among their followers, and continue to find new devotees each year, due in part, to TVRs growing presence worldwide with their current series of motorcars.
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
Images taken from the same site as the info.

YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 07:45 AM   #4
ZondaFreak02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ZondaFreak02
not a bad looking car if i say so myself...but..whats with the exhausts?

eat...sleep...race...TOYOTA

SAAB...worlds safest..worlds koolest
ZondaFreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 04:46 PM   #5
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

they have such sweet sounding engines. theyre pretty rare even over here in the UK
Old 03-12-2004, 02:02 AM   #6
Shaitan
AF Enthusiast

Re: pics?

Those exhaust pipes are horrible!!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
DZeckhausen
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
That 280i Coupe in the earlier picture looks very familiar!

I bought that car new in 1986 when I was in my last year at Duke University. It was a daily driver for many years and I finally sold it in 1994 after replacing it with a Mazda RX-7 TT. Looks like I've found it again! Does anyone know who the current owner is?

Here are photos of the car when I owned it:

Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
Hazzard01
AF Newbie

i have a 280i tasmin and as far as i know its the only hardtop one in western australia... ill be sure to post some pics in the next few weeks.
im lookin at making it into a street/track weapon, with such performance upgrades as a getrag 5-speed trans out of a beemer and getting rid of the Bosch k-jet system... does anybody know what alternatives i have for an intake manifold? so far i can only find the offenhauser 4-barrell item which is VERY pricey, especially when you factor in freight costs. if anybody knows of one of these manifolds just lying about, please dont hesitate to get in touch.

cheers
Hazzard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
corn_cob
AF Newbie

wow... worst exhaust pipes I've ever seen! i don't really like the body shape either. pretty gross looking cars in my opinion.
corn_cob is offline   Reply With Quote