Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
markctr3
AF Newbie

TR3 questions

I just bought a 1960 TR3 a couple of months ago, and I'm in the process of fine-tuning the restoration. The body and frame are rock-solid, but the engine was buring about a quart of oil every 40 miles. I have the motor out of the car and down to the bare block, and I am in the process of rebuilding it.

Some of my questions are:

I can get 87mm liners and pistons from Moss for about $500. They are listed as "alternate" brand, which some have said are sub-par components. The Roadster Factory on the other hand sells the liners and pistons made by Mahle (Germany) for about $900. When we built engines at RENNtech, that's all we used. I think I want to spend the extra $400 for the Mahle, but I'm looking for the opinion of others that may have crossed this bridge.

What about Webers VS SUs? Part of me wants to keep it stock, but another side of me wants the performance.

Where do you buy the best interior kits (seats & trim panels)? Has anybody done this before?

Thanks for any advice you can give...I'm sure I'll be asking more questions down the road.
markctr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Adamsindrey
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Adamsindrey
Re: TR3 questions

to be honest your best off on a site like www.club.triumph.org.uk There a bit more specific than this site....
Adamsindrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Brummbaer
AF Newbie

Re: TR3 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by markctr3
I just bought a 1960 TR3 a couple of months ago, and I'm in the process of fine-tuning the restoration. The body and frame are rock-solid, but the engine was buring about a quart of oil every 40 miles. I have the motor out of the car and down to the bare block, and I am in the process of rebuilding it.

Some of my questions are:

I can get 87mm liners and pistons from Moss for about $500. They are listed as "alternate" brand, which some have said are sub-par components. The Roadster Factory on the other hand sells the liners and pistons made by Mahle (Germany) for about $900. When we built engines at RENNtech, that's all we used. I think I want to spend the extra $400 for the Mahle, but I'm looking for the opinion of others that may have crossed this bridge.

What about Webers VS SUs? Part of me wants to keep it stock, but another side of me wants the performance.

Where do you buy the best interior kits (seats & trim panels)? Has anybody done this before?

Thanks for any advice you can give...I'm sure I'll be asking more questions down the road.
By all means go with the Mahle liners and pistons. Personally, I would go with the SU's. If they are properly rebuilt and tuned they give really good performance and as you noted, are original. If money is an object most of the aftermarket interior kits are comparable so just go for the best price. The TR-3 interior really isn't that complicated and any competent upholstery shop should be able to do a much better job for not much more money. Good luck, and be sure and drive it after you get it restored. Trailer Queens are an abomination.

Brummbaer
Brummbaer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > General Discussion