Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
tracy dotson
AF Newbie

turbo non turbo 97 eclipse rs

I just turboed my eclipse rs and it cuts out after 4 grand... Dont know what to use for fuel management also and i dont know how to tune the brain what should i use? Got alot of different stories and dont know what to do???
tracy dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: turbo non turbo 97 eclipse rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy dotson View Post
I just turboed my eclipse rs and it cuts out after 4 grand... Dont know what to use for fuel management also and i dont know how to tune the brain what should i use? Got alot of different stories and dont know what to do???
Welcome to AF!
We're going to need some more info before we can really help you with the problem. Can you post your current setup for us?

I would assume since you're not sure about fuel management, that you're getting fuel cut. Do you not have anything at all? You need at least a FMU or SFMU which will automatically add fuel based on boost pressure. You will also need a 255lph fuel pump to be able to deliver that fuel quick enough.

There's no way to tune the "brain" or ECU on the 420a motor without a piggyback or standalone unit. MegaSquirt is the most used on these motors, decently cheap, and has a lot of information out there on it.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
tracy dotson
AF Newbie

Hi thanks for replying... I do have a upgraded fuel pump and i put a fmu but it seemed to run worse cutting out more and started to leak fuel so i took it off but do i need to put it back on? And also i heard about the megasquirt theres a couple different ones like do i need the 1st one 2nd one whole kit? Im confused i just dont wanna blow the car up so will the megasquirt be my fix for the brain. I also have upgraded fuel injectors i havent put on yet do i need those.. ive been driving the car without a piggyback or anything hoping it wont blow!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
tracy dotson
AF Newbie

This is my set up: t3t4 jdm sport turbo, 2 3/4 quarter inch greddy turbo back exhaust, external tile wastegate, godspeed top mount turbo manifold, greddy type s blow off valve, big front mount inter cooler, 420 a engine. If i run fmu do i need a fuel cut off switch and where can i buy a fuel cut off switch? If i run fmu do i need megasquirt or is fmu good enough? Can i put upgraded fuel injectors on with the fmu , do i need low resistor box? Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

STOP DRIVING THE CAR!
If you want it to last, don't drive it at all until it's fixed. Right now, with nothing raising fuel pressure to compensate for the boost, you're running lean, hitting fuel cut, and cutting down the life of your motor.

So you know you need a FMU and have one, and continued to leave it off? As the turbo builds boost, it the motor needs more fuel. The FMU (usually a 12:1 disc) will raise the fuel pressure 12psi per 1lb of boost. It's not the best way to go about it, but it works. I ran that setup for about a year. Lots of other people do as well.

If you upgrade the injectors, you're going to need MegaSquirt. Stock FIs will handle up to about 10lbs of boost. Stock motor will handle about 8-10 no problem.

Open the FMU up and make sure the diaphram is not ripped or broken. Also make sure you got a 12:1 disc in there. If it's ok, reinstall it. Fuel lines need to be done right or they will leak. Use all new hoses and clamp them down.

Lastly, you will need what's called a Missing Link. Google it for your car. It's an adapter so that the MAP sensor doesn't see the boost, that may be causing some issues. All 96-99 420a's need that.

75 Monte Carlo

Old 11-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
tracy dotson
AF Newbie

You ran the fmu for a year ? With or without missing link? Thanks for your replys trying to figure this out is a headache... Have you ever heard of adobe? Its a home made FCD?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

I had a 95, and those years don't need a missing link or any FCD. However you will need one of those.

My 1st setup was:
12:1 FMU, 255lph FP, Garrett T3, 1G BOV, Tial 38mm 8lb WG... and then the usual FMIC, pipes blah blah.
It's a pretty standard setup and works fine. I did a full build after that then.

75 Monte Carlo

Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Deffinately get some kind of fuel system on there. A wideband o2 would also be a good investment.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
tracy dotson
AF Newbie

Ok so put the fmu on and a fcd fuel cut defender... On my way driving home im not only dumping massive fuel but when i go past 4 grand the car starts putting and jerking my head back and forth cutting out... I had to pull over and disconnect the fmu so i could make it home...Im so confused with this damn car
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? How do you have the FMU hooked up
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
tracy dotson
AF Newbie

Bottom port to the fuel pump and side port to the fuel rail
Old 12-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
jcp1286
AF Newbie

Just want to jump in, Ive got a 96 boosted 420 ive been driving for over a year now, stock map sensor, no fcd, obx weapon r intake, 62 mm modern performance throttle body, venom fuel rail, stock injectors, ebay adjustable fuel regulator and pressure gauge im not sure on the ratio, but its at 43 psi and that just keeps it at a nice idle. i can usually get about 4-7 psi of boost, but a few days ago i purchased a missing link hoping i could get a pound or two more of boost. Ive read all about what the missing link does so i spent the $60 and got one. Easy as pie to put on, but after i put it on and started my car it what a little harder to start. when i start down the road it started to sputter in and out ( yes i unplugged the battery to reset the ECU ) and had 0 boost and just ran like crap! So i took it off and reset the ecu again. Started right up, but now it has a motor tick. How could the missing link cause my motor to start tick. I never had this problem the entire time ive owned this car and have been working on it. and it happen to start as soon as that missing link was put on. not even 10 miles put on it.
jcp1286 is offline   Reply With Quote