Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
itsame124
AF Newbie

Exclamation 2006 Monte Carlo 3.5 liter flexfuel throttle body issue

A month or so ago my engine light came on with the message "engine power is reduced". well i had it checked out, the code from the engine light suggested a bad throttle body. I then replaced the throttle body myself. (unplugged the throttle body sensor, unscrewed the four bolt holding it on, replaced with new throttle body, and reattached cord to new sensor that was attached to the new throttle body) i then re-learned the idle speed through chevys process on their help website. The engine light disappeared and everything was a okay for about a week and a half. then it started doing the same thing again. (engine light came on message appeared, obvious reduction in power from the throttle) It is continuing to get worse and sometimes it will shut off my engine display the message "starting disabled service throttle". I have been shuting the car off ( if it wasn't already off) and wiggling the wires leading to the sensor attached to the throttle body. i'd then close the hood and start the car and it would act normal (engine light still on) with no reduction in power until the next time (which was usually about 30 driving min later give or take) recently a new symptom popped up when i am going uphill or giving it the beans it'll display the usual engine pwer reduced message and sometimes shut off the car. not only that but if it gives me the message and shuts off if i dont wiggle the wires or something of that nature when i start it the whole car shutters while the rpms go up and down. so did i just get bad luck and buy a faulty throttle body ( i bought i t brand new from o'riellys or however you spell that) or is there something else wrong with it or did i do something wrong?
itsame124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2006 Monte Carlo 3.5 liter flexfuel throttle body issue

I think you answered your own question......

This is the TAC system...there is no cable to the throttle body...it is motorized and has double tps sensors....

You can have a problem with the throttle body......the accelerator pedal(there is a sensor there)..... or you can have a wiring problem....

Many throttle bodies are replaced needlessly, due to bad harnesses to it....you can have either a bad female connector in the harness connector, or you can have a bad broken wire in the harness to the connector....it could be right at the connector or it can be in the harness several inches from the end of the harness, due to flexing....the wire could be broke inside the insulation, but still making contact....but with engine movement, it could intermittently lose contact and create the code....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo