Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 AM   #46
Km-t
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Km-t
I'm all for wearing a helmet. I know it's no guarantee but its better than nothing. I'm all for the preventative measures because they can make a difference. Football player wear mouth guards even though they may not ever be struck in the head (or at least they should - but then I'm also a sports medic so I may be a little biased). I'm from New Zealand, and it is law hear to wear a seatbelt. It sort of come down to that old saying
"Why cut off your nose to spite your face?"

Ultimately though it is the riders choice, law or no law.
I'll respect your decision, and you don't have to care what I may think, (but privately I will still think you're a bit dumb)

However protective gear is no substitute for common sense. A friend of mine lost a very close family friend over her own 3 months ago to a motorcycle accident. They were riding in a group - full marks for that safety method.

She was riding pillion and was new the motorcycling experience so how she went out was not nice. Her boyfriend was the driver and should have know way better. As I said they were riding in a group. I'm guessing they were near the back as before he took his turn others in his group passed a truck (sorry don't know how long but must have been long enough). However when his turn came the truck had begun turning and as you all (should??) know, no matter what type of vehicle you are in/on you should never pass a turning truck (or other long vehicle). He Did. He died and killed her as well. Wasn't nice for the emergency services on the scene as she was mostly decapitated. Very little tissue kept her head connected to her body. Most definitely not nice for the family member who had to formally identify her.

Moral of the story:
There is no substiture for common sense and defensive driving/riding!!

Happy Riding
Km-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:29 AM   #47
Aluli
AF Newbie

Re: Advice to new riders.

That's sad, km-t.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #48
chubster2003
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to chubster2003 Send a message via Yahoo to chubster2003

wow.. not cool..

2006 CBR 600rr
1996 VW Golf GTI (2.slow)
1978 Chevy C-10 (350ci)
chubster2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #49
Night Rider
AF Newbie

man that hit me hard... thats very sad...

anyways with your limits and everything .. they do it on the track all the time so i should try to right?....wrong... on the track you crash theres people there in 1-2 mins... on the street it could take 5 mins too 1 hour depending on where you are.. so yah common sense is a big thing... i only ride a dual sport xl 80... (only 15) and when im doin tricks on it i don't where a helment ... or if im fooling around .. but if i do any riden over say 5 mins i wear one.... I don't really care about my life that much... but i care about peoples feelings ... and i hate to see people/friends/family cry over me... or get hurt cuz of me....

just with that thing there... i see alot of girls on back of bikes with there boy friends ..with there whole back showing...(no armor, just a string) and i always think.. how that would hurt if they flipped it or something.... wouldn't be good..

well... wish you all the best and safe rides...
Night Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #50
diesel1962
AF Regular

Hello.Havent been on a bike in 20 years.Just bought a Honda 450 Nighthawk last July.Did some work to it,And did not have much riding time last year,Cause it gets cold quick in Michigan.Plan riding the bike to work and back this summer,Also do some weekend travel with it.I do not ride fast,Nor do I take chances.And ALWAYS on the look out for other vehicles.I do not even like riding in the dark. Also I beleve in leathers and helmets.I have no windshield,Nor do I plan on installing one on my bike.Just be careful and be aware of your sorroundings. Diesel 1962
diesel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #51
Cessna310
AF Newbie

I was wondering if a Ninja 250R would be a good bike to start with my friends say its a little step up from a scooter! and i should get a 600 First bike for me could you give me advice i road dirt bikes growing up but thats all ive got what do you thnk please help
Cessna310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #52
3000gtdj
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Advice to new riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna310
I was wondering if a Ninja 250R would be a good bike to start with my friends say its a little step up from a scooter! and i should get a 600 First bike for me could you give me advice i road dirt bikes growing up but thats all ive got what do you thnk please help

Hell no a 600 is to fast. Kawasaki makes a ninja500 that I hear is good to start. On Suzuki has the sv650 and a gf500. There are plenty of good starter bikes but I dont think any of them are a 600
3000gtdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #53
tractorboy
AF Regular

I use to have motorcycles, Triumphs, BSA, Ducati, Honda, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi. That was a while ago. I enjoyed them then. Do not ever plan to get one again. I cringe though when I see ppl go by on a motocycle with shorts and soft shoes like loafers. The second worst is wearing a back pack. I hope it never happens to you. In the event that you find you are rolling a long the ground, which can happen and like i said before , i hope it does not happen to you. A back will snap your neck for sure.
tractorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #54
Abe12
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xv7vX
If your dad has been riding that long has not laid it down thats great. I'm not being sarcastic, thats great. You too. I pray you both never go down. I have never laid down either. But i have been hit on a clam day by a driver that was not paying attention, and it nearly killed me. If a cars has a fenderbender that ruins your day. If a motorcycle has a fenderbenders it destroys your life.

I have to say im a little suprised to see a firefighter say not to wear helmets, and while I agree that they are not guarantee that you will live through an accident, they are most certinly a guarantee of rasing your chances of surviving, compared to no head protection at all. As im sure you allready know that brain can have severe damage and be destroyed at an impact as little as 1/2 mile per hour. I do agree in personal freedom and individual choices, and if you are THAT against helmets that you chose not to wear them, that that is your personal choice. Live and let live. But i would encourage all motorcyclist to wear all available protection at all times. We loose to many brothers the way it is.
As for scaring new riders, well if it scares them then fine. I believe it to be the truth, and i think everyone should consider it. Everytime you go out you might not come back. I think i large part of RESPONSIBLE riding is being able to acknowlege this. I dont think that new riders should twist the throttle with out thinking about ALL the POSSBILE risks associated with the sport we all love so much. Further i believe that if a new rider knows this, acknowleges this and still choses to ride he or she will be a better rider for it.

At anyrate, i hope we all stay safe, and wish the best for all motorcyclist.

As a last note, any new riders, or anyone for that matter should feel free to PM me with any questions, no matter how insignificant. I would like to be able to help anyone and everyone ride safer and better. (though i am by no means a professor of motorcyles, but i have plenty of experience.)
I read a couple of your posts. I think you are right on the money. I'm a new rider (3 years) and the thought of running into a car realy freaks me out.
Especialy after what hapened to Ben Rothlessberger.

Abe12
Abe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #55
RM|ZX:Dudz
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to RM|ZX:Dudz
Cool Re: Advice to new riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe12
I read a couple of your posts. I think you are right on the money. I'm a new rider (3 years) and the thought of running into a car realy freaks me out.
Especialy after what hapened to Ben Rothlessberger.

Abe12
I just got my first bike bout month ago... Kawasaki ZZR250... should i get fully comp. insurance? PM me if u can help me out
Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #56
Blazr2
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Blazr2

Couldn't agree more with the 1st post. The one of listed things a new rider should do. Good advice! I've been riding for over 30 years and never been down. I remember the spills I took as a young child on a bicycle and still haven't forgot how bad the road can be! I wear good protective gear.
Its better to spend $500 or more on a good jacket and helmet then to spend $5000 or more for surgery and skin grafts!
Blazr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #57
Torch
AF Regular

I agree Blazr2 buy the gear it may save your life, I went down in August wearing a full face helmet and full leathers and hit the asphalt doing 50mph, I walked away with a bloody nose and (in hind sight) minor road rash on both arms. I could have chosen to go to the hospital when the ambulance showed up but didn't, as it was all I ended up needing was large band aids and three weeks of time and my skin healed up.

I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had been wearing jeans and a t-shirt, I got back on and 78 miles later I was back home and parked it for three weeks until my arms healed up, had it not been for my gear I would probably still be in the hospital.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #58
t_arnold
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89IROC&RS
ok not to be a guy or anything, but do i even need to make a joke about the last two sentences in girli97qt's post??????

but seriously. im a car guy, new to cycles, i repect the views of older, and more experienced riders. however i think that to approach the sport from the point of view that its all buisness and no fun, its not right. also coming from a harly family background, the view on helmets is slightly different. on a sport bike, at speed, in traffic, yes, i totally and completey support the use of full coverage helmets. however they are not always needed, and can in fact, cause fatal injuries, do to skull bounce. laying down a bike, or worse, falling backwards off one, if you hit on the flesh, you get road rash, hit with a helmet, and it can bounce back hard enough to break your neck. i have known three people this has happend to. i do not mean to counter anyone on here, seeing as i do not even own a motorcycle at this point, however i thought it was a point someone should bring up. remember guys, as serious a deal as this sport can be, i think its safe to say that eveyone does it becaue its fun, and you enjoy it. try also to pass that part along to those prepairing to join ya on the road.
(1) "Coming from a Harley background, the view on helmets is slightly different. on a sport bike, at speed, in traffic, yes, i totally and completey support the use of full coverage helmets." Explain to me why riding a sportbike in traffic is different than riding a Harley in traffic? I have heard this argument many times. "Riding a sport bike you need a full coverage helmet, on a cruiser, you don't" I have been riding for 22 years, cruisers, sport bikes, and a goldwing. I use my full face helmet 90% of the time. The other 10% I use my Modular. Mainly for charity rides and group rides, because it makes communications easier when you are riding in formation because you can flip the chin bar up to talk.
(2)"however they are not always needed, and can in fact, cause fatal injuries, do to skull bounce. laying down a bike, or worse, falling backwards off one, if you hit on the flesh, you get road rash, hit with a helmet, and it can bounce back hard enough to break your neck. i have known three people this has happend to." If you are wearing a turtle shell, as some cruiser riders do, when you hit on the back of the head, the helmet can slide up enough to crack your skull. I have seen this happen a couple of times. At least with a full face, you have more protection from front, side & rear impact than with a turtle shell, or no helmet. I also know that when wearing a backpack, there is more risk of a broken neck because the backpack will hit before your head. You run more of a risk of Fatal injuries with a turtle shell or no helmet than you do with a full face helmet. A helmet is always needed, You never know when something will happen. You can run to the corner store for a pack of smokes, and get hit from the rear waiting to pull into your driveway, this happened to a neighbor. He wasn't wearing his helmet, he got rolled up over the hood. got a concussion from hitting the windshield with the back of his head as well as needing stitches. I'm not saying a helmet would have helped the concussion, but it would have helped with not needing stitches. Anothe freind of mine, who usually rides with a turtle shell, wore his full face one morning because it was cold & rainy. He got hit by a car and went down on his right side, He came out of it pretty well. Twisted ankle, bruises, Scuffed leathers, and a big scrape up the right side of the helmet and face shield. If he had been wearing his turtle shell, it would have been his face that got ground up. He was lucky. Sorry to be long winded. I just had to make a couple of comments.

Last edited by t_arnold; 10-21-2008 at 09:22 AM.
t_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #59
craig p
AF Newbie

one piece of advice for you listen dont talk you mite just survive this chapter i got no room for know it all already additudes from a 21 year old that is arrogant enouch to make the statment you just made just saying
craig p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:54 AM   #60
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

My god I have been riding bikes since 1973, my advice get all the protective gear you can. No matter how good a rider you are it's the other idiot who is going to beat you up unless you get over confident on a bend. If it'sok for the pro's it good enough for me.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote