Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9000
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
Dynastar197
AF Newbie

9000 Aero 2.3 T

Anybody know anything about Saab 9000 Aeros? Ive just started finding out info on these hot cars and was wondering if anybody else thought they were sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Im also trying to get one. 225-440hp!!!!!
Dynastar197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
saab9kturbo
AF Newbie

9000 aero

oh, they are sweet cars. if you want to know about them go to http://www.kyankton.net/. i currently drive a 1990 9000 turbo and its a blast. the 9000 aero is supposed to run a 14.6 stock, very impressive for a car of its size and type. also a blast to drive, and extremely tunable. parts are definately on the expensive side though, but you pay for uniqueness and the most comfortable performance seats ever to grace an automobile. 1994+ have updated cam and balance shaft gears and a better tranny. they also weigh more but you get alot of hp's

Last edited by saab9kturbo; 02-01-2004 at 10:20 PM.
saab9kturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Re: 9000 Aero 2.3 T

I would recommend a 1994 or newer, they have the "short block" engine.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
Dynastar197
AF Newbie

Well, just reporting back to announce that Ive purchased a 93 9000 Aero!
I picked it up for 8000$ with about 70,000 miles on it. Its a one owner vehicle, that had been well mantained. My mechanic told me this because it was his car! He owns a local Saab performance shop so I was more than willing to take him up on his offer. You were not lying about the seats. Recaro.. mmmmmm

This car is seriously Fast. A little bit of lag but once the turbo comes in the tires feel like butter.

The downpipe was bad so I just replaced the whole system with a full JT 3in catback exhaust. This car screams!
Dynastar197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
saab9kturbo
AF Newbie

congrats!

Its good to see new saab owners, for sure! If you are truly interested in performance and reliablity (mucho importante!!) get the kit to disable the TCS system, it was madatory on 1993 cars and didnt come with a switch. The TCS is prone to throttle body (it's electronic) problems and such, and when the TCS fails the car goes down with it. Have a good time with that car (IT IS A BEEEEEAST), and make sure to check out kevin Y's page that i left the link for above (Hp's galore), he was really into it (one fast machine with no internal changes). Personally, I'm looking at the 944 turbos, perhaps we can arrange a quick lap around a track? Hehe, have fun (i wish i had an aero), Evan.

Last edited by saab9kturbo; 03-18-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
Murda C
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Murda C

Good to see other saab owners out there. I currently drive a 1994 9000 Aero. I love it. I have also seen the yankton tuned page. kevin did a great job on the 9000, but is now working on a 900.
I have performed a few mods to get out more power: apexi exaust system and hks upgrades on turbo components (including putting on the new ssqv by hks for the stock blow off valve).
Old 02-03-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
squekyj
AF Newbie

Unhappy just got a 92 9000 turbo

how was that that u can disable the tcs system because mine is bad and it has affected my braking system rendering the car undriveable and i really miss driving it
squekyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
gordon iow
AF Newbie

dead 9000

A friend has a 9000 he has had it for 5 weeks now 4 of them the it has been in the garage. It will tick over but that is it even if you operate the throttle by hand under the bonnet it will only tick over.They have changed the throttle body and the TCS control box still dead .Has anyone got any idea's?
gordon iow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 AM   #9
saab9kturbo
AF Newbie

Very common things include:

ECU failure
More TCS problems (it's ongoing in the TCS cars, you should avoid them)
Ignition Cassette (big red direct ignition box atop cylinder head, these go bad every 100k or so and can result in total failure)
Fuel pump???
Wire Loom (last resort)

You need to be more specific; like did the car run, why did it stop running, what YEAR is the car, is it a turbo or non turbo, any records on what was replaced, how many miles, 5 speed or automatic?

Past Cars: 1988 Porsche 944 S, 1990 and 1988 Saab 9000 Turbo's, 1980 Saab 99 GLi, 1991 Subaru Loyale Wagon

Born 11/8/85
Old 03-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
gordon iow
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Re: 9000 Aero 2.3 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab9kturbo
Very common things include:

ECU failure
More TCS problems (it's ongoing in the TCS cars, you should avoid them)
Ignition Cassette (big red direct ignition box atop cylinder head, these go bad every 100k or so and can result in total failure)
Fuel pump???
Wire Loom (last resort)

You need to be more specific; like did the car run, why did it stop running, what YEAR is the car, is it a turbo or non turbo, any records on what was replaced, how many miles, 5 speed or automatic?

Hi it is a 1993 turbo with TCS it was all OK when he got it well played with lot's of bolt on gear rose joint suspension not sure what has been done to the engine when running sounds solid .
But now it is a 50/50 thing you can go out and start it and all will be fine but if you stop it it may not be .It just ticks over and does nothing else turn it off and on it can be OK again no sense to it
Old 03-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #11
saab9kturbo
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 9000 Aero 2.3 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon iow
Hi it is a 1993 turbo with TCS it was all OK when he got it well played with lot's of bolt on gear rose joint suspension not sure what has been done to the engine when running sounds solid .
But now it is a 50/50 thing you can go out and start it and all will be fine but if you stop it it may not be .It just ticks over and does nothing else turn it off and on it can be OK again no sense to it
Check your positive battery cable--all leads, including the junction right next to the battery. Also check all the grounds.

Check the security system; do you have an owner's manual? There is a way to reset it. I doub this is a problem.

The direct ignition cassette--i dont remember how to test it, but take it off and see if there is cracking rubber/ damaged boots.

i don't have a clue what "rose joint suspension" is, and what bolt on gear means. what kind of "bolt on gear." saabs can be finicky.

When you say tick do you mean turn over? Like the engine just won't fire? Pull the DI cassette and check for spark.

How is vaccum? A horrible vac leak could cause problems, although I think it would start.

Mass air sensor--see if the airflow meter down by the intake is plugged in, and if so unplug it and see if it makes a difference.

Try to find the diagnotics codes...it should be and ODB I or 0 system, so you can probably read the error codes from the CEL. I'm not sure where to jump it in that car, though.

If you want my best guess---it is either still TCS or it is the Ignition unit. My car had an issue similar to this, but it was the positive battery cables. These are extremely important, one is routed to the computer, one to the starter, one to the "other stuff."

Good Luck, Evan

Oh yes, I would recommend stopping over at www.saabnet.com.
Lots of Saab techs can help you out over there, they know almost everything that could possibly go wrong.

Past Cars: 1988 Porsche 944 S, 1990 and 1988 Saab 9000 Turbo's, 1980 Saab 99 GLi, 1991 Subaru Loyale Wagon

Born 11/8/85
Old 03-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
gordon iow
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 9000 Aero 2.3 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab9kturbo
Check your positive battery cable--all leads, including the junction right next to the battery. Also check all the grounds.

Check the security system; do you have an owner's manual? There is a way to reset it. I doub this is a problem.

The direct ignition cassette--i dont remember how to test it, but take it off and see if there is cracking rubber/ damaged boots.

i don't have a clue what "rose joint suspension" is, and what bolt on gear means. what kind of "bolt on gear." saabs can be finicky.

When you say tick do you mean turn over? Like the engine just won't fire? Pull the DI cassette and check for spark.

How is vaccum? A horrible vac leak could cause problems, although I think it would start.

Mass air sensor--see if the airflow meter down by the intake is plugged in, and if so unplug it and see if it makes a difference.

Try to find the diagnotics codes...it should be and ODB I or 0 system, so you can probably read the error codes from the CEL. I'm not sure where to jump it in that car, though.

If you want my best guess---it is either still TCS or it is the Ignition unit. My car had an issue similar to this, but it was the positive battery cables. These are extremely important, one is routed to the computer, one to the starter, one to the "other stuff."

Good Luck, Evan

Oh yes, I would recommend stopping over at www.saabnet.com.
Lots of Saab techs can help you out over there, they know almost everything that could possibly go wrong.

Hi Evan
Thanks for the reply the car will be brought over to me next week as the garage he took it to has given up so I get lumbered with the job.
We do not have a Saab dealer over here makes the job that much harder. You have given me a few things to look at there are no air leaks or vacuum leaks what I mean by tick's is the engine tick's over at idle but will not pick up even with the get you home manual cable it has a mind of it's own the sort of job every one hates.I know the guy's at the garage changed the TCS sensor and the throttle unit as this did not sort it they put the old ones back on.
Rose joint suspension it has NO suspension bushes the person that had it before my mate spent rather a lot of money on it.I would think the engine must have a set of cams and hybrid turbo minimum but as I said the engine was running fine and still does occasionally when it feels like it.Would the TCS bypass mod get round a problem TCS system?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
squekyj
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 9000 Aero 2.3 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon iow
Hi Evan
Thanks for the reply the car will be brought over to me next week as the garage he took it to has given up so I get lumbered with the job.
We do not have a Saab dealer over here makes the job that much harder. You have given me a few things to look at there are no air leaks or vacuum leaks what I mean by tick's is the engine tick's over at idle but will not pick up even with the get you home manual cable it has a mind of it's own the sort of job every one hates.I know the guy's at the garage changed the TCS sensor and the throttle unit as this did not sort it they put the old ones back on.
Rose joint suspension it has NO suspension bushes the person that had it before my mate spent rather a lot of money on it.I would think the engine must have a set of cams and hybrid turbo minimum but as I said the engine was running fine and still does occasionally when it feels like it.Would the TCS bypass mod get round a problem TCS system?

im not sure but i dont think the tcs system has anything to do with the car running according to the mitchell cd manual to the 9000 it causes brake problems not running problems my tcs light has been on the last 20k miles and no trouble if you will send me your adress i can send u a set of copys of this manual its verry helpful my email is squekyj@comcast.net
squekyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:46 AM   #14
gordon iow
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Well I have now seen the car wish I had not TCS light is out there are no warning lights up but the car will not run when you can get it to tick over it is very lumpy.
It will not tick over for long and will not pick up in fact it makes no difference where the throttle is the engine runs the same lumpy and not for long seconds.Any one got any idea's
Old 04-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #15
nor*easter
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 9000 Aero 2.3 T

I'm regretably selling my 9000 AERO on Ebay right now if anyone is interested. '93 with 102k miles white with black leather. It's in great shape, runs extremely well and is by far the best car I've owned. One too many cars to keep . item number 4545354667 on ebay.
nor*easter is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9000