Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
aking3000gt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to aking3000gt Send a message via Yahoo to aking3000gt
Question HELP!!! exhaust manifold gasket replacement

Can someone please assist me in removing my exhaust manifolds so that i may replace my gaskets.... i have a 94' 3000gt VR4... i have leakage in either the front or rear ... just going to replace both .... would like to do it myself if its fairly easy thanks

Check out my Cardomain Website!!!http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/800196
aking3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Hotshot8792
AF Enthusiast

Re: HELP!!! exhaust manifold gasket replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking3000gt
Can someone please assist me in removing my exhaust manifolds so that i may replace my gaskets.... i have a 94' 3000gt VR4... i have leakage in either the front or rear ... just going to replace both .... would like to do it myself if its fairly easy thanks
eww, you'll have to pull your turbos to do that.

gosh, where to begin, and its a pain in the ass if you still have all the studs, which is why i pulled all my studs and put bolts in its place.

Your gonna have to drain your oil and coolant to begin.

Then, you'll have to pull your radiator out and your upper intake manifold, and some intercooler piping thats in the way. Also, any intake piping and intercooler piping coming off the turbo needs to be disconnected from the turbos.

Now, you'll have to disconnect your oil return lines from the oil pan, then you can disconnect the other oil lines and all coolant lines from the turbo cartridge. Then you'll need to disconnect the O2 housings/precats from the exhaust side of the turbocharger. (You can also remove the downpipe from the precats as well to make things a little easier, but is not necessary). If the rear one is too hard, you might have to pull the clamp from the turbine housing/cartridge connection and take it off that way. Then, you'll need to undo the bolts connecting the turbocharger from the exhaust manifolds. Once you do that, you can pull your turbos out.

Now, you can undo the nuts that connect the exhaust manifold from the heads, there should be 7 on each side. Then, you pull the manifolds off, replace the gasket, and put everything back together in the reverse order you took it off.

There will be some gaskets you will need to replace just cause you took the parts apart. The ones you will need to replace for sure are the ones that connect the oil and coolant lines to the turbo and the oil pan. The other ones should be good unless you destroy one of them. Hope this helps you get started. I've done two turbo swaps on my car, and have replaced the manifolds on it before, so i know how it is, but i do highly recommend removing the studs out of the turbos when you get them out, and use bolts in its place. It will make your life easier when putting the turbos back on.

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL-TT Automatic - Black
3.05 L Arias Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, DR Stage 3 heads, 3SX TD05 kit w/ E16G's, CX Racing FMIC, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255lph pump, + supporting mods

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Black
Intake & Boost Controller so far

2006 Sea-Doo RXP Supercharged, Updraded SC, IC + supporting mods
Hotshot8792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to talskinyguy

I would recomend using new gaskets for each part you take apart, they are metal, but they may not seal correctly the 2nd time around, and then you will be tearing it all apart again.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

Would either of you know how to remove bolts from the engine block?? I was trying to change my exhaust manifold gasket on my 2001 rodeo and two of the bolts clean snapped. Nothing is exposed on the bolts anymore other than the post.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

ALREADY TRIED: reverse bolt set. we broke the drill bit twice when trying to drill into the bolt. PLEASE HELP!
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Girly VR-4
AF Regular

a 7 year old thread bump, to ask about an isuzu engine??..... me'thinks you are in the wrong section....
1996 Orchid Pearl Stealth R/T.... daily driver duty, 275k+ miles and counting!
1995 3000GT Spyder SL... being modified...

Girly VR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

sure it may seem odd... but im somewhat desperate and it was one of the only threads I could find regarding the exhaust manifold gasket bolts (on any car).

Seeing as removing a broken bolt from ANY engine block seems equally daunting... I was hoping SOMEONE might have SOME help.

Regardless of what I was thinking... thanks for ...um?... just thanks.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Girly VR-4
AF Regular

drill it out and retap it.
1996 Orchid Pearl Stealth R/T.... daily driver duty, 275k+ miles and counting!
1995 3000GT Spyder SL... being modified...

Girly VR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

Tried that and on two seperate occasions broke the reverse drill bit.

Bolts were simply too hard to tap. Had AAA tow it to a machine shop who Electro-Arc'd it. $160 there I wasn't planning on spending... but then found out life tax had more in store for me. Manifold itself is completely cracked so I just bought a new one online for $200 shipped. There's another chunk I wasn't plannin on haha...joy.

Good news is it should be good for a few more years now.

All in all...Cleaned EGR. Replaced valve cover gasket, spark plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel sending unit, oil/air/fuel filters, camshaft position sensor, alternator, exhaust manifold & gasket, thermostat and battery. ....and have a new a/c compressor on the way. With all that... im hoping Suzi will run til she rusts!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth