Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discuss anything having to do with Toyota Supra here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
ladeedodd
AF Newbie

Exclamation Making my 96 Supra a 9-10 second car...

So I just traded my s2000 for a 96 Supra (no turbo) and am going to attempt to do the majority of the work on my own as opposed to paying it to be done for me like I have done in the past.

What I really need to know, is besides the obvious (going with a turbo), what else can I and should I do? Should I go for an engine swap or just upgrade the stock engine? The engine has 81k miles on it so I am not entirely sure what to do with that. I have a bunch of ideas of what I am going to do with the exterior cosmetics. I am pretty sure that I will go with a Veilside body kit, carbon fiber hood, doors, and fairings, and then lambo the carbon fiber doors.

The other question I would have is what do I do with the interior...I have seen some pictures of Supra's at car shows that have completely scrapped the dash and gone with fiberglass fabrications with gauges, etc. but kind of wanted to know what others in the Supra community thought of things like that.

Anyways...sorry for this being so long, as you can tell I'm kinda excited. I stumbled along this car just 2 days after getting the s2000 and the guy I bought it from was selling my dream car for a price I couldn't refuse and the Carfax was clean and had documentation of the car being inspected.

So if anyone has any help they could throw my way (primarily engine-wise) what would be AWSOME!!!!
ladeedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
anabolicdemon
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to anabolicdemon
Re: Making my 96 Supra a 9-10 second car...

so its not turbo guessing u have the 2jzge not the 2jzgte you can go with a turbo conversion kit, run like a t4 get you up to about 525hp with a few small adjustments like fuel injectors and such, is it manuel or auto and u cant really do an engine swap like if u wanna change the 2jzge to 2jzgte because you'd hafta change trans and all sorts of stuff end up costing you as much as a twin turbo supra itself, but with the single turbo kit you can easily get your supra up to 500hp kit cost about 2000 with the small other mods to bump up horses i looked into it because i am gettin a 95 blue targa non-turbo so did alittle research
anabolicdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
flyinMKIV
AF - Advisor

Send a message via AIM to flyinMKIV
Re: Making my 96 Supra a 9-10 second car...

In order to run any power past 400 HP your going to have to change the tranny out anyways. The only tranny that came in a MKIV supra be it auto or manual that can hold over 500 HP and not break is the v160 6 speed tranny. There really is not an easy way to do what your talking about without spending a good chunk of change.

IMO you should get an engine swap and upgrade the fuel system, tranny, turbo, and suspension. I would also upgrade the brakes as well since there's no point going fast if you can't stop fast ethier. TT brakes would work fine for you.

Engine swap : $1700 which is a J Spec Aristo motor, you need another ecu and wiring harness but it works.

Tranny build : Around $2200 from boostlogic out in Texas if it's an auto.

Turbo Kit : depends on what you want to go with but a 67 trim turbo with a proper tune would get you into the 10's easy. Boostlogic offers it at $3799

Fuel System : $1900 with 75 pound per minute injectors. Again from boostlogic.

Suspension : Tein SS Coilovers is what I run and couldn't be happier with the ride and weight transfer. Prices vary at different vendors.

P.S. I don't normally do this for people on here so if you have technical questions feel free to ask but anything else you need to do your own homework. Good luck with the build.
08 Scion TC (daily driver)
94 Supra Single Turbo (Sold)
97 Top Secret Widebody Supra Turbo (Work in progress)

If your talking trash, I'll be showing my ass
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=535850
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=212356
flyinMKIV is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
96 supra , engine help , engine work , supra , toyota
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > General