Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
nieve
AF Newbie

Question 2006 Altima 2.5 Special Edition-Starting Problem

The car started to have intermittent starting problems. It would turn over fine but it would take a couple of cranks to get it to start. We then checked the battery and it was down a little so we replaced it. The car seem to start fine but the same problem has occurred. It turns over fine but struggles to start.

I see that there are some recalls that I'm going to call on but I don't think this has to do with the car starting. I have Google the problem with many people doing the same thing as me as far as replacing the battery but still having the problem.

Have any others had this problem and if so have they found the answer?
nieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
josephk300
AF Newbie

Re: 2006 Altima 2.5 Special Edition-Starting Problem

My '06 2.5SE is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what the problem was? It would be great to hear from you.
josephk300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
nieve
AF Newbie

I have not yet found out what the problem is but I highly suspect the fuel pump. Some people say to turn the key so all the electronics turn on but not the car for a second or two to allow the fuel system to pressurize. This seems to work most the time which make me think it is the fuel pump even more.

What have you tried on your car?
nieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

A cold hard start could be a bad, or dirty MAF sensor.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
josephk300
AF Newbie

My "06 is still within the 60 day warranty from the used car dealer. I'm going to have them address the problem. I will have them check the positioning sensors to see they are the (inferior) plastic jacket vs the metal jacket that I've been reading is the better design, and then see if they'll replace them. I don't believe the fuel pump itself is the issue. I just came back from a 3500 mile trip and if the fuel pump were funky, I'm sure I would have known about it. It could be however, something in the relief venting or gas fume recirculation system. I notice that when gassing up the car, it seems as though a bubble develops that doesn't let the tank fill completely. If I pump, then wait a minute, and pump some more (come on guys - mind out of the gutter on this one ), I can get 2-3 more gallons into the tank.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

You might cause your EVAP togo bad, the charcoal filter might get saturated with fuel.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
adamc.3
AF Newbie

I also drive a 2006 Altima S, Special Edition and have had the exact same issues. I have already been using the aux mode (turning the key half way) to pressurize the tank and that seems to have solved it for now but I would still like to fix the problem.

Did you ever hear anything from the dealer when you took it in? I am out of warranty and have about 92000 miles on the car.

My car doesn't always have the issue when its hot or cold in particular but I think its more frequent when hot. When it does hesitate, it only struggles and will eventually start but it seems really rough and can't be good for the motor. My battery checks out ok. I just replaced spark plugs. Starter sounds fine. I've also experienced the partial filled tank but I've never had a problem and it's done that for 4 years.

Thanks
adamc.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
josephk300
AF Newbie

Nieve - never got satisfaction from the dealer. Their best answer seems to be "live with it". I replaced both the crank and cam positioning sensors, and no difference. I also replaced plugs and plug wires as part of the 100,000 mile service - no difference. Car is at 120,000 now. I am back to thinking it could be the fuel pressure relief valve which is part of the fuel pump, which would mean getting a new fuel pump, but the engine runs perfectly fine other than the occasional hard start. Not worth the big bucks for a new pump. I was also thinking of cleaning the throttle body, but it sounds like a real PITA because of disturbing the calibration settings. Plenty of caution on the boards about this. Would love to know what causes the occasional hard start, but might have to let this sleeping dog lie..
Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
josephk300
AF Newbie

Sorry, the above reply is to adamc.3.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Ceelos21
AF Newbie

I have a 2006 altima which gave me starting problems after the first road trip we took it on turns out it was the cam shaft positioning sensor a $30 fix. Starts up every time now and easy to change I believe youtube has a 2 minute video on where it is located and how to change it
Ceelos21 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima