Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Re: Pocher F40 WIP

Here are a couple of shots of the cam covers in primer... I modified them so they fit like a cam cover should. I also modified the heads so the ends of the cam bore castings stuck out from both ends of the heads with aluminum tubing, which connects to the timing belt covers on the front end. At the back are the mounts for the Magnetti Marelli cam position sensors and breather outlet and cover plates also made from aluminum tubing. Those who have built this motor with or without the Autograph TK know what the cam covers look like stock and should be able to pick out the differences. I also added the correct PCV scavenge hose tubes right above the Ferrari logos with brass tubing. Oh, and these cam covers are cast from metal, the logos filed off, P/E logos added and then textured, primed and shot with Tamiya TS-8.

Stay tuned, more to come...

BM1
bmwmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Now we start into the engine photos... I'll try to describe the changes and mods, but if you see something or have a question, just ask.

First up is a straight-on shot... water pump modified with correct outlets on front and rear of thermostat housing, Alt and A/C brackets made from brass, alternator is adjustable for correct belt tension via brass bolts, misc detailing with brass and stainless bolts washers, nuts...

Next is a rear shot, showing the modified oil filter/oil pressure mount with correct pressure line outlets for the return line and feed lines for the turbos and the sending unit electrical connector, Magnetti/Marelli Cam sensor housings with electrical connectors added, breather tube with P/E clamp(still another clamp and P/E coverplate to add at bottom where it disappears into the belhousing) P/E inspection "grid" on top of bellhousing and misc nuts, bolts, washers...

Now I'll just post a few more shots and you all can ask questions at will... The acorn nuts are from Marvin at Model Motorcars and a keen eye will notice the mods to the exhaust manifold flange castings on the cylinder head and the modified intake manifold mounting area. Both have been heavily modified to be more correct and I'll post pics when they are ready to fit to the motor... Enjoy again! BM1

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
AustinMartin
AF Regular

Wow!
Ferrari F2007
Ferrari 250 Testarossa

"Speed never killed anyone, it the stopping suddenly that kills you"
"With every post they take off me........they take a piece of my heart" PAP 348
AustinMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
CFarias
AF Regular

Very nice work. Are you using resistance soldering for the brass joints and, if so, what brand/set up are you using.

Thanks in advance.
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFarias
Very nice work. Are you using resistance soldering for the brass joints and, if so, what brand/set up are you using.

Thanks in advance.
Good observation, Chris... I have an American Beauty setup, with the straight tip, ground lead and footswitch, plus a couple of butane torches of various sizes. It's kind of like arc welding with brass and solder... it works very well and the heat is very concentrated. Marvin from www.modelmotorcars.com was telling me about a supertrick hydrogen torch setup that I may get as well. It is expensive, but the tip is the size of a hypodermic needle and it can burn at up to 5000 degrees F! Talk about pinpoint heat! Anyway, that's down the road a bit, but yes, almost the entire frame has been done with a resistance setup.

BM1
Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #21
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1
Good observation, Chris... I have an American Beauty setup, with the straight tip, ground lead and footswitch, plus a couple of butane torches of various sizes. It's kind of like arc welding with brass and solder... it works very well and the heat is very concentrated. Marvin from www.modelmotorcars.com was telling me about a supertrick hydrogen torch setup that I may get as well. It is expensive, but the tip is the size of a hypodermic needle and it can burn at up to 5000 degrees F! Talk about pinpoint heat! Anyway, that's down the road a bit, but yes, almost the entire frame has been done with a resistance setup.

BM1
Sorry, but for some reason I assumed when I was typing that your name was Chris...if it is, great guess, if not, sorry to offend. Stupid me... I hit the post reply button too soon...

BM1
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #22
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Superbly interesting WIP! Thank you. Don't be afraid to hit us with all the building details and techniques! I think I could grow to like the larger scales, seems a bit more like building something accurately than struggling to build an approximation. Well, it's all a matter of degree I guess, but anyway, fantastic stuff, keep it coming!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #23
nipponts
AF Newbie

Amazing chassis !
Old 01-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #24
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Thanks everyone, I have not made much progress over the holidays... too many things going on, but I will get some more stuff up soon. There's still a ton more to do on the chassis and engine and I have not even started on the interior or body yet. BTW, the big plan for the body is to cast the white metal in plaster sections and "lay-up" an entire new body frm a gelcoat/fiberglass composite. Much closer to the proper thickness and I can laminate it to the frame, just like Ferrari builds it! Stay tuned...

BM1
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #25
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Good grief! That's gorgeous
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #26
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
BTW, the big plan for the body is to cast the white metal in plaster sections and "lay-up" an entire new body frm a gelcoat/fiberglass composite. Much closer to the proper thickness and I can laminate it to the frame, just like Ferrari builds it! Stay tuned...

BM1
I'd love to see how you get on with this process as this is exactly how I want to make the body for my Spyder. I know someone who lays up 1/8th car bodies in prepregnated carbon fibre this way, but he's fortunate to have access to an autoclave oven. The advantages are that he gets perfect 1mm thick shells every time.
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
vagrant1958
AF Newbie

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I have not made much progress over the holidays... too many things going on, but I will get some more stuff up soon. There's still a ton more to do on the chassis and engine and I have not even started on the interior or body yet. BTW, the big plan for the body is to cast the white metal in plaster sections and "lay-up" an entire new body frm a gelcoat/fiberglass composite. Much closer to the proper thickness and I can laminate it to the frame, just like Ferrari builds it! Stay tuned...

BM1
Fantastic work so far! I understand why you are trying to remake as much as possible, the Pocher fits are terrible and sometimes the parts are so unrepresentative...I have spent ages just on the Testarossa engine and don't seem to make any progress.

Would love to hear more on some of your techniques and materials, especially the painted effects you have already achieved on the engine. Also where do you source your brass bolts from?

Question regarding casting the body from the Pocher white metal body and then laying up in fibreglass.....Surely, your tubular body chassis will then be the wrong size if you then have the proper thickness??.....hope you can work that one out (no doubting you will looking at your skills).

Good luck
vagrant1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster
I'd love to see how you get on with this process as this is exactly how I want to make the body for my Spyder. I know someone who lays up 1/8th car bodies in prepregnated carbon fibre this way, but he's fortunate to have access to an autoclave oven. The advantages are that he gets perfect 1mm thick shells every time.
I looked at your Spyder thread... now that's scratchbuilding!!! Nothing like doing it the way it's done in 1:1! Yes, having access to an autoclave would be awesome, but alas, in all of the equipment in my shop, I don't have an autoclave. So I'll use the method that I'm familiar with, which is fiberglass. I won't start the body for a bit yet, since I want to get the frame/suspension done first, but I'm sure there will be lots of eager viewers when I start in on the mold making! I may get some work done in the next few days, so stay tuned... And I'll be looking for progress on your Spyder, too!!!

BM1
Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #29
CFarias
AF Regular

Quote:
Sorry, but for some reason I assumed when I was typing that your name was Chris...if it is, great guess, if not, sorry to offend. Stupid me... I hit the post reply button too soon...

BM1
No sweat! I looked at some American Beauty's on the MicroMark website. What wattage is your system?
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFarias
No sweat! I looked at some American Beauty's on the MicroMark website. What wattage is your system?
It's the 105-A3, which is the 100w system. Didn't figure I'd ever need more power than that, since I'm not soldering very thick material, even at this scale. I'm sure if you get one, you won't be dissatisfied. I wasn't, for sure...

BM1

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports