Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

Question 1994 oldsmobile cutlass suprme sedan

ive got a 1994 cutlass suprme i just got the car so i dont know much about it but i noticed the low coolant light came on and it was low on coolant so i added some and then after a while it came on again so i added some then i changed the oil and i noticed white mily looking stuff in the oil and it was in the oil filler cap and you could see it down around the rockers wondering what my problem could be and what i need to fix it thanks
mike_24_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
Manny_boy
AF Regular

Re: 1994 oldsmobile cutlass suprme sedan

oil that looks like a milkshake is usually an indicator of a blown head gasket.

However, you could also have a cracked intake manifold gasket, and depending on how bad the intake gasket was damaged, it could give the same results.

when you fill the coolant reservoir, and the car is running, do you get constant bubbles in the reservoir? (pressure from a blown head gasket).
Manny_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

well i was told them 3.1 motors are bad about the intake gasket but i dont no much about that because i have never messed with a head gasket or intake gasket is there anyways checking either one before i start tearing the motor down i tryed a compresion check but it didnt work very well at all but if you can help me out i would really like that and if you have done it how big of a job is it to do
Old 03-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Manny_boy
AF Regular

It is not an extremely difficult job, just time consuming... I've done a 3.4 intake manifold job, which in my opinion (plenty will disagree) is a little easier than a 3.1 manifold. there are just more steps involved with the 3.1 intake.(I haven't had to change the intake gasket on my 3.1 (yet)) If you haven't already, invest in a haynes or chilton manual, whip out your sockets and your gasket remover, and prepare to do battle...

oh, as far as how to tell before you break down the engine... are you having any drivability problems? Surging idle, stalling... try this, take propane torch (DONT LIGHT IT) but open the valve and let the spray the propane around your intake manifold with the engine running. If the idle drops or the car stalls, there is your intake leak. That trick also works with intake cleaner.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

ok i got the intake off and the gasket had a broken spot in it where the water goes threw the intake i have a question how do i get all the white slim out of my motor now i plan on a oil change and coolant change but im sure there will still be slim down in the oil pan and way of getting that out or will it hurt anything the valve pan covers and the intake was covered in the white slim i used kerosine to clean them with that wont hurt them will it i hope not and how is the easiest way of removing the old gasket its stuck on in places but it wasnt that hard to remove the intake it took like 2 hours another ? is i have to remove the valves to put on the new gasket is there a certain way you do that ive never done it before im almost sure it isnt the head gasket if it is im selling the car lol well if you can help please do so because i need it thanks a lot mike
Old 03-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Manny_boy
AF Regular

Yes you may have to remove your pushrods to put your new gasket on. Just loosen the rocker arm nuts/bolts and pivot your rocker arms out of the way. If you do remove your pushrods, push them into some holes in a cardboard box so that you can replace them EXACTLY in the same position that you got them from. To remove old traces of gasket, you may have to get some spray on gasket remover, let it sit 5 min. then get at it with your scraper. (be careful, remember our engines are aluminum, you don't want to scrape too hard and scar the mating surface). After you get all the old gasket off, clean the mating surface with intake cleaner or lacquer thinner. your gasket kit may have come with end seals. if it did not, remember to run a line of RTV sealant on the front and rear ridges of the engine block between the heads (before you install the intake gasket.)

When you re-install your lower manifold, coat your bolts with pipe thread sealant. when you install the lower manifold, tighten the vertical bolts first, then the angle bolts- it will keep the manifold from wiggling around on the gasket.

After you get everything back together and all snug, i would buy some GM top engine cleaner (liquid)(dealer only( part# 1050002) or some seafoam from your local parts retailer. I know this is to clean the carbon and sludge from your intake and your cylinders, but guess where the remainder of the solution ends up? Yep, in your oil. That should clean up any residue you had from the milkshake effect.

To use the GM engine cleaner, just disconnect your favorite vacuum hose leading to the intake (some people just use their brake booster hose) and put it down in the bottle of liquid while the car is running. (don't let the vacuum suck the liquid too fast, you don't want to risk problems. you may have to keep your hand on the throttle to keep it running. when the can is empty, let your car stall or just cut it off.

Let your car sit about 2 hours, to give the cleaner time to really work. Start your car, let it run for about 20 mins (there will be PLENTY of white smoke, your car is burning off the cleaner and the carbon).

Then change your oil.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

thank you very much you have helped me out a lot ive got another ? when i loosen the rocker arms how do i know how tight to tighten them and another ? is did i mess up here i took a wire brush on my drill and cleaned the old gasket off of the intake it doesnt look like it hurt it any and im not sure if i know what you meant on that cleaner can i just add it threw the oil filler or does it have to go threw the hose i know the intake and valve covers were coverd really bad in that white stuff will that cleaner like clean out my oil pan so i should just get some cheap oil to do this with right i always use valvoline but it cost a lot to just use a few min and dump it lol i plan on flushing the coolant also anything i should use to do that with because there was oil in my coolant also well thanks a lot for the help you have been a life saver
Old 03-16-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
Manny_boy
AF Regular

Ok, you're going to need to buy, borrow, or rent a torque wrench. For 3.1 engines 1995 and earlier, rocker arm nuts should be torqued to 18 ft-lbs.

The wire brush probably did less damage than I do on a regular basis with a gasket scraper so you should be okay. If you've already drained your oil, (which I suspect you have) then I would just use the walmart brand while you do the GM engine cleaner thing.

and no, don't add the cleaner to your oil, just let a vacuum hose, suck it into the intake. Plenty will get in your oil. Getting into your oil and cleaning up the gook is just a fringe benefit. What the cleaner actually does is it cleans up your entire intake path (manifold, injectors, & valves)... I think you'll be happy with the throtle crispness, once you're done with the engine cleaner. Oh and for your coolant system, just get some Prestone radiator flush, and follow what the bottle says. If your system is really gooped up, Prestone also has a Super flush for a little extra

no sweat...
Old 03-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

hi i dont really know what that sea foam is your talking about will autozone carry anything i can flush it out with because that is where i deal with my parts is gonna be 80$ thats oil filter antifrezze and the valve cover gaskets and intake gaskets so thats not bad at all i think autozone may rent them wreches i need to buy one but on a tight budget right now girlfriend that should say it all lol so what kind of cars do you have i have this 94 cutlass i only gave 30 $ for it but hey its in good shape the rear brakes are messed up i cant figrue out how you tighten the rear caliber it has rear disk brakes on it i had to put new calibers on it but i cant get one bolt tighten it has a 10 mm head and i cant get a socket back in the caliber hole got and ideas thanks mike
Old 03-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
Manny_boy
AF Regular

I usually find the Seafoam at Murray's, I don't think autozone carries it. But you will actually pay the same price ($3.00 - $4.00) if you visit your local gm dealer and ask for GM Top engine cleaner (liquid) - they both work the same.

Your rear calipers may have been updated to the 1996 calipers by the previous owner. The orginal calipers are secured by a 18mm bolt, that you have to use a box wrench to tighten. How do you change your pads? If your calipers flip up on one end, you have the updated 96 calipers. If your caliper comes off as one assembly you have the originals.

I have a '92 Chevy Euro (3.4L), a '93 Cutlass Supreme (3.1L), & a '85 Lincoln Town Car Signature series. (my crusier)

Man! $30 bucks is a steal! I wish I had been so lucky.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

yes sir mine flips up but where it flips up there is a 10 mm bolt it takes a socket to tighten it the bolt goes back iside of the caliber such as it does if it was a alan head bolt and i dont know how to get a socket back in there and now my brakes are messed up i need big help on the brake part lol ive tryed everything this intake job has been much easier than the brake job has lol so if you can help i would really like that thanks a lot i dont think there is any place called murray here where i live i live in ohio right down on the ohio river near athens ohio if you know where that is you have been a lot of help to me if i can ever re pay you i will do they make a clean i can put in my oil to get the junk out of my oil pan i hope so thanks a lot your friend mike
Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
Manny_boy
AF Regular

I live in northwest Indiana now... I've been through Ohio a few times but I don't know much about Ohio. If you don't have a Murrays Discount Auto parts, try Napa Auto Parts, or Advance (even though I think Advance is Autozone also).
Old 03-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

hi well we have autozone and a advance auto both here seprate stores autozone carries seafoam its like 4$ a can i still have to rid up the money to get all my parts times are tough right now and now that bush is back in office there just gonna get tougher that dirty sob i hate him but anyways can you help me out on the brakes
Old 03-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Manny_boy
AF Regular

Ok - I haven't had the chance to work on post '96 rear brakes, but I looked up some info for you. It's a little vague, but it seems to go along with the W-body style rear brakes. The picture I have in the haynes manual shows two small box wrenches (the look like somewhere in the range of 10 - 12mm) one holding the sliding bolt and the other unbolting the caliper from the back. Just like the pre '96 brakes, there is no room for a socket, just a box wrench. I know your transverse rear spring is in the way of getting a socket back there. I think two boxes wrenches may be your problem solver.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #15
mike_24_oh
AF Newbie

well there is nothing in the way on the brakes its just no way into there to tighten

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series