Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
emiracleworker1
AF Newbie

1.6 Diesel timing questions

I just had to replace the injector pump on my 81 Rabbit diesel. Motor has a true 95K on it, but the pump was leaking from sitting so much and wouldn't draw fuel from the tank... it would draw from a glass jar under the hood and run fine, but the pump would empty onto the ground over night. I replaced with a tested, rebuilt pump... meaning it ran on another motor to verify the rebuild was done correctly. I've worked on VW's extensively in my younger years but never actually had to replace a pump (done timing adjustments more times than I can count), which is what I hope is throwing me off here:

I can't determine if I am truly TDC on the flywheel. Every VW diesel I've owned has had different markings. Some have been an actual 0, some have been a nub, some have been a raised line, etc. I am "guessing" on this flywheel that the little V groove that has the line down the center is what I should be lining up with the pointer? That's where I have it now.... cam locked, pump locked (and not 180° off) and at the assumed TDC on the flywheel. I can turn the motor by hand with all locks removed and there's no interference or weird feelings.

Back at TDC, inserted the dial gauge, rolled the motor back till the needle stopped moving, zeroed it it and turned the motor back to TDC. Once again, I am confused. I have the pump to the full advance position, yet can only get the needle up to .40mm. Not sure how to get it up to .86-.95 if I am out of adjustment.

I have noticed the needle moves more than I remember when rotating the motor backward until it stops moving... seems like it's rolling back 2 or 3 mm. Meaning the needle spins around the dial at least twice in this process.

My question being: with a new pump install, should I put the pump in the full retard position to start with the dial gauge?... or just a random spot in the middle?... or am I totally missing something?

I tried to start it and was willing to time by ear, but the motor won't start. It turns over evenly, hops and coughs like it's cold, getting smoke out the exhaust, but won't actually start and run. After several attempts, I can turn the flywheel to the assumed TDC mark and everything lines up, so not concerned that I'm off a tooth anywhere.

I am getting fuel (and yes, using fresh diesel)... can crack the fuel lines, crank and get fuel out of them so again verifying the pump is working.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
emiracleworker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
culliphj
AF Newbie

Re: 1.6 Diesel timing questions

timing belt slip
high commen is it that the belt may slip at high RMPs
i had my belt to slip 180 degree's a month ago
first time ever
had car since 1999
have had the belt replace a number of times
np
culliphj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
emiracleworker1
AF Newbie

I don't think I have any slipping issues. I've since gotten the car started and runs fine, just has no power... or it's been so long since I've driven it that I've forgotten how weak these little motors are. The no start issue was actually bad glow plugs. Not sure how they went bad just sitting there, but things happen! I still can't figure out why I can't adjust the pump any higher than .40. Everything else seems normal... I can run it and coughs black smoke when I get into the pedal or high RPM, I just can't help but think it's lacking power because I'm unable to adjust the pump further than .40
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
culliphj
AF Newbie

hi sir
thanks you for your reply
your engine is giving black smoke when you increaseyour speed or load
thats a sign your engine is getting what it needs
i'm not sure what you measuring
timing mark is a (v) cut inthe pressure plate /flywheel
you'll have there also so balance places on each side of the mark that pretude outward
pump timing,,sproket has a small mark on it
also the pump has a mark on it rite there bye the sprocket
the cam shalt looking at the engine standing in front of car,transmission end
a slote thats off center
that is to be aligned with the edge of the head
need a flat bar about 3/32 thick to insert in that slot and for it to lay on the edge of the head
3/4 botl for the pump sprocket
you have two holes of 3/4 inch size there
with mark at top,put a bolt thru that hole towards the front,and all the way thru the pump mounting frame
loosen the cam shaft sproket and install the belt
after you got it as tight as recomended
retighten the procket
now recheck the cranksaft tdc mark if all is where it should be
thats pretty much it
remember the bolt in the pump spocket
to remove it
after you start it and it warms up you can fine tune the pump timing bye ear by moving it back or forward
it can move about 3 to 5 degrees either way

to make sure that all's ok
turn the engine over bf
efore the glo plug can heat up
should turn free
if you have a 4 speed
the gear spacing between 3 and 4 is a lot
5 and 4 speeds are geared the same in final gear
from 3 to 4 the forth gear bogs the enguine down some

Last edited by culliphj; 06-11-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: mispelled a word
culliphj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
emiracleworker1
AF Newbie

I am STILL lost on this. The car runs smooth and starts easily but has no power and tons of black smoke (can't make out anything in the rear view when my foot is in it). 45 mph in 2nd while going downhill with the wind pushing me is nothing but a fantasy... that's slow!
I am 100% positive that all my marks are lined up, but here's where/why I am lost:
I have adjusted the pump timing from anywhere between 0.00 and 2.2 (yes, I know a range of 0.88-.095 is where it should be). I have the same results and running conditions; runs perfect, but no power and tons of black smoke regardless of where the pump is. That's a pretty wide range to not notice any difference... I've had my other VW's retarded and they blow white smoke while running hot or too far advanced to where they won't even start or will rattle your teeth out, so can't understand why I can move the pump the full extent of the adjustment in either direction (and anywhere in between) and the car runs the exact same.
Please help me figure this thing out before it goes for a ride in the lake!