Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #16
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: aparently u guys all drive imports

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimster

No you wouldn't. The VQ35 Maxima would eat your ancient little beater- it even gives the Z28 an allright run for it's money- let's not forget just how much greater a V6 the VQ is compared to the Camaro's one.

Pull your head out of your ass- the rental company wants back thier Catagory H Sports Car- get a V8, a VQ or a Vesectomy- either is allright with me.
hell yeah
my old vq30 95 maxima could beat a v6 stang or camaro
Old 06-20-2003, 11:09 PM   #17
TatII
AF Fanatic

hahaha all those V6 cars were designed for girls who buys the cars only for the looks, and not for the performance. the 3.8 liter cars are totally gutless. my friends 5 speed accord LX coupe can take a V6 stang. and a 6 speed maxima will rape your over weight under powered camaros and mustangs. a 6 speed max can do 0-60 in 6.3 second can dash the 1/4 mile in 14.7-9 seconds. those max's that you beat were probrably automatic max's casue those i admit are slow as hell. but the 3.5 v6's. even though i can beat them, it still wouldn't be that easy for me.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 06-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #18
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Quote:
Originally posted by stangvette1
The camaro 3.4 liter v6 would get OWNED by the mustang 3.8 liter v6. The mustang produces 195 hp compared to the 160 in the 3.4 camaro. Plus the mustang is lighter. The 3.4 camaro won't come close to a GT!
thank you.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:36 AM   #19
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by TatII
the 3.8 liter cars are totally gutless. my friends 5 speed accord LX coupe can take a V6 stang.
Yeah from 96-99 they only had 160 HP-not that hard to beat. However, starting in 2000 they upped it to 200 HP, a big jump. The 2000+ V6 stangs are twice as fast as a 96-99.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #20
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

Whoa, there are alot of misinformed people in this thread. I'm new here and I own a 99 v6 camaro with a borla catback exhaust, slp cold air intake, 3.73s gearing and a few other mods. I run 14s all day.
And running 14s certainly keeps pace if not surpasses mustang gts. Also the gearing will let me smoke a gt by quite a few car lengths to at least 40 mph. Yes I do realize a fully modded GT vs. a fully modded V6 Camaro gt wins. I'm just exemplifying the potential. Also, a GT has never, ever compared to a z28 or a trans am. other than the obvious hp differences (260 vs. 310. The z28 comes with a better exhaust and gearing that the stock gt. It's really not a comparison. Stock late model z28s and trans ams run 5 flat ALL DAY. GTs are lucky to hit 5s.

Base V6 Mustang vs. Base V6 Camaro vs. Base V6 Firebird

The base V6 Mustang is a 3.8 liter motor rated at 193hp and 225ft-lbs of torque. The Camaro and Firebird V6 is also a 3.8 liter rated at 200hp and 225ft-lbs.

The Mustang V6 should help it to 60 in less than 9seconds and will run it through the 1/4 mile in less than 17 seconds. The GM engine will send the Firebird and Camaro twins to 60 in about 7.4 seconds and will click the 1/4 mile traps at around 15.7 seconds. 15.7 secs without the y87 sport package

Mustang GT vs. Camaro Z28 vs. Firebird V8

The Mustang GT steps up the powerplant to a V8 engine displacing 4.6 liters and topping the engine with 'fancier' heads than the Camaro or Firebird. It puts out 260hp and 302ft-lbs of torque, compared to the GM LS1 powerplant (5.7 liters) putting out 310hp and 335ft-lbs of torque.

To make things a little worse here, chassis dyno measurements (measures true rear wheel hp - or how much is hitting the pavement) have shown that Chevrolet and Pontiac are actually underrating the LS1's power figures while Ford's motor actually puts out slightly less than it should.

Performance figures for these levels are in the mid 5 to high second range 0-60 for the GT and low 5 second range for the Z28 and Firebird V8 (or Trans Am). The quarter mile goes by in the low 14 second range for the GT while the GM twins get through it in the mid 13 second area (quite a few car lengths at that speed).

Mustang Cobra vs. Camaro SS vs. Firebird WS6

Stepping up a level in price and performance brings the GM LS1 power figures to 325hp and 345ft-lbs of torque. The Mustang Cobra comes in with a 4.6-liter 4-valve tumble-port V-8. The engine produces 320 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 317 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4750 rpm.

Real world performance got faster by a tenth or two for all three models, with the GM cars going 0-60 in 5 seconds flat (many magazines and outside tests saw high 4 second 0-60 times) and low 13 second quarter mile times. The Cobra hovered around mid 5 seconds for 0-60 and barely cracked into the 13's in the quarter mile (13.9 @ 100mph).

To semi-conclude this chapter, it seems as if the GM cars are a step ahead of the Ford in each match. Ford has taken the high road of technology in their engine, but GM has continued to run more cubic inches of displacement with their 'old-school' pushrod LS1 engine. Since the pricing of these cars is somewhat similar (the Mustangs actually run a bit more), I would have to go with the Camaro Z28 for the best out of all of them, with the Pontiac WS6 (for styling reasons) close behind. If you are looking for performance, the LS1 cars from GM are hard to beat (aren't they Mr. Mustang?).

Another Level? Mustang Cobra R vs. Corvette Z06

Ford's Special Vehicle Team unveiled a new car aimed directly at the Corvette and Viper (according to an SVT spokesman). The Cobra R is a stripped (no a/c, no back seat, no radio) with a bigger, 5.4 liter motor pumping out 385hp and 385ft-lbs of torque. It will run from 0-60 in the mid 4 second range and clear the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds @ 110 mph.

Unfortunately for Ford, Chevrolet has produced the quickest Corvette ever (yes, quicker than the ZR1). The Z06 uses a new LS6 5.7 liter engine producing the exact same hp and torque figures as the Cobra R but pulling in much better performance numbers - 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and 1/4 mile in 12.6 seconds @ 114 mph. It also does this with climate control and a very nice radio

It baffles me to see the Mustang consistently outselling GM's cars which are clearly out-powering the Fords at every level. I'm not sure why the Mustang has come on as such a high seller. At any rate, on any level I would choose the GM product (either Camaro, Firebird, or Trans Am - based on your taste in looks) - they are better built, faster, and (my opinion) better looking.

Here's some info for the misinformed
the 3800 Series II V-6 came out in later models of 1995. Not 2000, where did you get that from?

Secondly, it has been proven that a v6 camaro can whoop a v6 stang. Other than the obvious horsepower differences.
200hp and 225 lb/tq at the flywheel vs. 190 hp and 220lb/tq? could be wrong on the stang torque. I have articles upon articles of stock camaros running low 15s stock. Here's one
http://media.firebirdv6.com/unsunghero.html
it shows runs off a 98 camaro. I know for a fact that v6 stangs run 16-17s stock, and I also know that with an exhaust, they perk to life because they do suffer from a huge bottleneck.

and I have more info where that come from...

1999 V6 camaro, 3.73 LSD, SLP CAI, M5, removed maf screen, Borla Catback
Smokin' GT's all day
1/4=14.43
Old 06-21-2003, 11:46 AM   #21
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

also, 3.4L camaro wouldn't hold anything to a 4.6l gt
Old 06-21-2003, 11:50 AM   #22
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

3.8s gutless? It's one of the most reliable engines ever built! Impala's, monte carlos, gp, regals, centuries, bonnevilles. All reliable cars. I have never seen any of these cars torn to shit. (maybe older buicks). Also think of the TTA's and Grand Nationals. An 89 Turbo Trans Am ran 13s stock! And guess, what, it had a 3.8
Old 06-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #23
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

A response to the maxima post. How much is a brand new maxima? 25k-30k?

You can get a decked out camaro for up to 10k less with the same kind of warranty. And a very well known and trust 3.8. Well known in the sense that it has been around for such a long time that there are countless mods for it.

I wouldn't pay an extra 10k for a maxima
they're uuuggggglllly
Old 06-21-2003, 11:54 AM   #24
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

maximas do not give z28s a run for their money
13 sec. 1/4 mile vs. 14.7 1/4 mile = 10 - 20 car lengths

Old 06-21-2003, 11:59 AM   #25
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
yojcbeast, maybe you could say that all in one post?

Also, your camaro is has mods, we are talking stock to stock.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:02 PM   #26
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

stock to stock, camaros still wins. Also, camaros respond better to my mods than mustangs do
Old 06-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #27
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by yojcbeast

Here's some info for the misinformed
the 3800 Series II V-6 came out in later models of 1995. Not 2000, where did you get that from?

I was talking about the mustang-not the GM cars. In 94-95, the V6 only had 145 HP. 96-99 had 160 HP. 00+ have 190.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:35 PM   #28
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
maximas do not give z28s a run for their money
13 sec. 1/4 mile vs. 14.7 1/4 mile = 10 - 20 car lengths

Camaro: 13.9 1/4, 0-60 in 5.5
Maxima: 14.7 1/4, 0-60 in 5.9

If the Camaro was auto and the Maxima manual, I could see this as being an interesting race. Never underestimate the power of a VQ. I have seen them pull on f-bodies before. I personally have pulled on a '98 Z28 in my 2002 Maxima.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #29
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

Quote:
A response to the maxima post. How much is a brand new maxima? 25k-30k?

You can get a decked out camaro for up to 10k less with the same kind of warranty. And a very well known and trust 3.8. Well known in the sense that it has been around for such a long time that there are countless mods for it.

I wouldn't pay an extra 10k for a maxima
they're uuuggggglllly
my last maxima went 165,000 miles and was still running strong when i traded it in for my new one. let's see any chevy or pontiac go that long without at least one rebuild if not more. you may pay more up front but in the long run my maxima cost me nil for all the fun i got out of it. and i have never had someon look at my car and say "oh, it's only the six cylinder" i'll bet you have.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:22 PM   #30
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Paonessa

my last maxima went 165,000 miles and was still running strong when i traded it in for my new one. let's see any chevy or pontiac go that long without at least one rebuild if not more.
umm, yeah. My dad's 85 chevy G30 van has 260K on the truck, 180K on the second engine. The first engine blew because it was overheated severely. This 350 has 180K and is still going strong, not to mention it's a 1 ton work van that we carry some heavy things with every now and then. Hows that? BTW this engine with 180K has been overheated twice because of faulty thermostats, and the fact that my dad doesn't pay attention to the gauges other than the speedo. So it's been to approx. 260 degrees twice. Carb is messed up(quadrajunk) and the radiator leaks like a siv - have to put a gallon in it every day. HAHA but engine still runs good.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons