Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #16
roland1963
AF Newbie

Re: 2006 Altima no heat when idling

Frankly, I don't know WHAT the dealer can do. This is a KNOWN issue for years on Altimas.

If you read the New Car Buying Guide by Consumer Reports, it states that the heating is poor even for 2007s. What does this tell you?

Nissan is ignoring the problem - that's what it tells me.

Who's got the time to take the car back time after time after time? I assume if you stick to your guns and DO take it back 3 times or more, it SHOULD fall under the 3 strikes Lemon Law many states have on cars. If the same issue occurrs 3 times and it is still not fixed, something has to be done - get another car, or something....it is the law....
roland1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #17
Ron&Beth
AF Newbie

I also have an Altima (2005) and it is having the same problem with the cold air at Idle. My vehicle has 30K miles and the dealers solution is air pocket removal, antifreeze breakdown and a 30,000 service schedule. I am wondering about the waterpump vanes being worn. At a higher revolution, more fluid would be passed through the heater core. Just a guess. Has anyone been able to come up with a solution?
Ron&Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
richt03
AF Newbie

2005 Altima, same problem

Hello, i have a 2005 Altima and am having the same problem. It has 46K miles on it.

I bought the extended warranty on my Altima (to 60,000) I think, but I am not sure if this would be covered?? I need to look through my paperwork i guess.....

Please let me know if you find a solution.
richt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #19
roland1963
AF Newbie

richt03 - Of course it should be covered, no heat? I'd say that's a problem....Wouldn't you?

Look at posting #14 on page 1 for a suggested remedy...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
richt03
AF Newbie

Thanks Roland1963 - yes you are right about the warranty. I checked it and I got the 100,000 extended warranty. When I called though, they said the first thing they would do was a coolant flush which would cost me 60.00.

I went and bought a radiator cap today. Now I just need to figure out how to raise the front end!

T
Old 03-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #21
roland1963
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richt03
Thanks Roland1963 - yes you are right about the warranty. I checked it and I got the 100,000 extended warranty. When I called though, they said the first thing they would do was a coolant flush which would cost me 60.00.

I went and bought a radiator cap today. Now I just need to figure out how to raise the front end!

T
Ok, what am I missing here? They agree there is a problem, your car is under warranty and they're going to charge you $60 to "flush" it? A flush is part of maintenance and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If a flush, according to them is the fix to the problem they admitted your car has, then the fix should be covered under the warranty, wouldn't you agree? Feel free to call Nissan headquarters and vent this lie with them.

As far as doing it yourself and how to raise the front end, they do have those ramps at your local auto parts store (about $18 a pair) - make sure to use the emergency brake and all necessary precautions when you do this....

And don't forget to pick up that gallon of ALREADY MIXED antifreeze from Prestone - that's right, the one the dealer claims you shouldn't put in your Nissan yet Prestone themselves will back up their claim that you can....

I've been using it myself without a problem...

Isn't it funny how, when they bring up the sales pitch for the extended warranty they don't mention you have to have a law degree to fight with them? Let us know how this works out for you....
Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #22
richt03
AF Newbie

Hello, I got my car back from Nissan yesterday. They did a coolant flush and "got the air out" they say. It seems to be working now. We shall see once it gets cold here again. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
Top Back
AF Newbie

How do you program a factory keyless entry remote on a 2006 Nissan Maxima
Top Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #24
crazyy_e
AF Newbie

Well it's now March 9th. It's been more than a month since i've heard from Nissan, and well the problem still continues. They were told on several occasions and simply said they would look into it. Sadly the cold seems to be done. By the time the cold weather comes back around my warranty will be nearly over, since i'm already at 35,000km and it just turned a year old. The problem is still there considering a few days ago it was around -25 Celcius below, or -13 F. I drove the car to a friends house around 15 minutes away, and believe me, it was nice and toasty in the car. I then got to their house, kept it running while I ran inside for maybe 5 minutes, got back in and guess what? cold air ! Even tried to bring the fan down to a lower speed, still did nothing. I agree with a few people that Nissan must know about this problem if they suggest doing such odd things . I supose they aren't ready to fix the problem.
crazyy_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
russtyk
AF Newbie

I am looking at buying a 2000 or 2001 Altima and was just reading about some of the possible problems. Right now I have a 98 Camry with a similar problem. Is it possible that the system gets burped to get the air out and for some reason air is getting back into the system?

Any other common problems with the Altima I should look out for?

Russ
russtyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #26
crazyy_e
AF Newbie

Well as everyone knows, all cars can have problems. As long as the dealership can fix them while under waranty, I have no problem with it. As for my car, my power steering fluid was leaking, my vanity light on the visor wasn't working on the driver side, my transmission kicks in real hard when shifting from park on a cooler morning, even after being run for 5 min... Nealy all the problems were fixed real easily, but the heating problem... still nothing yet.
crazyy_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #27
blownb210
AF Newbie

I've heard that the 3.5 Altimas have two thermostats? Can anyone confirm this please? If so where are they located?

Mike
blownb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
gophishn
AF Newbie

Having the same problem as everyone else.2004 Nissan Altima 76,000 miles.Whats the verdict here.what is the Fix Help!
gophishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #29
blownb210
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophishn View Post
Having the same problem as everyone else.2004 Nissan Altima 76,000 miles.Whats the verdict here.what is the Fix Help!
There's air in your cooling system. Bleed it out and you'll have heat at idle. The problem with our car was that the hot/cold knob was internally broken and not opening the cable operated lever under the dash on the driver's side for hot/cold operation. But our problem was not the usual deal that most people have [air in system].
blownb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
Handcannon.357
AF Newbie

My wife's 2004 Altima (4 cyl) experienced the same symptoms (heater was not terribly warm, blew cold at idle, gurgling sound under dash (likely heater core) occassionally. The fix was SIMPLE. I parked the car on a steep hill, going up hill. I removed the radiator cap (let it cool first, or it will spew hot coolant & burn you - use a towel, too, just to be extra safe). Start the car and let it warm up. Rev it up to about 2500-3000 rpm and hold it there for about three minutes. Coolant will circulate and burble out of the top of the radiator - along with the air pockets that were in the system. Once this is done, top off the radiator with anti-freeze mix (use the right kind - (green) and use distilled water to mix it). Put the radiator cap back on and top off the coolant recovery reservoir. It took about ten minutes, about a quart of anti-freeze and no tools. It immediately began blowing HOT - even at idle. That's it! Very simple, very inexpensive. Obviously, your problem could be more involved, but this is definitely the thing to try first. It worked like a charm for me. The hill I used put the front wheels about 2-1/2 feet above the rear wheels (fairly steep hill). Good luck!
Handcannon.357 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima