Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:05 AM   #1
schmitey
AF Newbie

Underdrive pulley vs Stock pulley

Obviously lighter is better, I won't argue there. But is underdrive always best? I have a 96 Accord EX 2.2 VTEC

Somewhere I read that this car can have serious problems using massive underdrive pulleys because it screws with the alternator. Everything to dimmed headlights, quieter radios, and shorted out ECU's. Anyone experience this firsthand or is it all hype?

Also what's up with aftermarket pulleys on the power steering and alternator themselves. I think AEM makes a kit, but I can't imagine huge power gains over those small and light stock pulleys to warrant the cost ($150+ I believe).

Please let me know of some good brands that I should check out, right now I'm looking at just getting a lighter crank pulley. Also let me know if you think it helped your gas mileage and power any. I'm looking for mods that help power a little but improve my gas mileage as well.

Thanx in advance.
schmitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
carbonaccord69
AF Newbie

Re: Underdrive pulley vs Stock pulley

Sorry for the late reply, I just joined the forum a week ago. The underdrive pulleys do work OK, for about 4-6 horses or so. I have the AEM Power Pulleys and a pulley made by Arospeed. Istallation for the power steering and alternator pulleys are pretty straight forward, but it's a little cramped in the engine compartment. As for the crank pulley, it's not worth it. Bearly a few horses and not worth the time or money. Unorthodox also makes a full kit with all 3, but at $300, a little spendy.

When it comes to the actual "underdrive" of alternator, there is noticable dimming of the headlights when the rpm's go below 1200 or so on my 5-speed. Not sure on the automatics. There is no quieter stereos or shorted ecu's, though. Power steering is not affected at all, and when the AC is on, there seems like there is less of a draw on the engine. I think there is also better mpg also, but I drive hard sometimes, so I can't really tell.

Bottom line: I put some 20+ pound 17 in. wheels on my car, and it got slower. Put the pulleys on and the car got back to the way it was before the heavy wheels. Hope this helps you in your quest to make your Accord faster!
carbonaccord69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:23 AM   #3
schmitey
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply...better late than never.

Yeah I'm putting the pulley thing on hold, no money and bigger fish to fry. Dude my buddy just talked me into hacking my airbox with a sawzaw and his dremil tool. Talk about instant cheap horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And holy crap the thing sounds better than his $300 Stillen intake on his Maxima, another friend with a 3000GT is jealous. It just purrs (sp?) when the vtec kicks in.

We also unhooked the resonator and gay little muffler thing and plugged them with spray can lids...it looks cheap as hell but all said and done I bet I got 15 some hp gain.

I should also add the the actual airscoop is gone...well sorta. Its completely hacked open and turned into a ghetto ram air.

Screw the K&N typhoon. I guarantee mine does just as much gain and sounds just as good if not better. K&N typhoon-$300; Sounding good and getting free horsepower-priceless.

Dude it makes heads turn that's all I gotta say!
schmitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Underdrive pulleys can be dangerous as well, I believe they eliminate the harmonic balancer. Some say this isn't necessary and will swear that underdrive pulleys are safe, others are more wary of them. If you are considering it though, I would at least research it a bit and formulate your own opinion.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
phoenixitc
AF Enthusiast

I have been considering AEM's pulleys. I have been told by several forum readers that they do work, some say they don't. My concern is the charging of the battery at idle or in heavy bump-n-go traffic. I had a modified Firebird Formula 350 with pulleys. The battery would not charge at idle or heavy traffic. There were times when I would see the altmeter gauge get very low. I don't know if this problem applies to Hondas but the dimming of lights would point to this problem. The pulleys might also impact your AC at idle.
phoenixitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
bensaccord
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bensaccord
I have had a set of Unorthodox pulleys on my car for about 8 months and I havn't had a single problem with them. Lights don't dim at low RPM, vehicle charges up fine. I go to the drive in about 2-3 times a month and the car charges up at idle NP. Havn't had anything negative happen because of the pulleys at all.

-DC Headers
-AEM CAI -MSD 6AL w/ Blaster 2
-Unorthodox Underdrive Pulleys -NX Kit (50 shot)
-Accell Plug Wires & Denzo Iridium Plugs -#1 Tanabe Exhaust

1/8: 9.998

1/4: ????
bensaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
F23A4Racer750IL
AF Enthusiast

get the unorthodox racing pulleys that dont fuck around with ur alternator and u should be fine.
F23A4Racer750IL is offline   Reply With Quote