Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
bighank
AF Newbie

Question How do I remove Ignition Switch PLUG from connedtor 2002 Buick Regal

Followed the instructions on Ignition Switch Replace on this forum. Have removed ignition switch and the 2 small plugs at the top of the steering column.Used a 7mm socket on the plug under the dash and turned it counter clockwise until I hear it click meaning it is out of the threads on the under dash.. The guide says to pry the center of the plug case while sliding it forward. It is sandwiched between 2 thin plugs which are for the multifunction switch. Guide says to slide it forward but I am not sure what that means. I have used a screwdriver and tried to pry it out of the connector but it does not want to move. I see the other side of the connecter has plastic tabs holding the other mating connectors but am hesitant to remove them.
Do I have to remove the top black thin connector and also the bottom thin grey connector to get the center Ignition Plug connector out?

Also I see a yellow colored wire at the end of the Ignition Switch Plug that is about 12 gauge and cut off about 2 inches from the plug. Where would this wire go.

As of right now can not start the car at all and sometimes get the flashing lights on the dash and the power windows inoperative. Making up a resistor bypass for the VATS in case the lock cylinder pellet is not being read.

I am pretty handy fixing electrical and mechanical things and have done all the things necessary to remove the lock cylinder and the actual ignition switch but can't get the underdash plug out.
bighank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Matt M.
AF Newbie

Re: How do I remove Ignition Switch PLUG from connedtor 2002 Buick Regal

In full disclosure, I'm not a mechanic and nowhere near the experience/knowledge others have here on this forum. But I see no one has replied yet to this post.

I've done two ignition switches on my 2000, the last one was just this Sunday. I know of no special trick to disconnect the harness. Both of mine have been a SOB to disconnect. The 7 mm bolt is really the only thing that connects the harness. Once you have it loosened you need to man handle it. I had to lay practically upside down in the drivers seat and get my head and both hands under the dash in order for me to get it to separate. I suppose removing the drivers seat would certainly be easier/roomier, but I wasn't up for that challenge. The black and gray subwiring harnesses will come with it - all as one.

Once you have it disconnected, the black and gray subwiring harness will come out. You'll have to gently pry in between each of them with a flathead screw driver to lift it over the tab on the ignition switch. If you look at your replacement I.S. you'll see the little tab I'm talking about. These are easy peasy in comparison to separating the unit under the dash. It's a bugger.

Good luck.
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Matt is correct....Once you have released the 7mm screw from the center of the harness, just grab the harness and yank on it, it should come out...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Jrcarswell
AF Newbie

When i removed the ignition switch i found out the plastic tab that rotates the switch is broke. I can't seem to find any info on it or replacements. Any ideas?
Jrcarswell is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal