Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
welshtroedyrhiw
AF Newbie

Unhappy 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

Motor starts with no problems...After 15-20 mins,if I happen to come to a stop-sign coming off a freeway..it stalls at the stop sign. ..It will start everytime time in park and/or neutral,but stalls immediately when placed in Drive or 2 or 1....If I leave it for 10-15mins,I can start it up and drive away ....Then it does it again at the very next stop-sign
I can drive around town(it seems) with no problem.
This transmission has a lock up torque converter apparently.(BH-C)

Someone on another forum mentioned that they solved their problem by disconnecting the solenoid wire...although his mileage suffered a little.
Does anyone know how this is done...and which wire it is

I have changed the pan oil and filter/strainer and gasket
The original oil was quite clean and showed no signs of metal shavings or clutch pad bits.(the lock-up clutch..that is)

Thanks
welshtroedyrhiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
bustedratchet
AF Regular

Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

Look under the hood on the front of the transmission.Towards the radiator.
bustedratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
welshtroedyrhiw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedratchet
Look under the hood on the front of the transmission.Towards the radiator.
Thanks for the post and the quick response...Can you be a little more specific.
Is it in a harness with others..If so, any idea what colour wire it is.
I cannot afford to disconnect the wire if it GOING to the control computer..If it is the coming FROM the control computer(to solenoid),I then have a chance to slip in a toggle switch for manual use (freeway travel)on the dashboard or steering column??
Apparently the Computer looks for three imputs before sending in a signal to lock the converter...correct engine temp,speed sensor(approx 35mph and reasonably constant) and if the transmission is in Drive(3rd)
If I accidently disconnect the wrong wire I do not know how the computer will react as I assume those three inputs are possibly used for other "calculations"

Thanks again
Old 11-07-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

There is a connector on the front of the transmission. You can unplug the connector to prevent the TCC from being applied.
The problem is that when the soleniod gets hot, it sticks in the apply position...thats why you get the chugging and stall.
If you install a toggle switch, the same thing will happen if the solenoid gets hot...even though there is no current to apply the solenoid, it will stay in the apply position.
Since there are only pressure switches in the trans that control the solenoid, if you diconnect the connector you should have normal shifting, just no TCC apply. Don't hold me to this, I don't have the schematic in front of me....disconnect the trans connector and see how it reacts.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:48 PM   #5
welshtroedyrhiw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMerlin
There is a connector on the front of the transmission. You can unplug the connector to prevent the TCC from being applied.
The problem is that when the soleniod gets hot, it sticks in the apply position...thats why you get the chugging and stall.
If you install a toggle switch, the same thing will happen if the solenoid gets hot...even though there is no current to apply the solenoid, it will stay in the apply position.
Since there are only pressure switches in the trans that control the solenoid, if you diconnect the connector you should have normal shifting, just no TCC apply. Don't hold me to this, I don't have the schematic in front of me....disconnect the trans connector and see how it reacts.
Thanks for the reply
I will have a look at it tomorrow as we in Ontario Canada(tonight) are just getting our FIRST snow of the season
I recognised a small harness going into the trans(upper RH side)...Does it just carry the solenoid energiser wire and/or a ground...Do I have to take the pan off to disconnect properly...Are you saying that the solenoid is normally closed..that is the locking clutch plate always engaged??

If these questions appear dumb...its the snow

Thanks again

WelshBrit in Canada
Old 11-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

It should unplug from the outside..the retainer might be on the bottom of the connector..small screwdriver should pry it away enough to release.
GM WCT

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
Old 11-08-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
welshtroedyrhiw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

Quote:
It should unplug from the outside..the retainer might be on the bottom of the connector..small screwdriver should pry it away enough to release.
Well,I got underneath this morning after clearing the snow away and all I could see above the pan was one connector..It bothered me a bit as it was about 5 ins above the bottom of the pan..Disconnected it and drove car...It was the speedsensor and not the TCC solenoid that I disconnected Purple and yellow wires(2)

The Haynes GM Auto Transmission book and the general book on the Calais etc really are the pits
The Electrical layout in Haynes calls for "purple and tan" wires ?
Bustedratchet's reply mentioned something about being near the front of the transmission near the radiator..Any thoughts on this.

The ID on the transmission plate is BHC...The "C" according to Haynes indicates that it has clutch for lock-up .

Thanks
Old 11-08-2003, 04:46 PM   #8
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

You should see the connector from the top of the engine compartment.
Looking at the trans from the front of the car, the connector and wires will be facing towards the radiator.
No-one ever said anything about being near the pan
GM WCT

PM Me for details
Old 11-08-2003, 06:19 PM   #9
welshtroedyrhiw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

Quote:
You should see the connector from the top of the engine compartment.
Looking at the trans from the front of the car, the connector and wires will be facing towards the radiator.
No-one ever said anything about being near the pan

My thanks to you and Bustedratchet...It was right where you indicated
Sometimes I cannot see the wood for the trees ..Its got to be age and I am not talking about the car
Drove for 45 mins,braking and accelerating and everything seems great.

The car dealership( ) dropped the price from $1550 to $490 because of the problem,thinking it was a full Tranny job..The ext/interior is in excellent condition

Again... thanks
Old 11-23-2003, 08:06 PM   #10
NitroChair
AF Newbie

Lightbulb had same problem

We also have a Cutlass Calais, an 89 that developed a stalling/chugging problem upon slowing or stopping only when the car gets warmed up. After much research and discussion I discovered that the transmission has a lockup solenoid problem that will cause the problem and stall the car. When I went to purchase the parts the solenoid cost me 25.00 at Autozone, its a direct Dana part and the transfer case cover gasket from the dealer was 18.00 then I also serviced the transmission to start a new with filter and gasket. All told I had lewss than 100.00 invested and the repai took less that three hours to do, saving hundreds of dollars. Please look into this as your problem, I bet this is your problem.
NitroChair is offline   Reply With Quote