Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
speedyvision917
AF Newbie

what should i get????

im looking for a late 80's early 90's car that comes stock with a lot of hp or is fast stock. i need something for the winter when i take my truck off the road and i want something that has some balls. i was thinking about a mustang 5.0 but im not a ford fan at all. what about a grandam? or older supra? ill be willing to spend 2000 at the most since most of my money will be goin into my truck. what would u all suggest?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
speedyvision917
AF Newbie

ok... anyone???
Old 11-05-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
got v-tec?
AF Enthusiast

my back up car is an 88 mazda mx6 w/ 247,550miles and still runs strong!
ive raced alot of cars in it for the hell of it and have won alot. i mean nothing to special but ive beat a 99 civic dx and a 94 accord lx and raced a 00 dodge ram(turbow/330hp) and barely won. imagine that car with only 150,000 i bet you'll have an extra 7-10hp
pretty fast and very dependable and you can get like a 93 for about 2000 witch would be even faster. go look in auto trader and test drive one you'll be surprized.
p.s. Ive owned it for 8 years and never had any problems.
got v-tec? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

If you want something fast...maybe an older naturally aspirated rx7. It's pretty fast, light and should last awhile if the apex seals are in good shape and it wasn't thrashed by the previous owner. Not to be harsh to mazda, but their build quality kinda sucks in most cases so I would steer clear of most of their cars besides the rx7 and mx3...and the mx3 is pretty slow.

To put it in perspective...a cavalier has better power to weight ratio than an mx6 and a cavalier is still pretty slow.

Some other cars to consider:
Nissan 240sx (older s13s can be found for cheap)
Nissan Sentra (early 90's...comes with an sr20de engine)
Toyota Supra (3rd gen)
Toyota MR2 (mk1)

I dunno many more cars to list off for you since 2000 isn't much...3-4k can get you a lot of choices if you shop around.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
speedyvision917
AF Newbie

thanks, i think im gonna look around for either a supra or maybe the nissan, also ill look for an mx6.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:13 AM   #6
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

Send a message via AIM to Thepeug
You can get a stock CRX for less than $2000. It has superb handling, is respectably quick, and is a lot of fun to drive.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A