Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
mhenning
AF Newbie

tranny leak

I need help and advise. I have a 2000 intrigue (w/ a 3.5), it is leaking tranny fluid pretty bad. I cleaned under the tranny to see where it might be leaking and I was hoping it was the tranny pan, but it is not. where else would it be leaking? it looks like its possibly coming from the passenger drive axel. how hard is it to fix it? I keep adding fluid so I dont wreck my transmission but this cant go on for ever. any advise or experience on what could possibly be leaking would be awesome and what ever advise. Kind of in a bind right now.
mhenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: tranny leak

Well, obviously, you have to pinpoint where the leak is first.....

Usual spots are the pan, torque converter seal, tranny axle seals, overflow, seal at dipstick( if it has one), and worse case scenario, a crack in the case.....

If it is the axle seal, then fairly easy to replace......

Jack the vehicle, remove the wheel, release the brake line from the strut, separate the ball joint, pop the axle out of the tranny with a pry bar or slide hammer with special tool(may need a second pair of hands to pull on the strut to give you clearance to get the end of the axle out of the tranny.....then remove the seal with a seal remover, or collapse the metal outer edge of of the seal inward with a screwdriver/hammer....be careful not to ruin the surface of the tranny, with the screwdriver, where the metal edge of the seal mates with the tranny....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
mhenning
AF Newbie

Re: tranny leak

I had cleaned under the car to see if I could pin point it. And it dont look like the tranny pan at all. (i am going to double check. but it seems like the area of the passenger side around the axel area. If the leak is anywhere else I am kind of screwed, I am not sure if there is a way to access anywhere else without pulling the motor. I am not sure. I am going to take another look tomorrow.
mhenning is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue